Best way to keep track of user-related info? [Opinions wanted]

Edward J. Stembler

I have an ASP.Net portal application which requires a user to login.
The user has a CompanyId associated with their profile in the
database. Once they successfully login, I want to store the CompanyId
for that user somewhere for later reference.

What is the best way to do this? Should, I store the CompanyId in an
encrypted cookie? In the Context object? Somewhere else?

Here are some assumptions: Each user has a CompanyId assigned to their
profile. Multiple users can log into the site. The site will need to
know the CompanyId eventually on various pages (or usercontrols) for a
given user. The site must keep CompanyId's seperate per user.