Beginner question pt.2

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Calvin, May 19, 2009.

  1. Calvin

    Calvin Guest

    When I type this into the terminal it works... but I am wondering if I
    am going about things the right way:

    $ /opt/local/bin/ruby1.9 -v

    $ cd

    $ cd Desktop

    $ cd programs

    $ ruby1.9 calc.rb

    then the math equation answer from calc.rb shows up in the terminal.
    Am I correct in thinking that ruby 1.9.1 is the ruby that is working
    and not ruby 1.8.6?

    Thank you for your time,

    Calvin Stephens

    Calvin, May 19, 2009

  2. On 19.05.2009 05:33, Calvin wrote:
    > When I type this into the terminal it works... but I am wondering if I
    > am going about things the right way:
    >
    > $ /opt/local/bin/ruby1.9 -v
    >
    > $ cd
    >
    > $ cd Desktop
    >
    > $ cd programs
    >
    > $ ruby1.9 calc.rb
    >
    > then the math equation answer from calc.rb shows up in the terminal.
    > Am I correct in thinking that ruby 1.9.1 is the ruby that is working
    > and not ruby 1.8.6?

    It's likely but program names can be changed arbitrarily. If you want
    to be sure you can easily find out by entering

    ruby1.9 -v

    Kind regards

    robert

    http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

    Robert Klemme, May 19, 2009

  3. Calvin

    Calvin Guest

    On May 18, 11:15 pm, Robert Klemme <> wrote:
    > On 19.05.2009 05:33, Calvin wrote:
    >

    > > When I type this into the terminal it works... but I am wondering if I
    > > am going about things the right way:

    > > $ /opt/local/bin/ruby1.9 -v

    > > $ cd

    > > $ cd Desktop

    > > $ cd programs

    > > $ ruby1.9 calc.rb

    > > then the math equation answer from calc.rb shows up in the terminal.
    > > Am I correct in thinking that ruby 1.9.1 is the ruby that is working
    > > and not ruby 1.8.6?

    > It's likely but program names can be changed arbitrarily.  If you want
    > to be sure you can easily find out by entering
    >
    > ruby1.9 -v
    >
    > Kind regards
    >
    >         robert
    >
    > --
    > remember.guy do |as, often| as.you_can - without endhttp://blog.rubybestpractices.com/- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks Robert!

    When I type in Ruby1.9 -v i get: ruby 1.9.1p129 with some other text.

    Calvin, May 19, 2009
  4. Calvin

    Calvin Guest

    On May 19, 5:39 am, Calvin <> wrote:
    > On May 18, 11:15 pm, Robert Klemme <> wrote:
    >

    > > On 19.05.2009 05:33, Calvin wrote:

    > > > When I type this into the terminal it works... but I am wondering if I
    > > > am going about things the right way:

    > > > $ /opt/local/bin/ruby1.9 -v

    > > > $ cd

    > > > $ cd Desktop

    > > > $ cd programs

    > > > $ ruby1.9 calc.rb

    > > > then the math equation answer from calc.rb shows up in the terminal.
    > > > Am I correct in thinking that ruby 1.9.1 is the ruby that is working
    > > > and not ruby 1.8.6?

    > > It's likely but program names can be changed arbitrarily.  If you want
    > > to be sure you can easily find out by entering

    > > ruby1.9 -v

    > > Kind regards

    > >         robert

    > > --
    > > remember.guy do |as, often| as.you_can - without endhttp://blog.rubybestpractices.com/-Hide quoted text -

    > Thanks Robert!
    >
    > When I type in Ruby1.9 -v   i get: ruby 1.9.1p129 with some other text.- Hide quoted text -

    I am also wondering if I could just type this into my terminal to get
    ruby1.9 to run a ruby file:

    $ cd

    $ cd Desktop

    $ cd programs

    $ ruby1.9 calc.rb

    Is this correct or incorrect?

    Thanks for your time,

    Calvin

    Calvin, May 19, 2009
  5. On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 6:50 PM, Calvin <> wrote:
    > I am also wondering if I could just type this into my terminal to get
    > ruby1.9 to run a ruby file:
    >
    > $ cd
    > $ cd Desktop
    > $ cd programs
    > $ ruby1.9 calc.rb
    >
    > Is this correct or incorrect?

    Yes, that's correct, as long as ruby1.9 is in your path.

    Also you can say cd ~/Desktop/programs rather than three separate cds.
    And don't miss tab completion, if you're using bash.

    martin

    Martin DeMello, May 19, 2009
  6. Calvin

    Calvin Guest

    On May 19, 6:36 am, Martin DeMello <> wrote:
    > On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 6:50 PM, Calvin <> wrote:
    > > I am also wondering if I could just type this into my terminal to get
    > > ruby1.9 to run a ruby file:

    > > $ cd
    > > $ cd Desktop
    > > $ cd programs
    > > $ ruby1.9 calc.rb

    > > Is this correct or incorrect?

    > Yes, that's correct, as long as ruby1.9 is in your path.
    >
    > Also you can say cd ~/Desktop/programs rather than three separate cds.
    > And don't miss tab completion, if you're using bash.
    >
    > martin

    Hi Martin,

    I am using bash... what is "tab completion" and how do I do it?

    Calvin, May 19, 2009
  7. Calvin

    Mk 27 Guest

    Calvin wrote:
    > On May 19, 6:36�am, Martin DeMello <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Yes, that's correct, as long as ruby1.9 is in your path.
    >>
    >> Also you can say cd ~/Desktop/programs rather than three separate cds.
    >> And don't miss tab completion, if you're using bash.
    >>
    >> martin

    > Hi Martin,
    >
    > I am using bash... what is "tab completion" and how do I do it?

    Start typing enough of the directory name, and by pressing tab bash will
    finish it for you -- if what you have is enough to identify it uniquely.

    For example, if you are in /home/me and you want to get to
    scripts/ruby/tests, try "cd scr" don't press return, press tab and scr
    will expand to scripts, then "/ru" and do the same thing, then "/te" tab
    and you'll have
    cd scripts/ruby/tests
    now you can hit return, and all you actually typed was cd
    scr[TAB]/ru[TAB]/te[TAB]

    Hopefully that is clear enough...a lot of CLI (and GUI) apps use tab
    completion (eg, google).

    Mk 27, May 19, 2009
  8. Calvin

    Calvin Guest

    On May 19, 9:16 am, Mk 27 <> wrote:
    > Calvin wrote:
    > > On May 19, 6:36 am, Martin DeMello <> wrote:

    > >> Yes, that's correct, as long as ruby1.9 is in your path.

    > >> Also you can say cd ~/Desktop/programs rather than three separate cds.
    > >> And don't miss tab completion, if you're using bash.

    > >> martin

    > > Hi Martin,

    > > I am using bash... what is "tab completion" and how do I do it?

    > Start typing enough of the directory name, and by pressing tab bash will
    > finish it for you -- if what you have is enough to identify it uniquely.
    >
    > For example, if you are in /home/me and you want to get to
    > scripts/ruby/tests, try "cd scr" don't press return, press tab and scr
    > will expand to scripts, then "/ru" and do the same thing, then "/te" tab
    > and you'll have
    > cd scripts/ruby/tests
    > now you can hit return, and all you actually typed was cd
    > scr[TAB]/ru[TAB]/te[TAB]
    >
    > Hopefully that is clear enough...a lot of CLI (and GUI) apps use tab
    > completion (eg, google).

    That's pretty useful information! Thanks a bunch for your time!

    Calvin, May 19, 2009