Best program to practice with JavaScript

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Tim Streater, Oct 29, 2007.

  1. Tim Streater

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <>,
    John <> wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm brand new to Javascript and would like to know what is the best
    > program that I can use to learn JavaScript. I would like something
    > with syntax highlighting if possible.

    I use TextWrangler for editing JS - it has syntax colouring for many
    languages including JS.

    Tim Streater, Oct 29, 2007

  2. Tim Streater

    John Guest

    Hello,

    I'm brand new to Javascript and would like to know what is the best
    program that I can use to learn JavaScript. I would like something
    with syntax highlighting if possible.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    John, Oct 29, 2007

  3. Tim Streater

    Hal Rosser Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm brand new to Javascript and would like to know what is the best
    > program that I can use to learn JavaScript. I would like something
    > with syntax highlighting if possible.
    >

    > Any help would be appreciated.

    Here's a promising javascript IDE - I have not used it YET
    http://www.aptana.com/download_all.php#windows

    I will try it out - myself

    Hal Rosser, Oct 29, 2007
  4. Tim Streater

    Hal Rosser Guest

    > Here's a promising javascript IDE - I have not used it YET
    > http://www.aptana.com/download_all.php#windows
    >
    > I will try it out - myself

    Tried it
    Like it
    it has 'intellisense' and also points out errors on the page
    - something new for a free javascript editor.

    Hal Rosser, Oct 29, 2007
  5. On Oct 29, 10:06 am, John <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm brand new to Javascript and would like to know what is the best
    > program that I can use to learn JavaScript. I would like something
    > with syntax highlighting if possible.

    I use textmate on OS X. It's a pretty good one with syntax
    highlighting, code completion (snippets), and a nice project-wide
    search

    http://macromates.com/

    I wish I was a VIM whiz but, based on all my investigations, it
    doesn't integrate so smoothly on OS X.

    http://vim.org

    and there is always emacs

    http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/

    Peter

    Peter Michaux, Oct 29, 2007
  6. Tim Streater

    John Guest

    >I use TextWrangler for editing JS - it has syntax colouring for many
    >languages including JS.

    Thanks but I need something for Windows.

    John, Oct 29, 2007
  7. Tim Streater

    beegee Guest

    On Oct 29, 6:25 pm, John <> wrote:
    > >I use TextWrangler for editing JS - it has syntax colouring for many
    > >languages including JS.

    > Thanks but I need something for Windows.

    I use Komodo. The IDE costs $, the editor is free. The editor has
    syntax highlighting for many different languages. I hated Aptana
    because besides taking hours to load, it was not able to handle
    javascript embedded in an .asp file which, unfortuantely, I deal with
    daily.

    Bob

    beegee, Oct 30, 2007