best performances for the java 6 JRE: linux or solaris?

Discussion in 'Java' started by dao.hodac@gmail.com, Apr 24, 2007.

  1. Guest

    hello,

    I have to deploy a java/CORBA server on a new host. I have to choose
    between 2 configurations:

    Conf#1
    SUN, V240 2x(ultraSparc3@1,5GHz), 64Bits, RISK
    Solaris 9

    Conf#2
    PC 2x(Opteron dualcore)@2.8GHz 64bits, SISK
    Linux RedHat 4

    which is the best for my java application, in terms of performances
    and reliability? Is there some deployment tips about RAM, hard
    drive... things to avoid... I must take into account ?

    Java application:
    no GUI
    highly threaded
    java 6 (I hope, 5 else...)
    no developpement on this host

    thanks.
    , Apr 24, 2007

  2. Lew Guest

    wrote:
    > hello,
    >
    > I have to deploy a java/CORBA server on a new host. I have to choose
    > between 2 configurations:
    >
    > Conf#1
    > SUN, V240 2x(ultraSparc3@1,5GHz), 64Bits, RISK
    > Solaris 9
    >
    > Conf#2
    > PC 2x(Opteron dualcore)@2.8GHz 64bits, SISK
    > Linux RedHat 4
    >

    > which is the best for my java application, in terms of performances
    > and reliability? Is there some deployment tips about RAM, hard
    > drive... things to avoid... I must take into account ?
    >
    > Java application:
    > no GUI
    > highly threaded
    > java 6 (I hope, 5 else...)
    > no developpement on this host

    I doubt there is a way to generalize /a priori/. Run sample apps that have
    similar performance characteristics to your intended application(s), and
    measure the results.

    How important is performance, and how much difference must there be to matter?

    Have you considered O.S. alternatives that may speed up performance, e.g., QNX?

    One tip is to provide maximum RAM and very effing fast hard drives.

    OTOH, aren't reliability and up-time ultimately more important than raw speed?
    How durable are these machines? How likely for a RAM chip to fail? How
    expensive is support for each platform?

    If raw speed is so important, why limit yourself to those two platforms?

    Are you using RAID drive configurations?

    By the way, the acronyms are "RISC" and "CISC", not "RISK" and "SISK". They
    are acronyms, so the spelling matters. GIYF.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Apr 24, 2007

  3. dao Guest

    On 24 avr, 14:04, Lew <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > hello,

    > > I have to deploy a java/CORBA server on a new host. I have to choose
    > > between 2 configurations:

    > > Conf#1
    > > SUN, V240 2x(ultraSparc3@1,5GHz), 64Bits, RISK
    > > Solaris 9

    > > Conf#2
    > > PC 2x(Opteron dualcore)@2.8GHz 64bits, SISK
    > > Linux RedHat 4

    > > which is the best for my java application, in terms of performances
    > > and reliability? Is there some deployment tips about RAM, hard
    > > drive... things to avoid... I must take into account ?

    > > Java application:
    > > no GUI
    > > highly threaded
    > > java 6 (I hope, 5 else...)
    > > no developpement on this host

    > I doubt there is a way to generalize /a priori/. Run sample apps that have
    > similar performance characteristics to your intended application(s), and
    > measure the results.
    >
    > How important is performance, and how much difference must there be to matter?
    >
    > Have you considered O.S. alternatives that may speed up performance, e.g., QNX?
    >
    > One tip is to provide maximum RAM and very effing fast hard drives.
    >
    > OTOH, aren't reliability and up-time ultimately more important than raw speed?
    > How durable are these machines? How likely for a RAM chip to fail? How
    > expensive is support for each platform?
    >
    > If raw speed is so important, why limit yourself to those two platforms?
    >
    > Are you using RAID drive configurations?
    >
    > By the way, the acronyms are "RISC" and "CISC", not "RISK" and "SISK". They
    > are acronyms, so the spelling matters. GIYF.
    >
    > --
    > Lew

    I am a software manager, my server has ran on a V240/solaris 5.9 for 2
    years. Today, IT proposed me either to buy a clone machine or go to a
    opteron/linux environment. I have to choose. The application uses the
    CPU mainly for XML processing, and it is the bottleneck of it.

    I don't know a lot about devices, butI have seen that the opteron is
    almost 2 times faster, it is 4 processors (2 dual core), so I suppose
    it is much faster (4 times?) than the V240.
    Further more, the IT insists for the opteron because it is much
    cheaper (2 times!).

    I just want to check that is is a good environment (no surprise,
    please!!!)

    thanks for your answer (s).
    dao, Apr 25, 2007
  4. dao Guest

    On 24 avr, 14:04, Lew <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > hello,

    > > I have to deploy a java/CORBA server on a new host. I have to choose
    > > between 2 configurations:

    > > Conf#1
    > > SUN, V240 2x(ultraSparc3@1,5GHz), 64Bits, RISK
    > > Solaris 9

    > > Conf#2
    > > PC 2x(Opteron dualcore)@2.8GHz 64bits, SISK
    > > Linux RedHat 4

    > > which is the best for my java application, in terms of performances
    > > and reliability? Is there some deployment tips about RAM, hard
    > > drive... things to avoid... I must take into account ?

    > > Java application:
    > > no GUI
    > > highly threaded
    > > java 6 (I hope, 5 else...)
    > > no developpement on this host

    > I doubt there is a way to generalize /a priori/. Run sample apps that have
    > similar performance characteristics to your intended application(s), and
    > measure the results.
    >
    > How important is performance, and how much difference must there be to matter?
    >
    > Have you considered O.S. alternatives that may speed up performance, e.g., QNX?
    >
    > One tip is to provide maximum RAM and very effing fast hard drives.
    >
    > OTOH, aren't reliability and up-time ultimately more important than raw speed?
    > How durable are these machines? How likely for a RAM chip to fail? How
    > expensive is support for each platform?
    >
    > If raw speed is so important, why limit yourself to those two platforms?
    >
    > Are you using RAID drive configurations?
    >
    > By the way, the acronyms are "RISC" and "CISC", not "RISK" and "SISK". They
    > are acronyms, so the spelling matters. GIYF.
    >
    > --
    > Lew

    hi,

    Sorry for the approximations about the description of the devices, but
    i am not the IT.
    Today, my application runs well on a SOLARIS 5.9 V240, and the IT
    proposed me to either buy a new V240 or to get a linux/opteron.

    I need to use the CPU for XML processing, that is the bottleneck of my
    application (I have seen the linux solution is 2.8GHz, 2x2 procs...
    therefore I though it was really faster).

    Before sending my answer, I want to know this group point of view

    PROS:
    faster => I need CPU to highly process XML
    cheaper => IT said it is 2 times cheaper

    CONS:
    migration
    dao, Apr 25, 2007
  5. Lew Guest

    dao wrote:
    > Today, my application runs well on a SOLARIS 5.9 V240, and the IT
    > proposed me to either buy a new V240 or to get a linux/opteron.
    >
    > I need to use the CPU for XML processing, that is the bottleneck of my
    > application (I have seen the linux solution is 2.8GHz, 2x2 procs...
    > therefore I though it was really faster).
    >
    > Before sending my answer, I want to know this group point of view
    >
    > PROS:
    > faster => I need CPU to highly process XML
    > cheaper => IT said it is 2 times cheaper
    >
    > CONS:
    > migration

    Migration of Java code should be painless.

    > The application uses the
    > CPU mainly for XML processing, and it is the bottleneck of it.

    The application uses a lot more than the CPU. The CPU is likely not the
    bottleneck at all.

    XML processing is subject to inefficiency in the software. Depending on what
    software you use, who wrote it and how they wrote it, you can have dramatic
    difference in speed, several orders of magnitude, on the same machine.

    I asked how much speed difference is important to you. No answer. I asked
    how important reliability and uptime are. No answer. I asked if you
    considered O.S. alternatives. No answer. Same with all the questions I
    asked. These and other questions are very relevant, and speed may be the
    least of your concerns.

    Even if speed is a concern, it likely will make the least difference which
    computer runs the application. You could get thousands of times faster speed
    by rewriting an inefficient algorithm, at best some fractional improvement by
    picking a different CPU.

    You tell your I.T. department that initial cost ia only a fraction of Total
    Cost of Ownership (TCO), and to start thinking with their big brains.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Apr 25, 2007
  6. dao wrote:
    >>> I have to deploy a java/CORBA server on a new host. I have to choose
    >>> between 2 configurations:
    >>> Conf#1
    >>> SUN, V240 2x(ultraSparc3@1,5GHz), 64Bits, RISK
    >>> Solaris 9
    >>> Conf#2
    >>> PC 2x(Opteron dualcore)@2.8GHz 64bits, SISK
    >>> Linux RedHat 4
    >>> which is the best for my java application, in terms of performances
    >>> and reliability? Is there some deployment tips about RAM, hard
    >>> drive... things to avoid... I must take into account ?

    > Sorry for the approximations about the description of the devices, but
    > i am not the IT.
    > Today, my application runs well on a SOLARIS 5.9 V240, and the IT
    > proposed me to either buy a new V240 or to get a linux/opteron.
    >
    > I need to use the CPU for XML processing, that is the bottleneck of my
    > application (I have seen the linux solution is 2.8GHz, 2x2 procs...
    > therefore I though it was really faster).
    >
    > Before sending my answer, I want to know this group point of view
    >
    > PROS:
    > faster => I need CPU to highly process XML
    > cheaper => IT said it is 2 times cheaper
    >
    > CONS:
    > migration

    http://www.spec.org/cpu2000/results/cpu2000.html

    Sun Fire V240 (1503MHz)
    SPECint_rate2000 18.4

    You do not identify the Opteron, but if it is a 290, then:

    Fujitsu Siemens Computers PRIMERGY BX630, AMD Opteron (TM) 290
    SPECfp_rate2000 79.7

    Migration will cost nothing because you are using Java.

    RHEL is an excellent server OS.

    Four times the CPU power for half the price.

    I would not be in doubt !

    Arne
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Apr 28, 2007
  7. Lew wrote:
    > dao wrote:
    >> The application uses the
    >> CPU mainly for XML processing, and it is the bottleneck of it.

    > The application uses a lot more than the CPU. The CPU is likely not the
    > bottleneck at all.

    It is very common for XML processing apps to be CPU bound.

    > XML processing is subject to inefficiency in the software. Depending on
    > what software you use, who wrote it and how they wrote it, you can have
    > dramatic difference in speed, several orders of magnitude, on the same
    > machine.

    Very few people write their own XML libraries in Java.

    Arne
    =?UTF-8?B?QXJuZSBWYWpow7hq?=, Apr 28, 2007