Basic CSS query

Discussion in 'HTML' started by KiwiBrian, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. KiwiBrian

    KiwiBrian Guest

    I wish to have an image tile down the right hand side of the fluid page as
    if it was part of the background.
    The intention is to have the page imitate the look of an American football
    pitch with the markings down each side of the page.
    I have a tiling graphic as the background which takes care of the page
    background and the left side markings.
    I have created an image to tile down the right side showing the markings,
    but need to know how to control it in the CSS.

    A second aspect to the query is how would I specify that the total
    background effect be:-
    (1) Stationary as the page is scrolled vertically,
    (2) Scroll with the page contents.

    Many thanks
    Brian Tozer
     
    KiwiBrian, Jul 11, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. KiwiBrian

    Brian Guest

    KiwiBrian wrote:
    > I wish to have an image tile down the right hand side of the fluid page as
    > if it was part of the background.
    > The intention is to have the page imitate the look of an American football
    > pitch with the markings down each side of the page.
    > I have a tiling graphic as the background which takes care of the page
    > background and the left side markings.
    > I have created an image to tile down the right side showing the markings,
    > but need to know how to control it in the CSS.


    with background and related properties.

    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/colors.html#q2

    Something like

    body {
    background-image: url("marble.gif") ;
    background-position: top-right ;
    background-repeat: repeat-y ;
    }

    > A second aspect to the query is how would I specify that the total
    > background effect be:-
    > (1) Stationary as the page is scrolled vertically,
    > (2) Scroll with the page contents.


    These two are contradictory, of course. In order, it's
    background-attachment: fixed ;
    background-attachment: scroll ;

    --
    Brian
    follow the directions in my address to email me
     
    Brian, Jul 11, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. KiwiBrian

    Greg Schmidt Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 18:33:32 GMT, Brian
    <-remove-this-part> wrote:

    >KiwiBrian wrote:
    >> I wish to have an image tile down the right hand side of the fluid page as
    >> if it was part of the background.
    >> The intention is to have the page imitate the look of an American football
    >> pitch with the markings down each side of the page.
    >> I have a tiling graphic as the background which takes care of the page
    >> background and the left side markings.
    >> I have created an image to tile down the right side showing the markings,
    >> but need to know how to control it in the CSS.

    >
    >with background and related properties.
    >
    >http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/colors.html#q2
    >
    >Something like
    >
    >body {
    > background-image: url("marble.gif") ;
    > background-position: top-right ;
    > background-repeat: repeat-y ;
    >}


    I think that this may not help, as he says he already has a background
    graphic for the left side of the page. AFAIK there is no way to put two
    background images on (under?) the same element. The only thing that
    comes to mind is to put a narrow DIV on the right side, just wide enough
    for the graphic, but that implies using HTML for presentation, plus
    you'll be back shortly posting about how to get it to go all the way to
    the bottom of the page. I guess you might be able to do something
    involving tables or frames, but that's like using a hammer for brain
    surgery.

    --
    Greg Schmidt ()
    Trawna Publications (http://www.trawna.com/)
     
    Greg Schmidt, Jul 11, 2003
    #3
  4. KiwiBrian

    KiwiBrian Guest

    "Jacqui or (maybe) Pete" wrote
    > Brian wrote


    > > I wish to have an image tile down the right hand side of the fluid page

    as
    > > if it was part of the background.
    > > The intention is to have the page imitate the look of an American

    football
    > > pitch with the markings down each side of the page.


    > Maybe something like: http://porjes.haxorz.org/one.html


    Wonderful!!!
    Thanks so much.
    It doesn't matter, but I am interested in why the side graphics are not
    fixed. They scroll with the page even tho the CSS says fixed. I am using
    IE6.

    #all1 {
    background: transparent url('gridbck1.jpg') top left repeat-y fixed;
    }
    #all2 {
    background: transparent url('gridbackright.jpg') top right repeat-y
    fixed;
    padding: 1ex 80px;
    }

    Brian Tozer
     
    KiwiBrian, Jul 12, 2003
    #4
  5. KiwiBrian wrote:

    > It doesn't matter, but I am interested in why the side graphics are not
    > fixed. They scroll with the page even tho the CSS says fixed. I am using
    > IE6.

    Because IE sucks.
     
    Leif K-Brooks, Jul 12, 2003
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    6
    Views:
    3,391
    Steven Cheng[MSFT]
    Jun 29, 2005
  2. Brian Tozer

    Basic query

    Brian Tozer, Oct 4, 2003, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    431
    Brian Tozer
    Oct 5, 2003
  3. Replies:
    5
    Views:
    414
    David Dorward
    May 14, 2006
  4. Engineer
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    679
    Jeremy Bowers
    May 1, 2005
  5. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    478
Loading...

Share This Page