beginner basic question..jdbc

Discussion in 'Java' started by peon1000002, Feb 16, 2005.

  1. peon1000002

    peon1000002 Guest

    Hi-

    i am a hobbyist trying to find a program to create in java that uses java +
    swing + jdbc. it has to be basic because it will be my first java program.
    so far i came up with an address book + task manager or an organizer .

    basically my approach is to find something downloadable that has good
    documentation and try to mimic some of its basic features. what i produce
    is never as good or better than the original so no harm done.

    is jdbc 3.0 still ok to learn? i have a book picked out window shopping .
    is it still ok to pick up a used copy of this?

    i am leaning towards an organizer because i have no idea on how to export
    addresses to outlook express. the sending email part i can probably get
    because i read there was a tutorial on it. it would be cool to have all 3
    (address book,tasks,organizer) though.

    thanks for any input.
    jm

    website address:
    3rdshiftcoder.com

    peon1000002, Feb 16, 2005

  2. peon1000002 wrote:

    > is jdbc 3.0 still ok to learn? i have a book picked out window shopping .
    > is it still ok to pick up a used copy of this?

    JDBC 3.0 is fine. You can also ask for help on usenet, though I would recommend you use
    comp.lang.java.databases for JDBC questions.

    --
    Lee Fesperman, FFE Software, Inc. (http://www.firstsql.com)
    * The Ultimate DBMS is here!

    Lee Fesperman, Feb 16, 2005

  3. peon1000002

    Malte Guest

    peon1000002 wrote:
    > Hi-
    >

    > i am a hobbyist trying to find a program to create in java that uses java +
    > swing + jdbc. it has to be basic because it will be my first java program.
    > so far i came up with an address book + task manager or an organizer .
    >
    > basically my approach is to find something downloadable that has good
    > documentation and try to mimic some of its basic features. what i produce
    > is never as good or better than the original so no harm done.
    >
    > is jdbc 3.0 still ok to learn? i have a book picked out window shopping .
    > is it still ok to pick up a used copy of this?
    >
    > i am leaning towards an organizer because i have no idea on how to export
    > addresses to outlook express. the sending email part i can probably get
    > because i read there was a tutorial on it. it would be cool to have all 3
    > (address book,tasks,organizer) though.
    >
    > thanks for any input.
    > jm
    >
    > website address:
    > 3rdshiftcoder.com

    I'd start slowly and build you data and business logic first, without
    the GUI. After you figure out the rdbms stuff and after you have your
    object model in place, you can glue the GUI on to it.

    Malte, Feb 16, 2005
  4. peon1000002

    Noah Fiedel Guest

    Hi Jm,
    Depending on your goal (start a new job w/Java, learn for school,
    learn for fun) I would suggest starting with something more simple.
    I've studied CS formally and also done Java programming since 1997, and
    you've picked some tough technologies to start with.
    Each of: Java, Swing, JDBC are worthy of their own "learn xyz in
    21 days" type of books. I would suggest starting with a good Java book
    that touches on light-weight JDBC *or* Swing. Take it really easy, as
    one of the more difficult skills in Java is learning how to glue
    multiple APIs together. Java as a language is one thing, but Swing and
    JDBC are complex APIs with their own learning curves.
    Anyhow - good luck!

    Noah Fiedel, Feb 16, 2005
  5. peon1000002

    peon1000002 Guest

    Thanks Noah, Lee, and Malte for the advice and information.
    i will follow it carefully. i'm sure it will help.
    jm

    peon1000002, Feb 16, 2005
  6. peon1000002

    steve Guest

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:03:13 +0800, peon1000002 wrote
    (in article <Xns95FF14E4C521Bleavemealone@130.81.64.196>):

    > Hi-
    >

    > i am a hobbyist trying to find a program to create in java that uses java +
    > swing + jdbc. it has to be basic because it will be my first java program.
    > so far i came up with an address book + task manager or an organizer .
    >
    > basically my approach is to find something downloadable that has good
    > documentation and try to mimic some of its basic features. what i produce
    > is never as good or better than the original so no harm done.
    >
    > is jdbc 3.0 still ok to learn? i have a book picked out window shopping .
    > is it still ok to pick up a used copy of this?
    >
    > i am leaning towards an organizer because i have no idea on how to export
    > addresses to outlook express. the sending email part i can probably get
    > because i read there was a tutorial on it. it would be cool to have all 3
    > (address book,tasks,organizer) though.
    >
    > thanks for any input.
    > jm
    >
    > website address:
    > 3rdshiftcoder.com

    Already have an active project for this inside the company i work for.

    first of all , look at what data you need to store,.
    Then what is exportable from outlook express ( i used C.S.V)

    Finally expand that requirement to the data set you want to store.

    then draw up a step by step procedure of what you want your program to do ,
    in english( or what other language you use)

    do not just "crack " open a GUI designer.
    If you are not clear from the start what information you are storing , you
    will continually be re-writing your JDBC code & the database table format.

    Be very clear about how you are going to store the data, for example:

    telephone numbers.
    many programmers just store a telephone number, and a country code.
    it is better to split the number down:

    country code
    area code
    actual number