Benckmarking Ruby on Rails, Django, Perl

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by matt@e-titans.co.uk, Apr 25, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi I would like to test the performance of Ruby on Rails by creating a
    benchmarking program or two.

    This is for my project at uni. I am also wanting to run the similar
    test on Django and Perl.

    I have seen the Computer Language Shootout website which has a start-up
    benchmark test for perl, ruby and python but nothing for these
    frameworks.

    I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how to create a benchmark
    test which would test how many times an application could be launched
    in Ruby on Rails. Any help would be appreciated.

    Failing that some ideas on how to create a benchmark which shows the
    difference in performance between the different frameworks would be
    great.

    Thanks for any help on the matter, again it would be most appreciated.

    Regards

    Matt
    , Apr 25, 2006

  2. Gene Tani Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi I would like to test the performance of Ruby on Rails by creating a
    > benchmarking program or two.
    >
    > This is for my project at uni. I am also wanting to run the similar
    > test on Django and Perl.
    >
    > I have seen the Computer Language Shootout website which has a start-up
    > benchmark test for perl, ruby and python but nothing for these
    > frameworks.
    >
    > I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how to create a benchmark
    > test which would test how many times an application could be launched
    > in Ruby on Rails. Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Failing that some ideas on how to create a benchmark which shows the
    > difference in performance between the different frameworks would be
    > great.
    >
    > Thanks for any help on the matter, again it would be most appreciated.

    the pet shop is a pretty popular web app to port

    http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/compare/petshop.aspx
    Gene Tani, Apr 25, 2006

  3. stijn Guest

    Quick! hide this thread before mr. Gouy and mr. Ziegler find it!
    *ducks*
    s.
    stijn, Apr 26, 2006

    thanks for that little post matey helped a bit.

    I was just wondering though how it would be possible to test the
    performance of Ruby on Rails, mainly its startup speed and how many
    database transactions it can perform. I guess my quest continues:(
    , Apr 26, 2006

    Why have I done something bad?
    , Apr 26, 2006
  6. ha scritto:
    > Why have I done something bad?

    not really, stijin was just making of fun of a lot of traffic generated
    about benchamrks in the past, you can look it up on google :)
    gabriele renzi, Apr 26, 2006
  7. stijn Guest

    > Why have I done something bad?

    of course not, 't was just a silly remark, don't worry... ahem.
    s.
    stijn, Apr 26, 2006

    Ahh thanks, Any particular search phrase that would help me create a
    benchmark program for ruby on rails? The ones on computer language
    shootout website look too hard to convert to rails. I was just hoping
    for something simple like how many times it can query a database within
    a given timescale say an hour or two.

    Again any help greatly appreciated and thanks for the comments so far,
    the quest continues.

    Matt
    , Apr 27, 2006
  9. ha scritto:
    > Ahh thanks, Any particular search phrase that would help me create a
    > benchmark program for ruby on rails? The ones on computer language
    > shootout website look too hard to convert to rails. I was just hoping
    > for something simple like how many times it can query a database within
    > a given timescale say an hour or two.

    I guess that you could use "ab" from the apache utils to benchmark the
    number of pages/seconds that you're able to obtain from a given
    configuration, once you can replicate the same example pages, i.e.
    serving a pure "view" thing, serving a page that extracts a fixed
    number of results from a database, or whatever.

    A nice site to look may be pyweboff[1] which compares various
    implementations of the same application with different python
    frameworks, but it does not include performance measurements, I believe.

    [1] http://www.third-bit.com/pyweb/index.html
    gabriele renzi, Apr 27, 2006

    Thats excellent thank you so much I will look into that tonight.

    Many Thanks.
    , Apr 27, 2006