Best Practices Question...

Derek Martin

Hi list, I have been doing VB.Net for quite a while now and just now getting
into the forray of ASP.Net using VS2003. I have created our development
website and now we are ready to start putting it into production.

I've messed around with a few different deployment scenarios but the one we
ended up with was two copies of the code, one on dev and one on prod and all
changes we make to code on dev have to be copied to the prod and then
recompiled - this seems dumb to me, and perhaps it is. To make matters
slightly more complex, the API behind the ASP.Net app (dll) is using delay
signing on our strong name key, which means, any time I build to go into
production, I have to re-final sign.

So, I was wondering if anyone could offer some suggestions on best practices
to make this process a little easier - I haven't tried it, but it'd be great
if I could do the release build on dev, final sign and then simply copy the
files over to production using a shared network drive as an intermediary.

Thanks all!
Derek

Kevin Spencer

Why would you have to recompile? Just copy the DLLs and related changes over
to the production server.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Neither a follower nor a lender be.

Derek Martin

Hey Kevin, that's a very good question, one I have been asking myself
frequently these past few weeks. I suppose that I wouldn't and that would
actually save quite a bit of hassle because the code behind was chaning
(long story) in the move.

I will attempt the copy - that's be so freaking sweet if that worked!

Also, another question, if the DLL file that I have as an API is delay
signed, will the website code behind DLL file also need to be delay signed
and then final signed?

Thanks
Derek

Kevin Spencer

Hi Derek,

X_Copy Deployment - one of the pillaras of .Net!
Also, another question, if the DLL file that I have as an API is delay
signed, will the website code behind DLL file also need to be delay signed
and then final signed?

That I don't know. I've never had to sign a DLL.