Beginner XML Question - Access XML in a hidden Frame?

Paul McFadden

Please bear with me, I am new to xml and want to explore a concept.

Is it possible to write xml to a hidden frameset, to render a table on
another frameset?

The idea is that the xml would be contain the results of a report from a sql
server. The client could then display the report, and sort and filter the
results as needed without round trips to the server. Also, since the xml
would be in a hidden frameset, the page with the table could be changed and
the xml would persist. That way when the report was returned to, i.e. 2
minutes later, we still would not have to get the data from the server
again. The client of course would be able to refresh the data when needed,
or we would expire the data based on a standard time frame.

I have seen some information on Data Islands, but get the feeling that this
is only supported in IE. The application would have to be accessed by
IE5.5, Netscape 6 and FireFox and all versions above the browsers listed.

If this can be achieved, can anyone point me to some samples?

Thanks,

Paul Mc

Tjerk Wolterink

Paul said:
Please bear with me, I am new to xml and want to explore a concept.

[cut]

If this can be achieved, can anyone point me to some samples?

Thanks,

Paul Mc

Frameset? IE5.5, Netscape 6 and FireFox? xml?

Maybe you should read an introduction to xml.

Now xml in webapplications is useally only used at the serverside,
so no need to worry about the clientside.

Stanimir Stamenkov

/Paul McFadden/:
Please bear with me, I am new to xml and want to explore a concept.

Is it possible to write xml to a hidden frameset, to render a table on
another frameset? [...]
I have seen some information on Data Islands, but get the feeling that this
is only supported in IE. The application would have to be accessed by
IE5.5, Netscape 6 and FireFox and all versions above the browsers listed.

I'm not sure what you're up to, but there is a 'XMLHttpRequest' type
of client-side scripting object supported in IE (not sure which
version up) and Mozilla/Gecko (it is not supported in Netscape 6,
but in version 7 IIRC and IINM it is implemented in other major
browsers already too) - there's no need of using HTML frames. You
should consult with scripting groups regarding the different
clients, because the issue is not so much XML related, I think.