    I tried looking for "web programming" but it gave me web server
    applications. Maybe I just don't know what I'm looking for ?

    lot's of thanks.

    tamiry, Apr 12, 2005

  2. tamiry wrote:
    > I'd like to erite a simple perl script that will accept a URL
    > as input, will go to that web site, look for pdf files that are
    > referenced there and will download them.
    > What I don't have a clue about is the first part, how to access the
    > remote URL, and read the html text.
    > I'm kinda sure it shouldn't be complicated with perl.
    > Please can any one direct me to an online book or article ?
    > I tried looking for "web programming" but it gave me web server
    > applications. Maybe I just don't know what I'm looking for ?
    >
    > lot's of thanks.

    Look at LWP::Simple

    --
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)
    -- T. Pratchett

    Josef Moellers, Apr 12, 2005

  3. tamiry wrote:
    > I'd like to erite a simple perl script that will accept a URL
    > as input, will go to that web site, look for pdf files that are
    > referenced there and will download them.
    > What I don't have a clue about is the first part, how to access the
    > remote URL, and read the html text.
    > I'm kinda sure it shouldn't be complicated with perl.
    > Please can any one direct me to an online book or article ?

    How about the Perl documentation?

    http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?LWP::Simple

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Apr 12, 2005
  4. tamiry wrote:

    > I'd like to erite a simple perl script that will accept a URL
    > as input, will go to that web site, look for pdf files that are
    > referenced there and will download them.
    > What I don't have a clue about is the first part, how to access the
    > remote URL, and read the html text.
    > I'm kinda sure it shouldn't be complicated with perl.
    > Please can any one direct me to an online book or article ?

    Have a look at these modules:
    WWW::Mechanize
    LWP

    You can read about them at CPAN:
    <http://search.cpan.org>

    > I tried looking for "web programming" but it gave me web server
    > applications. Maybe I just don't know what I'm looking for ?

    You should narrow the search by googling for "Perl web client
    programming" - you want to write a client app, after all, and you want
    to do it in Perl.

    That will get you a fairly focused set of hits. Most of them will be
    examples and tutorials concerning the above two modules.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Apr 12, 2005
  5. tamiry

    Guest