Basic question about compiling

simplicity

As far as any given responder is concerned, we all have our strengths.
None of us are good with all the domain areas, nor with all types of
questions. By and large Lew is among the more consistently good
responders in the NG, but he'll be a mismatch for some posters. We all
are from time to time. Best thing to do is suck it up, you'll eventually
get a suitable answer, like this time from Knute. Doesn't mean that the
next time you ask on this group that your best answer won't come from Lew..

I get your point. I overreacted a bit, mostly because it was so
different to how I would handle this situation.

Case closed. I wish Lew the best. And if we all can reflect a bit for
the future from this thread... well, I will take a credit for
it :):).

Arne Vajhøj

Disagreed. Just ask yourself this question: how long would you survive
in the organization if you gave your colleague the "RTFM answer"? I
thing you would be a history before the day's end.

No.

The one asking the question would be history.

Companies also have some expectations of the skill level of their
people.

If someone does not meet those requirements, then it is not the
rest of the employees responsibility to do that persons job - it is
the managers responsibility to get that person out.
Who are we to make ruling on "expectations in the group"?

That is a collective somewhat fuzzy decision.

BTW, I believe that it comp.lang.java.help has set the bar
significant lower than comp.lang.java.programmer about
what is OK to ask and what people should RTFM.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

"simplicity", you seriously need to get over yourself. This is not your
personal, private little slave pool to offer answers to any questions you ask
and take abuse from you. This is a Usenet *discussion* group, and any help you
get is at the discretion and voluntary desire to help of the other
participants.

It is just too bad for you that you didn't find my answer helpful, but that is
not any kind of excuse for your rudeness and ingratitude and downright
snarkiness. You have no basis whatsoever for this arrogant attitude of
entitlement you evince, nor have I done anything so rude as to merit the kind
of personal attack in which you've engaged. The answers I gave are helpful to
you, should you get down off your high horse to do the kind of studying and
learning you so clearly need to do. As Arne said, this newsgroup will point
you to basic documentation if that exists for basic questions such as yours.

It is a personal failing on your part, and a darned shame, "simplicity", that
you cannot or will not observe the rudiments of basic human decency and
understand your proper place here. We are all equals here; none of us is your
subordinate, not that you should behave that way to subordinates either.

Another bad day??

Arne

simplicity

No.

The one asking the question would be history.

Companies also have some expectations of the skill level of their
people.

In the "normal" development team some 60% of people are junior level.
I don't know what it may mean to you but for me "junior" means "do not
expect me to know everything".
If someone does not meet those requirements, then it is not the
rest of the employees responsibility to do that persons job

In the team environments it is. And actually nothing counts more than
that.
- it is
the managers responsibility to get that person out.

Big words for a small problem. You will deny someone 30 second (or 10
minutes for that matter) of your time and expose that person to
disciplinary measures in the name of "doing that persons job"? Did I
get it correctly?

Why don't you just call things as they are? In this case it is that
usenet forums like this sometime attract people whose main objective
is to enhance their self perception, from the safety of their homes
and often anonymously.

Anyway, personally I think that the attitude which you seem to justify
and defend sucks. OTOH, I know that it is unlikely for it to change as
the result of this exchange. Hence, "over and out".

Arne Vajhøj

In the "normal" development team some 60% of people are junior level.
I don't know what it may mean to you but for me "junior" means "do not
expect me to know everything".

I would definitely expect the 60% most junior of team to know
something.

But even if you were right then it is irrelevant.

We are not claiming that there are no groups with zero expectations - we
are just claiming that there are groups with some expectation.

To use the job analogy we are claiming that there are position where
skills are expected.
In the team environments it is.

No. That is a misunderstanding of team environment. It is not
benefiting anyone that the team covers for a team member
that are not capable of doing the job.

Big words for a small problem. You will deny someone 30 second (or 10
minutes for that matter) of your time and expose that person to
disciplinary measures in the name of "doing that persons job"? Did I
get it correctly?

You are missing the point. If someone does not have the competence, then
then it is not one question but ten or twenty questions every day until
the manager finally figures it out and kick the person out anyway.
Why don't you just call things as they are? In this case it is that
usenet forums like this sometime attract people whose main objective
is to enhance their self perception, from the safety of their homes
and often anonymously.

Well - you post under anonymity while I post under my name, so
I will assume you are talking about yourself.

Arne

Jukka Lahtinen

Disagreed. Just ask yourself this question: how long would you survive
in the organization if you gave your colleague the "RTFM answer"? I

An RTFM answer is often a good one when it points to the right FM.
Why quote a snippet from the documents, when the person with the problem
can read it straight from the source and at the same time have more
context than what would be reasonable to quote?

RedGrittyBrick

Disagreed. Just ask yourself this question: how long would you survive
in the organization if you gave your colleague the "RTFM answer"? I
thing you would be a history before the day's end.

You mean:

Joe: Hey Sue what's Jeremy's phone number?

Sue: I can't recall it at the moment, it's in the company phone book,
the blue book over there by your elbow.

Boss: Sue, get your coat!

Why would this forum be any different than the organization we work
for?

Pay, contracts, personal face-to-face relationships with work-colleagues.

Basically, my boss won't fire me for not helping some random stranger in
a different part of the planet (more likely the opposite).

I help random strangers because I enjoy helping people and sharing
ideas. If they make that unpleasant, I don't.