    New Bright uses images and javascript, but I think that has
    inflexibility due to download times being longer, and also creating a
    dependence to client based scripts.

    Trevor, Sep 7, 2003

  2. Trevor

    Joe Patrick Guest

    > The toy site at
    >
    > http://www.newbright.com
    >
    > shows a more interesting background. (Newbright is a large
    > manufacturer of toys.)
    >
    > New Bright uses images and javascript, but I think that has
    > inflexibility due to download times being longer, and also creating a
    > dependence to client based scripts.

    <BODY background="imagename.whatever">
    Just replace the <Body> tag with that and put an image at the end

    Joe Patrick, Sep 7, 2003

  3. Trevor

    Headless Guest

    Joe Patrick wrote:

    ><BODY background="imagename.whatever">
    >Just replace the <Body> tag with that and put an image at the end

    1997 code, the world has moved on since then, try CSS.

    Headless

    --
    Email and usenet filter list: http://www.headless.dna.ie/usenet.htm

    Headless, Sep 7, 2003
  4. Trevor

    Joe Patrick Guest

    > ><BODY background="imagename.whatever">
    > >Just replace the <Body> tag with that and put an image at the end

    > 1997 code, the world has moved on since then, try CSS.

    Not all browsers support that, besides - its easier for most people!
    --
    To reply direct, Remove NOSPAM and Replace with 21fun
    For the latest News, Information and Photos check out

    Joe Patrick, Sep 7, 2003
  5. Trevor

    Headless Guest

    Joe Patrick wrote:

    >> ><BODY background="imagename.whatever">
    >> >Just replace the <Body> tag with that and put an image at the end

    >> 1997 code, the world has moved on since then, try CSS.

    >Not all browsers support that, besides - its easier for most people!

    A 1997 argument, it's 2003 now sleepy.

    Headless

    --
    Email and usenet filter list: http://www.headless.dna.ie/usenet.htm

    Headless, Sep 7, 2003
  6. Trevor

    C A Upsdell Guest

    "Joe Patrick" <> wrote in message
    > > ><BODY background="imagename.whatever">
    > > >Just replace the <Body> tag with that and put an image at the end

    > > 1997 code, the world has moved on since then, try CSS.

    > Not all browsers support that, besides - its easier for most people!

    Easier? Let me see: if I want to change the BODY attribute, I have to
    update all HTML files; if I want to change CSS, I have to update one CSS
    file. Doesn't CSS seem simpler?

    C A Upsdell, Sep 7, 2003
  7. Trevor

    Trevor Guest

    "Joe Patrick" <> wrote in message news:<bjerhd$pq7$>...
    > > The toy site at
    > >
    > > http://www.newbright.com
    > >
    > > shows a more interesting background. (Newbright is a large
    > > manufacturer of toys.)
    > >
    > > New Bright uses images and javascript, but I think that has
    > > inflexibility due to download times being longer, and also creating a
    > > dependence to client based scripts.

    > <BODY background="imagename.whatever">
    > Just replace the <Body> tag with that and put an image at the end

    The problem is actually not knowing the screen attributes (eg size) of
    the client. The fading effect can easily be distorted. Is there any
    neat way of doing it. I coded 800 pixels on a fading strip - right to
    left - and saw it on a 1200 px screen and it looked less than good.

    Examples I have seen all use a template setup with a lot of
    Javascript, I hoped something simple was around.

    Trevor, Sep 16, 2003
  8. Trevor

    rf Guest

    "Trevor" <> wrote in message
    > I am writing a toy site, and it needs a more fun and playful
    > background. Is an image the only way of effecting more than a plain
    > colour?
    >
    > The toy site at
    >
    > http://www.newbright.com
    >
    > shows a more interesting background. (Newbright is a large
    > manufacturer of toys.)
    >
    > New Bright uses images and javascript, but I think that has
    > inflexibility due to download times being longer, and also creating a
    > dependence to client based scripts.

    Hmmm. Gradiants. Resiseable ones?

    Are you looking for something like
    http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/tricks/rainbows2.htm

    Carefull though, I wrote that in 1997 :)

    cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Sep 16, 2003
  9. Trevor wrote:

    > The problem is actually not knowing the screen attributes (eg size) of
    > the client. The fading effect can easily be distorted. Is there any
    > neat way of doing it. I coded 800 pixels on a fading strip - right to
    > left - and saw it on a 1200 px screen and it looked less than good.

    With CSS 3 we will be able to specify that a background image should be
    streched to cover its entire container, but alas CSS 3 is a distant dream
    (Opera 7 has some preliminary CSS 3 support, but not for this part of CSS
    3. Mozilla has a tiny amount of CSS 3 too, but again not for this.)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Sep 16, 2003