Best editor?

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois?= Pinard

[Harry George]
5. When I do Extreme Programming, the other author(s) tend to be using
emacs, vim, or nedit. [...]

Speaking of, when everybody uses Emacs, there is a way for Emacs for
allowing many users, each on a different networked machine, all on the
very same buffer, simultaneously. This sharing has been useful to us in
a number of occasions, and we had scripts for quickly initiating such
collaboration at any time (resolving `xauth' matters, for example).
Note that it requires a lot of confidence between the collaborating
users, as they all have extended powers on the editing session.

ChinStrap

Well I would be more than willing to learn Emacs if it does all these
things you speak of, but really I can't get started because the default
scheme is so friggin ugly it isn't funny.

Anyone want to send me a configuration setup with Python in mind, and
decent colors?

John J. Lee

François Pinard said:
Overall, Vim is also cleaner than Emacs, and this pleases me.
[...]

Is this still true when comparing XEmacs vs. vim? (rather than GNU
Emacs vs. vim) I've always used GNU Emacs, but I have got the
impression that XEmacs is (was?) cleaner in some ways.

John

John J. Lee

ChinStrap said:
When not using the interactive prompt, what are you using? I keep
hearing everyone say Emacs, but I can't understand it at all. I keep
trying to learn and understand why so many seem to like it because I
can't understand customization even without going through a hundred
menus that might contain the thing I am looking for (or I could go
learn another language just to customize!). [...]
Opinions on what the best is? Or reading I could get to maybe sway me
to Emacs (which has the major advantage of being on everyone's system).

Two reasons I use emacs:

1. For any question "Can I do X with emacs", the answer is almost
always "yes, use this code that's already written and working"

2. I already know it ;-)

BTW, I use vi keybindings, and I imagine all other editors can do the
same (though perhaps not as well as viper, the emacs package that does
this -- see 1. above), so that's no reason in itself to use vim.

John

John J. Lee

Ville Vainio said:
Miki> Emacs (or VIm in my case) takes time to learn. However when
Miki> you start to understand it and know you way around it'll do
Miki> things no other editor will do for you.

Other editors also do stuff Emacs won't do. Code completion is a
killer feature and emacs sucks at it (yes, w/ Cedet too).
[...]

I thought that too, but then I bound dabbrev-expand to F4, and it
seems even better than 'proper' completion (for reducing keystrokes,
anyway).

John

Harry George

ChinStrap said:
Well I would be more than willing to learn Emacs if it does all these
things you speak of, but really I can't get started because the default
scheme is so friggin ugly it isn't funny.

Anyone want to send me a configuration setup with Python in mind, and
decent colors?

Set .emacs for:
;;; basic
(set-background-color "white")
(set-foreground-color "black")
(set-border-color "black")
(setq column-number-mode t)
(setq dired-ls-F-marks-symlinks t)

Do that prior to the python settings:
;---python---------------------------
(load "python-mode")
(setq auto-mode-alist
(cons '("\\.py$" . python-mode) auto-mode-alist))
(setq interpreter-mode-alist
(cons '("python" . python-mode)
interpreter-mode-alist))
(autoload 'python-mode "python-mode" "Python editing mode." t)
(add-hook 'python-mode-hook 'turn-on-font-lock)
(setq python-mode-hook 'python-initialise)
(defun python-initialise ()
(interactive)
(setq default-tab-width 4)
(setq indent-tabs-mode nil)
)

Then the default color scheme looks ok (at least to me).
The critical command is:
(add-hook 'python-mode-hook 'turn-on-font-lock)

If you comment that out (with a leading ";"), then font coloring is
turned off and you just have black on white. You can learn the
language and the editor in that mode if necessary.

--
(e-mail address removed)
6-6M21 BCA CompArch Design Engineering
From: "Mike Lowery" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Ignoring known_hosts
Sender: (e-mail address removed) (Boeing NNTP News Access)
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 19:36:09 GMT

Richard E. Silverman said:
[~/.ssh/known_hosts]

foo [foo's key ...] bar [foo's key ...]

[~/.ssh/config]

host foo hostname <foo's name or address> hostkeyalias foo

host bar hostname <bar's name or address> hostkeyalias bar

... and use "ssh {foo|bar}".

Mike> This might work

It will work.

Mike> but again, it requires me manually adding each server to the
Mike> config file which I'm hoping to avoid since there are many.

How? If your machines are not uniquely identified to the client by their
names or addresses, then you must indicate the distinctions yourself by
configuration.

How? Tell SSH to stop checking for this potential "problem." I don't care that
the key doesn't match what it was last time, just give me access! Apparently
that option doesn't exist.

Ville Vainio

jjl> I thought that too, but then I bound dabbrev-expand to F4,
jjl> and it seems even better than 'proper' completion (for
jjl> reducing keystrokes, anyway).

But does not work when you don't know/can't recall what methods are
available for the object you are looking at.

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois?= Pinard

[John J. Lee]
François Pinard said:
Overall, Vim is also cleaner than Emacs, and this pleases me. [...]

Is this still true when comparing XEmacs vs. vim? (rather than
GNU Emacs vs. vim) I've always used GNU Emacs, but I have got the
impression that XEmacs is (was?) cleaner in some ways.

I have much less experience with XEmacs. One friend of mine (Horvje) is
quite involved in XEmacs development, and he convinced me to give it a
serious and honest try. I did, yet never as deeply as I learned Emacs.

My feeling has been that XEmacs, despite cleaner and offering a lot, in
the realm of attractive chrome and original features, is slower overall
and a bit less stable than GNU Emacs (Richard just _hates_ when one
opposes XEmacs to GNU Emacs, and by doing so, involuntarily suggesting
that XEmacs might not be "GNU"! But I'm not in GNU politics nowadays!
:). What most discouraged me is that fact that, at the time of my
tries, neither Allout nor RMAIL were supported, both of which I was
heavily using[1]. And also a few other gooddies as well.

I know from users that Pymacs, which allows for Python usage from within
Emacs, is supported in XEmacs just as well as in GNU Emacs.

Tim Keating

I bought the Komodo personal edition, and at only $30, it is worth it
for the regular expression toolkit alone.

Joey C.

When I'm using Windows, I have found the Syn TextEditor
(http://syn.sourceforge.net) to be quite useful. It has basic syntax
highlighting, about enough for me and is quite compatible with FTP and
such. It supports Python pretty well. Its user interface is quite
easy yet pretty powerful. All in all, this is a very good editor, good
enough that I probably won't go looking for another one any time soon.

On Linux however (which I haven't used in quite some time, sadly), I
usually use vim more than emacs. To tell you the truth, I haven't
really used emacs that much at all, only for a short time. I keep
meaning to actually try it out and get used to it, but I always find
that if I need to edit a file quickly, I just go to vim. Then again, I
don't write much Python code in Linux anyways. Even so, I intend to
try emacs out soon.

Jussi Jumppanen

Joey said:
When I'm using Windows, I have found the Syn TextEditor

The Zeus for Windows programmer's supports Python:

http://www.zeusedit.com/lookmain.html

Some of the programming specific features include:

+ Code folding (supports python)
+ Integrated class browser
+ Project/workspace management
+ Fully configurable syntax highlighting
+ FTP editing
+ Integrated version control (including CVS)
+ Fully scriptable using Python, Lua, JavaScript, VbScript

But Zeus is shareware and cost $35-00 to register. It is free
to test drive the editor as the shareware version runs fully
functional for 60 days.

Jussi Jumppanen
Author of: Zeus for Windows (New version 3.94 out now)

JZ

Dnia 5 Apr 2005 11:22:59 -0700, ChinStrap napisa³(a):
Opinions on what the best is?

Eclipse + plugins: pydev (http://pydev.sourceforge.net/updates/) and
subclipse(http://subclipse.tigris.org/update/). It is free, stable,
contains integrated (visual) debugger, code completion, refactoring, PyLint
for deep analise of python code, and fine work with SVN.

For win32 lighter solution is PythownWin
(http://activestate.com/Products/ActivePython/). It's very stable, fast and
has very good debugger.

Colin J. Williams

Paul said:
SciTE (Scintilla Text Editor) is just right for me too. Low overhead,
great just as a Notepad alternative, but with good coding support too.

-- Paul
Yes, I use SciTE. Syntax marking and multiple buffers. Works with
Windows and Linux.

Boa-constructor (Scintilla based editor), aside from being a GUI
designer, provides all of the above, with a debug capability.

PythonWin (scintilla based editor) is Windows only. It provides the
Edit/Debug functionality of Boa and has an excellent auto-completion
facility - this is particularly helpful when one doesn't remember the
name or parameters of a function of method. It currently has a bug
which slows things down at times but, I understand that this is fixed in
the forthcoming build 204.

Michael George Lerner

Nicolay A. Vasiliev said:
What do you think all about ActiveState Komodo?

Is this specifically to me? I haven't tried it, but I'm tempted.
I've recently begun teaching my wife some Python in order to help
her write a useful GUI app, and that makes it look particularly
tempting. I'm using BoaConstructor for the GUI stuff at the moment.
It has a bit of a learning curve, but it looks nice so far.

-michael

ktenney

Howdy,

I'm sold on out Leo, http://leo.sf.net, pure Python
amazingly easy to learn and powerful.

Based on outlining, it provides a powerful and
flexible way to manage content. Lots of built in
Python code awareness.

Extensible with plugins, a very active community
is making "I wish my editor could ..." come true
every day.

A peek at the SF forum gives an idea of how
active the development pace is
http://sourceforge.net/forum/?group_id=3458

It's different than other editors, I'd suggest trying it.

Thanks,
Kent

Mike Meyer

Use vim. 80% of the power of emacs at 20% of the learning curve.

Hmm. Can I read mail/news/web pages in vim? I can in emacs.

Emacs is a computing environment. I read mail and news in it, so I
don't have to worry about learning some applications custom editor
(ok, a good MUA/newsreader will invoke my favorite editor - but that's
Emacs, so why bother). I use emacs for the heavy lifting.

vi is adequate, and I use it for editing things as root. Every once
and a while I'll start an emacs as root, but I do try to avoid that.

For quick edits (as either root or me) I use ex. I can't get past ed
not having a prompt.

<mike

Aahz

Hmm. Can I read mail/news/web pages in vim? I can in emacs.

Yup, that's why emacs stands for Eighty Megabytes And Constantly
Swapping. ;-)
Emacs is a computing environment. I read mail and news in it, so I
don't have to worry about learning some applications custom editor
(ok, a good MUA/newsreader will invoke my favorite editor - but that's
Emacs, so why bother). I use emacs for the heavy lifting.

Doesn't work so well when you want to use an application that isn't
emacs, yet still invoke a custom editor. But yeah, if you consider emacs
a Way of Life, then you're making sense.
--
Aahz ([email protected]) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"The joy of coding Python should be in seeing short, concise, readable
classes that express a lot of action in a small amount of clear code --
not in reams of trivial code that bores the reader to death." --GvR

LittleJohn

Mike said:
For quick edits (as either root or me) I use ex. I can't get past ed
not having a prompt.

For a Linux gui editor, try NEdit. It's almost identical to the old PFE
editor for Windoze and it 'knows' Python.

LittleJohn
Madison, AL

Mike Meyer

Yup, that's why emacs stands for Eighty Megabytes And Constantly
Swapping. ;-)

Gee, it's changed from eight to eighty. Probably because eight is a
small app by todays standards. Then again, it's not like 80 is large
these days.

Of course, you don't have to load any of the code for doing those
things if you don't want to use it.
Doesn't work so well when you want to use an application that isn't
emacs, yet still invoke a custom editor. But yeah, if you consider emacs
a Way of Life, then you're making sense.

You tell those applications to use emacsclient as the editor, and add
(gnuserv-start) to your emacs init file. This is especially usefull
when running applications that want to start an editor in a shell
window in emacs.

<mike