Best Practices (Server controls)

Guest

We are starting to standardize what we have been doing with our web
applications and I have a “cost-benefit†question when it comes to some
server controls.

Main two examples is
Plain text vs. <asp:label /> and <div> vs <asp:panels> for current static
information.

In my view if we go ahead and make all things static into server controls
anyway then we have the advantage of things like localization, skins and
generally being able to program to them should the spec’s change.
This in general (plus general consistency) seems to outweigh the performance
concerns. Not to mention a server side control could just have viewstate off
and I am willing to bet it will be exactly like any literal control once it
gets to the client.

Karl Seguin [MVP]

I call premature optimization.

Do your sites have performance concerns?
Have you profiled them and discovered server controls to be a leader cause?

If it _was_ a performance issue, you wouldn't be asking the question....

Karl

Guest

No performance issues really and that is not even taking into consideration
proper deployment.

Turns out my lead has agreed for us to go all out on server controls for the
very reasons same reasons (extensiblity and standardization)

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Don't feel bad.
A lot of guys go through a phase of premature optimization.
It's usually mostly a mental thing.
I suggest consulting a counselor or doctor as needed.
;-)

"Karl Seguin [MVP]" <karl REMOVE @ REMOVE openmymind REMOVEMETOO . ANDME