BattleShip Game App using Swing

KDawg44

Hi,

For a class I am taking I have to write a Battleship game. I am using
Swing to program a GUI and I would like to make it so that there are
two panes holding the 11x11 grid for the spots on the computer's and
the player's boards. I would like the position of the ships on the
players board to be marked somehow and I would like the user to be
able to click on the a spot on the other board to choose their shot
when it is there turn. I would like to also prevent them from
choosing the same spot twice.

What should I use to create the boards in Swing? What would be the
best way to try to accomplish something like this? I would also like
to use images to show results, red X if its a miss, and an explosion
image if it is on. And also an image of a ship for the positions on
the player's board.

My project does not require all this GUI work, it is more text based
using Java Sockets but I am interested in the GUI part and Swing.

Thanks very much in advance for any direction you provide and I look
forward to the challenge. I am an average Java developer but not that
great when it comes to GUIs.

Thanks.