    Is this correct?
    If there is an FAQ or another resource let me know.
    , Feb 4, 2006

  2. Front end would be the user interface. In Java, this could be developed in
    Swing, AWT, SWT or some other toolkit. It could also be a web-based
    (browser) client, although this would not be a "Java" front end.

    Middle tier is where the application business logic lives. It deals with the
    problem of "what to do with the user's request, and what to send back to
    them". It can be developed in J2EE (EJB, JSP, servlets etc.) or POJO (Plain
    Old Java Objects), leveraging some home-made framework.

    As for the back end, this is usally (but not invariably) a relational
    database.

    An application is made of all three layers; it is not just the "front end".

    HTH

    Alex Molochnikov
    Gestalt Corporation

    Alex Molochnikov, Feb 4, 2006