Basic CSS positioning Question??

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Spartanicus, Sep 5, 2004.

  1. Spartanicus

    Spartanicus Guest

    "m" <> wrote:

    >I am trying to get the basics of positioning and have a problem in trying to
    >get the footer to appear at the bottom of the page regardles of how much
    >content there is.

    Don't bother, IE doesn't support it, in UAs that support it is to
    fragile (you'd need to size the height of the footer in %).

    Btw, don't post code to the group, post a url.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Sep 5, 2004

  2. Spartanicus <> wrote:

    > "m" <> wrote:

    - -
    > Btw, don't post code to the group, post a url.

    Actually "m" seems to be multiposting the same question around, probably
    carefully avoiding the most adequate group. It looks pointless to try to
    help her or him under such conditions.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Sep 5, 2004

  3. Spartanicus

    Toby Inkster Guest

    m wrote:

    > position: absolute;

    .... is usually a bad idea.

    Just float your side bar to the left, add a few margins and padding and
    let normal flow do the rest.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Now Playing ~ ./elton_john/tiny_dancer.ogg
    Toby Inkster, Sep 5, 2004
  4. Spartanicus

    Spartanicus Guest

    Top posting is not appreciated here, corrected this once.

    "m" <> wrote:

    >>>I am trying to get the basics of positioning and have a problem in trying
    >>>to get the footer to appear at the bottom of the page regardles of how much
    >>>content there is.

    >> Don't bother, IE doesn't support it, in UAs that support it is to
    >> fragile (you'd need to size the height of the footer in %).

    >Thanks for the advice. Can you tell me a better way to get the text I want
    >to be at the bottom of the page to appear there.

    Didn't I just tell you that it's not possible to get this to work?

    Let the footer position itself below the content, go with the flow.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Sep 5, 2004
  5. Spartanicus

    Spartanicus Guest

    Spartanicus <> wrote:

    >"m" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I am trying to get the basics of positioning and have a problem in trying to
    >>get the footer to appear at the bottom of the page regardles of how much
    >>content there is.

    >Don't bother, IE doesn't support it, in UAs that support it is to
    >fragile (you'd need to size the height of the footer in %).

    Oops, I got mixed up with another example I drew up for someone
    recently. It should have read:

    To get it to "work" in IE you'd need to size the footer as a percentage
    of the viewport height, this is almost certainly unacceptable. It also
    throws up other unacceptable issues.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Sep 5, 2004
  6. Spartanicus

    m Guest

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > Spartanicus <> wrote:
    >

    >>"m" <> wrote:

    > - -
    >
    >>Btw, don't post code to the group, post a url.

    > Actually "m" seems to be multiposting the same question around, probably
    > carefully avoiding the most adequate group. It looks pointless to try to
    > help her or him under such conditions.

    Just for clarification, this guy is not the same 'm' that normally posts
    to this group.
    --
    m (the real one) http://www.mbstevens.com/
    m, Sep 5, 2004
  7. Spartanicus

    Sam Hughes Guest

    m <> wrote in

    > Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    >
    >> Actually "m" seems to be multiposting the same question around,
    >> probably carefully avoiding the most adequate group. It looks
    >> pointless to try to help her or him under such conditions.
    >>

    > Just for clarification, this guy is not the same 'm' that normally
    > posts to this group.
    > --
    > m (the real one) http://www.mbstevens.com/

    Then why not just use your name in the From line?
    Sam Hughes, Sep 5, 2004
  8. Spartanicus

    mbstevens Guest

    Sam Hughes wrote:
    > m <> wrote in
    >

    >>Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    >>

    >>>Actually "m" seems to be multiposting the same question around,
    >>>probably carefully avoiding the most adequate group. It looks
    >>>pointless to try to help her or him under such conditions.
    >>>

    >>Just for clarification, this guy is not the same 'm' that normally
    >>posts to this group.
    >>--
    >>m (the real one) http://www.mbstevens.com/

    > Then why not just use your name in the From line?

    Well, that's a good point. I've been sticking with it
    to avoid confusion, which is obviously not working.
    So, good Sam, I'll hereby renounce "m" and begin
    using...
    --
    mbstevens http://www.mbstevens.com/
    ....or some such damn thing.
    mbstevens, Sep 5, 2004
  9. Spartanicus

    m Guest

    I am trying to get the basics of positioning and have a problem in trying to
    get the footer to appear at the bottom of the page regardles of how much
    content there is. For those that can answer my question the simple page
    below should explain my limited knowledge better.

    thanks in anticipation:

    <head>
    <title>
    Css Basics
    </title>
    body {
    font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;
    }

    a {
    color: red;
    text-decoration: none;
    font-weight: bold;
    }

    #Header {
    position: absolute;
    left: 25px;
    top: 10px;
    }

    #MainText{
    position: absolute;
    left: 225px;
    top: 100px;
    margin-right: 25px;
    }

    #SideBar{
    position: absolute;
    color: green;
    left: 25px;
    top: 100px;
    width: 175px;
    }

    #Footer{
    position: absolute;
    bottom: 20px;
    left: 25px;
    color: silver;
    font-size: 65%;
    }

    </head>
    <h1>CSS Basics :: Positioning</h1>

    <ul>
    <li>link one</li>
    <li>link two</li>
    <li>link three</li>
    <li>link four</li>
    </ul>

    The text created by the ID tag #MainText is used for the

    main content area of the page.<br />

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, Lester consectetuer adipiscing

    elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet

    dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim

    veniam, quis nostrud esse molestie consequat, vel illum

    dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan

    et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit sdlkfl klsdf!!<br />

    praesent luptatum zzril delenit augue duis dolore te

    feugait nulla facilisi.Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,

    consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh

    euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat

    volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud

    exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut

    aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis autem vel eum iriure

    dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie

    consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at

    vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qu

    Standard footer text appears here on every page.

    m, Sep 6, 2004
  10. Spartanicus

    m Guest

    Thanks for the advice. Can you tell me a better way to get the text I want
    to be at the bottom of the page to appear there. Everything I try gets the
    result posted or, the text appears over the top of the heading?

    cheers
    Michael

    m, Sep 6, 2004
  11. Spartanicus

    m Guest

    No I'm not multi posting. What happened was, I have not used this group
    before and when I first searched for newsgroups I found one that didn't
    appear to be as popular as this one. So I posted to this one tinking that
    help might be quicker.

    m, Sep 6, 2004
  12. Spartanicus

    m Guest

    Perpaps I'm not explaining my lack of knowledge well enough. I'd be happy
    having the footer text appear at the bottom of the page in any way - plain
    html or css.
    The problem I'm having is the text appears at the top of the page - over the
    text defined by the style.

    m, Sep 6, 2004