background image

Sharp_Shooter

hi,
i'm trying to put a background image onto my html page, but the image should
be fixed, and should have the width and height of a browser (i need to
resize it).
how do i do that (with code)?

so far i've got: :)

<BODY background="back.jpg" bgproperties="fixed">

--
ivan
-

remove "MAKNI" from reply address

Jukka K. Korpela

Sharp_Shooter said:
i'm trying to put a background image onto my html page,

Stop trying. Most pages that have a background image would become better
(maybe _much_ better) if the background image were removed.
but the image should be fixed,

No it shouldn't. Fixing it would make things worse - making text even
less legible.
and should have the width and height of a browser (i
need to resize it).

Not possible.
how do i do that (with code)?

If you specify a background image, do it in CSS, and always specify
background color and content color too.
<BODY background="back.jpg" bgproperties="fixed">

That's proprietary markup, and using CSS for the fixing would "work"
(i.e. do the damage) more often.

You are _not_ ready for using background images yet. It seems that you
intend to use a photograph, or a photograph-like image - that's what
JPEG format is for. And this adds to the legibility problem.

Leif K-Brooks

Sharp_Shooter said:
i'm trying to put a background image onto my html page, but the image should
be fixed

CSS:
body {
background-image: url(back.jpg);
background-attachment: fixed;
}
and should have the width and height of a browser (i need to resize it).

So you want your 800x600 image to look pixelized in my 1280x1024 browser
window? Stop wanting that.

Sharp_Shooter

Leif K-Brooks said:
So you want your 800x600 image to look pixelized in my 1280x1024 browser
window? Stop wanting that.

is there a way to do that?
it doesn't matter why, i just need to do that.

so, the question is, how?

--
ivan
-
No double negatives are not disallowed.

remove "MAKNI" from reply address

Neal

hi,
i'm trying to put a background image onto my html page, but the image
should
be fixed, and should have the width and height of a browser (i need to
resize it).
how do i do that (with code)?

so far i've got: :)

<BODY background="back.jpg" bgproperties="fixed">

That bg will be HUGE to download. And it's likely to make the page
unreadable.

Probably not a good idea to use a large photo as a background. One, even
if you could stretch it, it'll look all pixellated on a lot of viewports
(or distorted, if the viewport isn't at the same ratio as yours). Two, if
it's big enough to not look pixellated at different sizes it'll take far
too long to download.

Sharp_Shooter

Jukka K. Korpela said:
Stop trying. Most pages that have a background image would become better
(maybe _much_ better) if the background image were removed.

if i said that i need that, then i do!
No it shouldn't. Fixing it would make things worse - making text even
less legible.

no, it wouldn't. not in my case.
belive me!
You are _not_ ready for using background images yet. It seems that you
intend to use a photograph, or a photograph-like image - that's what
JPEG format is for. And this adds to the legibility problem.

and you should_think a little bit before you answer.
first of all, i know what jpeg format is for, and
second, the page isn't going to be online, but strictly for offline use!
so, as i see it, it doesn't really matter if the background image is a jpg,
gif or any other format!

i just asked a simple question.

so is there any answer?
something that i can use?

--
ivan
-

Neal said:
Probably not a good idea to use a large photo as a background. One, even
if you could stretch it, it'll look all pixellated on a lot of viewports
(or distorted, if the viewport isn't at the same ratio as yours). Two, if
it's big enough to not look pixellated at different sizes it'll take far
too long to download.

btw. the image size is less that 3 kB, so i think that wouldn't be a
problem.
it also has like 2-3 colors on it, and is not going to be pixelated.

i just stated BACK.JPG as an e.g., FORGET IT, it could also say BACK.GIF,
BACK. ... it doesn't matter!

all i need is a way to resize it!

thnx.

--
ivan
-
No double negatives are not disallowed.

remove "MAKNI" from reply address

Neal

all i need is a way to resize it!

Read through http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/colors.html#q2 - you'll note that
CSS doesn't do that. We've been trying to explain to you why it shouldn't.

Your resistance to see the logic in this suggests you approach this as a
help desk. It is not. It's a discussion. If this ng was all just, "How do
I get my letters red" "CSS color:#ff0000; on the selector for that
element" etc. why would the people qualified to answer questions hang
around? What fun would it be?

The discussion of these questions, rather than the gamesay of
question-answer, makes this ng useful for you.

Stephen T. Fox

Sharp_Shooter wrote:
:: :::
::: Stop trying. Most pages that have a background image would become
::: better (maybe _much_ better) if the background image were removed.
::
[...]
If this is a page for your own use at a known display size, just take the
image to your favorite image manipulating software, make it the size you
want it, and use it as your background.

Stephen

Sharp_Shooter

Stephen T. Fox said:
If this is a page for your own use at a known display size, just take the
image to your favorite image manipulating software, make it the size you
want it, and use it as your background.

no, the problem is that, if i change the resolution, then it wouldn't be a
fullscreen background image.

--
ivan
-
No double negatives are not disallowed.

remove "MAKNI" from reply address

CPA

Read through http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/colors.html#q2 - you'll note that
CSS doesn't do that. We've been trying to explain to you why it shouldn't.

I've noticed that newsgroups pertaining to web design seem to have
replies that veer off away from the straight answer. In this instance
the answer to the OP is that there is no way to do what this person
wants to do. None, nada, not even the 'magic-bullet' of CSS. Ain't
gonna happen with existing code for webpages.

It does get frustrating when a question never receives a direct
answer. Suggestions are OK but gee, give the OP an answer to the
question first?
Your resistance to see the logic in this suggests you approach this as a
help desk. It is not. It's a discussion. If this ng was all just, "How do
I get my letters red" "CSS color:#ff0000; on the selector for that
element" etc.

The 'resistance' is because the question isn't really being answered,
it's being deflected.
why would the people qualified to answer questions hang
around? What fun would it be?

At times I suspect the 'fun' is in expressing opinions as facts. I
use background images. I like background images. There is _nothing_
wrong with using background images. Those who replied to the contrary
are expressing their own preferences not univeral 'truth'.
The discussion of these questions, rather than the gamesay of
question-answer, makes this ng useful for you.

Not really. Avoiding a direct answer to the OP question makes reading
these newsgroups frustrating. Especially for newbies who are foolish
enough to think they will get direct replies to simple questions.

Not wanting to single you out with this reply so don't take this
personally. My comments are for the 'group' who have replied to the
OP and other similar 'groups' who monopolize the threads in other web
design newsgroups.

Charles.Angelich

tech:
http:/www.devedia.com/dosghost/
arts:
http:/www.devedia.com/dosghost/faf/
music
http:/www.devedia.com/dosghost/dos/samples.asp

Toby Inkster

CPA said:
It does get frustrating when a question never receives a direct
answer. Suggestions are OK but gee, give the OP an answer to the
question first?

I'll happily give a straight answer for anyone who wants one. My
consultancy fee is £35/hour.

Toby Inkster

Sharp_Shooter said:
i'm trying to put a background image onto my html page, but the image should
be fixed, and should have the width and height of a browser (i need to
resize it).

Background images can't be resized yet. Resizing of background images is
due in CSS 3.

You may be able to fake it though by stretching an image to 100% width in
CSS and then layering it below the rest of the page using z-index.

Neal

At times I suspect the 'fun' is in expressing opinions as facts. I
use background images. I like background images. There is _nothing_
wrong with using background images. Those who replied to the contrary
are expressing their own preferences not univeral 'truth'.

I love background images too. But I have the sense to realize that serving
them at full-screen is prone to trouble.
Not really. Avoiding a direct answer to the OP question makes reading
these newsgroups frustrating. Especially for newbies who are foolish
enough to think they will get direct replies to simple questions.

Whose fault is that? I blame the ISPs which provide Usenet access without
the requisite advice on what it is and why it exists.
Not wanting to single you out with this reply so don't take this
personally. My comments are for the 'group' who have replied to the
OP and other similar 'groups' who monopolize the threads in other web
design newsgroups.

Certainly not taken personally. But be aware that Usenet has been around a
LONG time, and isn't likely to accept a watering down. Once we resort to
Q+A we lose the attraction this ng holds on the regs. Then it's useless.

The only way this ng can be viable is for the participants to not use it
as a Q+A forum.

Mark Parnell

use background images. I like background images. There is _nothing_
wrong with using background images. Those who replied to the contrary
are expressing their own preferences not univeral 'truth'.

Truth: Background images usually make it harder to read the text on the
page.
Truth: If the background image actually makes the text easier to read,
then it is more difficult to read for anyone with image loading
disabled, or who couldn't download the picture for whatever reason.
Truth: It is very rare that a background image will neither increase nor
decrease legibility.
Opinion: If a background image makes no difference to the legibility of
the page, it is so similar to the plain colour background of the page,
you might as well not use it.

CPA

I love background images too. But I have the sense to realize that serving
them at full-screen is prone to trouble.

True, it's not my first choice but if I were convinced it was the best
way to go I would compensate in whatever ways were available to me.
It's the total 'package' size of the page and number of times the
server must be accessed to retrieve those parts that determines the
overall speed of the page.
Whose fault is that? I blame the ISPs which provide Usenet access without
the requisite advice on what it is and why it exists.

No message system exists to enable it's users to taunt one another,
well maybe slashdot but not many others. ;-)
Certainly not taken personally. But be aware that Usenet has been around a
LONG time, and isn't likely to accept a watering down. Once we resort to
Q+A we lose the attraction this ng holds on the regs. Then it's useless.

I have mixed feelings about quantity of users over quality of users.
I guess I'm old fashioned in that regard.
The only way this ng can be viable is for the participants to not use it
as a Q+A forum.

All forums are Q&A to some degree. It's the nature of the beast.

Charles.Angelich

tech:
http:/www.devedia.com/dosghost/
arts:
http:/www.devedia.com/dosghost/faf/
music
http:/www.devedia.com/dosghost/dos/samples.asp

Spartanicus

CPA said:
I've noticed that newsgroups pertaining to web design seem to have
replies that veer off away from the straight answer.

This is a discussion group, we discuss the implications of what people
propose. A reply may contain something useful, but that's entirely
optional. This isn't a helpdesk.
In this instance
the answer to the OP is that there is no way to do what this person
wants to do. None, nada, not even the 'magic-bullet' of CSS. Ain't
gonna happen with existing code for webpages.

Incorrect. Instead of helping him to do something stupid, we've pointed
out that the OP should stop wanting that.

WebcastMaker

Truth: Background images usually make it harder to read the text on the
page.

Totally depends on the image and it is used.
Truth: If the background image actually makes the text easier to read,
then it is more difficult to read for anyone with image loading
disabled, or who couldn't download the picture for whatever reason.
Truth: It is very rare that a background image will neither increase nor
decrease legibility.

Totally depends on the image and how it is used
Opinion: If a background image makes no difference to the legibility of
the page, it is so similar to the plain colour background of the page,
you might as well not use it.

Not disagreeing with you, but your answers seem to imply you are
limiting what the background image is, how it is being used, and what
the page layout might be.

A background image with multiple sections and curves can make a site
look very intricate when it is really a simple layout.

YMMV

...D.

no, the problem is that, if i change the resolution, then it wouldn't be a
fullscreen background image.

That's why you amke it a 1280 x 1024 image (not many users at 1600 x 1200
I do not think). And make sure it is an image that has good content so
that those people seeing it at 1024 x 768 or 800 x 600 feel it is a
complete image. And use Irfanview to reformulate the jpg to get it down
under 100 KBs. I wouldn't do a bg image anymore, but my 1st website was
that way. I didn't even know what tables were.

Which BTW, now that i think about it, why not this? You could make a big
table at a set size, say optimized for 800 x 600 viewers - you can add a
bg image to a table, right? Make the table the same size as the image.
There you go, a fixed size background image in a big table. center the
table, and have no borders showing for the table. (you can center a table,
right?? I know left or right, so you should be able to center one - if not
then put it to the left.)

Hmmm... why can't that work?

...D.