Basic question about web programming

tamiry

I'd like to erite a simple perl script that will accept a URL
as input, will go to that web site, look for pdf files that are
referenced there and will download them.
What I don't have a clue about is the first part, how to access the
remote URL, and read the html text.
I'm kinda sure it shouldn't be complicated with perl.
Please can any one direct me to an online book or article ?
I tried looking for "web programming" but it gave me web server
applications. Maybe I just don't know what I'm looking for ?

lot's of thanks.

Josef Moellers

tamiry said:
I'd like to erite a simple perl script that will accept a URL
as input, will go to that web site, look for pdf files that are
referenced there and will download them.
What I don't have a clue about is the first part, how to access the
remote URL, and read the html text.
I'm kinda sure it shouldn't be complicated with perl.
Please can any one direct me to an online book or article ?
I tried looking for "web programming" but it gave me web server
applications. Maybe I just don't know what I'm looking for ?

lot's of thanks.

Look at LWP::Simple

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

tamiry said:
I'd like to erite a simple perl script that will accept a URL
as input, will go to that web site, look for pdf files that are
referenced there and will download them.
What I don't have a clue about is the first part, how to access the
remote URL, and read the html text.
I'm kinda sure it shouldn't be complicated with perl.
Please can any one direct me to an online book or article ?

How about the Perl documentation?

http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?LWP::Simple

Sherm Pendley

tamiry said:
I'd like to erite a simple perl script that will accept a URL
as input, will go to that web site, look for pdf files that are
referenced there and will download them.
What I don't have a clue about is the first part, how to access the
remote URL, and read the html text.
I'm kinda sure it shouldn't be complicated with perl.
Please can any one direct me to an online book or article ?

Have a look at these modules:
WWW::Mechanize
LWP

You can read about them at CPAN:
I tried looking for "web programming" but it gave me web server
applications. Maybe I just don't know what I'm looking for ?

You should narrow the search by googling for "Perl web client
programming" - you want to write a client app, after all, and you want
to do it in Perl.

That will get you a fairly focused set of hits. Most of them will be
examples and tutorials concerning the above two modules.

sherm--