Best Practice for referencing datasets with web service

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Tal McMahon, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. Tal McMahon

    Tal McMahon Guest

    Hello All,
    I have an application that uses several layers as such:

    a Client that references a ClientHelper
    a ClientHelper references a WebService
    a WebService that references a Webservice Helper
    a Webservice Helper that Connects to the SQL server

    I have been trying to keep my typed datasets on the
    Webservice helper then passing the datasets as they are
    filled all the way back to my client.

    My question is this. I have noticed that I can declare a
    dataset on my client in such a way:

    dim MyDataSet as new clientHelper.webservice.TargetDataSet

    Now, for the questions.

    If i declare the dataset in this way, is it coming from
    the webservice? or is there a TargetDataset.xsd going
    somewhere that I cannot see?

    Again, My goal is to try and keep the client package
    small and not redefine any of the datasets locally so
    that I can make changes from the top if nescesarry.

    If this is not a good Scenario please suggest a better
    one.

    thanks for your time and help

    tal McMahon
    Tal McMahon, Aug 6, 2003