best way to provide website wide navigation bar?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by 123Jim, Mar 2, 2010.

  1. 123Jim

    123Jim Guest

    Hi all,
    My navigation links are to appear in a column on every page of my website.

    At the moment
    I have an external css for styling links in a bulleted list, as found all
    over the web.

    ... but I have the same links on every page, which will need to be added to
    as more web pages are created or removed.

    so .. how can I have one list that appears on every page so that I do not
    need to edit every page on my website when a link is added or removed?

    I don't want to add an HTML page inside my web pages unless I can get rid of
    the ugly scroll bars that appear in the browser.

    thanks for any advice

    Jim

    123Jim, Mar 2, 2010

  2. 123Jim

    Doug Miller Guest

    In article <hmj7l6$a8p$-september.org>, "123Jim" <> wrote:
    >Hi all,
    >My navigation links are to appear in a column on every page of my website.
    >
    >At the moment
    >I have an external css for styling links in a bulleted list, as found all
    >over the web.
    >
    >... but I have the same links on every page, which will need to be added to
    >as more web pages are created or removed.
    >
    >so .. how can I have one list that appears on every page so that I do not
    >need to edit every page on my website when a link is added or removed?
    >
    >I don't want to add an HTML page inside my web pages unless I can get rid of
    >the ugly scroll bars that appear in the browser.
    >
    >thanks for any advice

    Google "server side includes".

    Doug Miller, Mar 2, 2010

  3. 123Jim

    SAZ Guest

    In article <hmj7l6$a8p$-september.org>,
    lid says...

    > Hi all,
    > My navigation links are to appear in a column on every page of my website.
    >
    > At the moment
    > I have an external css for styling links in a bulleted list, as found all
    > over the web.
    >
    > .. but I have the same links on every page, which will need to be added to
    > as more web pages are created or removed.
    >
    > so .. how can I have one list that appears on every page so that I do not
    > need to edit every page on my website when a link is added or removed?
    >
    > I don't want to add an HTML page inside my web pages unless I can get rid of
    > the ugly scroll bars that appear in the browser.
    >
    > thanks for any advice
    >
    > Jim

    Use PHP, ASP, SHTML, or any other Server side include (SSI) that is
    supported by your web host.

    You can also use Javascript, but that would be the worst choice.

    This is relatively easy. Search Google for several descriptions on how
    to do this.

    SAZ, Mar 2, 2010
  4. 123Jim

    123Jim Guest

    "SAZ" <saz1958@!nospammersexcite.com> wrote in message
    > In article <hmj7l6$a8p$-september.org>,
    > lid says...
    >>
    >> Hi all,
    >> My navigation links are to appear in a column on every page of my
    >> website.
    >>
    >> At the moment
    >> I have an external css for styling links in a bulleted list, as found all
    >> over the web.
    >>
    >> .. but I have the same links on every page, which will need to be added
    >> as more web pages are created or removed.
    >>
    >> so .. how can I have one list that appears on every page so that I do not
    >> need to edit every page on my website when a link is added or removed?
    >>
    >> I don't want to add an HTML page inside my web pages unless I can get rid
    >> of
    >> the ugly scroll bars that appear in the browser.
    >>
    >> thanks for any advice
    >>
    >> Jim

    > Use PHP, ASP, SHTML, or any other Server side include (SSI) that is
    > supported by your web host.
    >
    > You can also use Javascript, but that would be the worst choice.
    >
    > This is relatively easy. Search Google for several descriptions on how
    > to do this.

    ah .. the trouble is my hosting is free from my ISP (UK Tiscali, Talk talk)
    and does not provide any server side stuff.

    123Jim, Mar 2, 2010
  5. 123Jim

    David Segall Guest

    "123Jim" <> wrote:

    >"SAZ" <saz1958@!nospammersexcite.com> wrote in message
    >> In article <hmj7l6$a8p$-september.org>,
    >> lid says...
    >>>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>> My navigation links are to appear in a column on every page of my
    >>> website.
    >>>
    >>> At the moment
    >>> I have an external css for styling links in a bulleted list, as found all
    >>> over the web.
    >>>
    >>> .. but I have the same links on every page, which will need to be added
    >>> as more web pages are created or removed.
    >>>
    >>> so .. how can I have one list that appears on every page so that I do not
    >>> need to edit every page on my website when a link is added or removed?
    >>>
    >>> I don't want to add an HTML page inside my web pages unless I can get rid
    >>> of
    >>> the ugly scroll bars that appear in the browser.
    >>>
    >>> thanks for any advice
    >>>
    >>> Jim

    >> Use PHP, ASP, SHTML, or any other Server side include (SSI) that is
    >> supported by your web host.
    >>
    >> You can also use Javascript, but that would be the worst choice.
    >>
    >> This is relatively easy. Search Google for several descriptions on how
    >> to do this.

    >ah .. the trouble is my hosting is free from my ISP (UK Tiscali, Talk talk)
    >and does not provide any server side stuff.

    In that case you might like to investigate a pre-processor that does
    the "includes" before you upload the web pages. Roedy Green describes
    the technique and some tools at
    <http://mindprod.com/jgloss/htmlstaticmacros.html>.

    David Segall, Mar 2, 2010
  6. 123Jim

    C A Upsdell Guest

    On 2010-03-02 9:57, 123Jim wrote:
    > "SAZ"<saz1958@!nospammersexcite.com> wrote in message
    >> In article<hmj7l6$a8p$-september.org>,
    >> lid says...
    >>>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>> My navigation links are to appear in a column on every page of my
    >>> website.
    >>>
    >>> At the moment
    >>> I have an external css for styling links in a bulleted list, as found all
    >>> over the web.
    >>>
    >>> .. but I have the same links on every page, which will need to be added
    >>> as more web pages are created or removed.
    >>>
    >>> so .. how can I have one list that appears on every page so that I do not
    >>> need to edit every page on my website when a link is added or removed?
    >>>
    >>> I don't want to add an HTML page inside my web pages unless I can get rid
    >>> of
    >>> the ugly scroll bars that appear in the browser.
    >>>
    >>> thanks for any advice
    >>>
    >>> Jim

    >> Use PHP, ASP, SHTML, or any other Server side include (SSI) that is
    >> supported by your web host.
    >>
    >> You can also use Javascript, but that would be the worst choice.
    >>
    >> This is relatively easy. Search Google for several descriptions on how
    >> to do this.

    > ah .. the trouble is my hosting is free from my ISP (UK Tiscali, Talk talk)
    > and does not provide any server side stuff.

    Your editor should have global search and replace: use it. (If it
    doesn't, get a better editor.)

    C A Upsdell, Mar 2, 2010
  7. 123Jim

    123Jim Guest

    "David Segall" <> wrote in message
    > "123Jim" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"SAZ" <saz1958@!nospammersexcite.com> wrote in message
    >>> In article <hmj7l6$a8p$-september.org>,
    >>> lid says...

    >>> Use PHP, ASP, SHTML, or any other Server side include (SSI) that is
    >>> supported by your web host.
    >>>
    >>> You can also use Javascript, but that would be the worst choice.
    >>>
    >>> This is relatively easy. Search Google for several descriptions on how
    >>> to do this.

    >>ah .. the trouble is my hosting is free from my ISP (UK Tiscali, Talk
    >>talk)
    >>and does not provide any server side stuff.

    > In that case you might like to investigate a pre-processor that does
    > the "includes" before you upload the web pages. Roedy Green describes
    > the technique and some tools at
    > <http://mindprod.com/jgloss/htmlstaticmacros.html>.

    Clever stuff, Thanks.

    123Jim, Mar 2, 2010
  8. 123Jim

    SAZ Guest

    In article <hmj907$f9p$-september.org>,
    lid says...

    > "SAZ" <saz1958@!nospammersexcite.com> wrote in message
    > > In article <hmj7l6$a8p$-september.org>,
    > > lid says...
    > >>
    > >> Hi all,
    > >> My navigation links are to appear in a column on every page of my
    > >> website.
    > >>
    > >> At the moment
    > >> I have an external css for styling links in a bulleted list, as found all
    > >> over the web.
    > >>
    > >> .. but I have the same links on every page, which will need to be added
    > >> as more web pages are created or removed.
    > >>
    > >> so .. how can I have one list that appears on every page so that I do not
    > >> need to edit every page on my website when a link is added or removed?
    > >>
    > >> I don't want to add an HTML page inside my web pages unless I can get rid
    > >> of
    > >> the ugly scroll bars that appear in the browser.
    > >>
    > >> thanks for any advice
    > >>
    > >> Jim

    > > Use PHP, ASP, SHTML, or any other Server side include (SSI) that is
    > > supported by your web host.
    > >
    > > You can also use Javascript, but that would be the worst choice.
    > >
    > > This is relatively easy. Search Google for several descriptions on how
    > > to do this.

    > ah .. the trouble is my hosting is free from my ISP (UK Tiscali, Talk talk)
    > and does not provide any server side stuff.

    Is this a business website? If so, invest in a true web host and spend
    $10 or so a month.

    If this is a personal site, I'm not sure about the UK, but you can get
    hosting as cheap as $4 - $5/month in the US. PHP is included just about
    everywhere.

    SAZ, Mar 2, 2010
  9. 123Jim

    123Jim Guest

    "C A Upsdell" <> wrote in message
    > On 2010-03-02 9:57, 123Jim wrote:
    >> "SAZ"<saz1958@!nospammersexcite.com> wrote in message
    >>> In article<hmj7l6$a8p$-september.org>,
    >>> lid says...

    >>> Use PHP, ASP, SHTML, or any other Server side include (SSI) that is
    >>> supported by your web host.
    >>>
    >>> You can also use Javascript, but that would be the worst choice.
    >>>
    >>> This is relatively easy. Search Google for several descriptions on how
    >>> to do this.

    >> ah .. the trouble is my hosting is free from my ISP (UK Tiscali, Talk
    >> talk)
    >> and does not provide any server side stuff.

    > Your editor should have global search and replace: use it. (If it
    > doesn't, get a better editor.)

    My web dev environment has no such function (Kompozer), but Notepad++ does
    the job very well.
    Thanks to all those who replied. I am up to speed now.

    123Jim, Mar 2, 2010
  10. 123Jim

    > In article <hmj907$f9p$-september.org>,
    > lid says...
    >>
    >> "SAZ" <saz1958@!nospammersexcite.com> wrote in message
    >> > In article <hmj7l6$a8p$-september.org>,
    >> > lid says...

    >> > Use PHP, ASP, SHTML, or any other Server side include (SSI) that is
    >> > supported by your web host.
    >> >
    >> > You can also use Javascript, but that would be the worst choice.
    >> >
    >> > This is relatively easy. Search Google for several descriptions on how
    >> > to do this.

    >> ah .. the trouble is my hosting is free from my ISP (UK Tiscali, Talk
    >> talk)
    >> and does not provide any server side stuff.

    > Is this a business website? If so, invest in a true web host and spend
    > $10 or so a month.
    >
    > If this is a personal site, I'm not sure about the UK, but you can get
    > hosting as cheap as $4 - $5/month in the US. PHP is included just about
    > everywhere.

    Thanks for the info .

    123Jim, Mar 2, 2010
  11. 123Jim wrote:
    > "C A Upsdell"<> wrote:

    >> Your editor should have global search and replace: use it. (If it
    >> doesn't, get a better editor.)

    > My web dev environment has no such function (Kompozer), but Notepad++ does
    > the job very well.

    Hmmm, when did they remove it? "Edit > Find and Replace..." Ctrl+F

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 2, 2010
  12. 123Jim

    123Jim Guest

    > 123Jim wrote:
    >> "C A Upsdell"<> wrote:

    >>> Your editor should have global search and replace: use it. (If it
    >>> doesn't, get a better editor.)

    >> My web dev environment has no such function (Kompozer), but Notepad++
    >> does
    >> the job very well.

    > Hmmm, when did they remove it? "Edit > Find and Replace..." Ctrl+F
    >
    > --
    > Take care,
    >
    > Jonathan
    > -------------------
    > LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    > http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Kompozer does: find and replace in multiple files in a click? I don't think
    so.
    ??

    123Jim, Mar 2, 2010
  13. 123Jim

    Dave Guest

    123Jim wrote:
    > "SAZ" <saz1958@!nospammersexcite.com> wrote in message
    >> In article <hmj7l6$a8p$-september.org>,
    >> lid says...
    >>> so .. how can I have one list that appears on every page so that I do not
    >>> need to edit every page on my website when a link is added or removed?
    >>>
    >>> Jim

    >> Use PHP, ASP, SHTML, or any other Server side include (SSI) that is
    >> supported by your web host.

    > ah .. the trouble is my hosting is free from my ISP (UK Tiscali, Talk talk)
    > and does not provide any server side stuff.

    Every pure static html site I develop these days is actually written in
    PHP, sometimes entirely PHP, sometimes a mix of HTML and PHP.

    I use a client side copy of PHP.EXE to build my static HTML files and
    upload these to the server. With a batch file you can literally set it
    up so that a single double-click of the .BAT will rebuild the entire
    site and upload it. You could even use MAKE to just rebuild and upload
    the changed files.

    Having the site in PHP means you can implement your nav menu or any
    other content that appears repeatedly throughout the site as a call to a
    PHP function. In fact, decoupling the structure of the site's source
    from the structure of the resultant HTML is rather like the difference
    between programming in the old non-structured BASIC versus something
    like C++; I would never go back to the former now. Plus, it's a great
    way to learn PHP - you have a nice big rich PHP sandpit to play in and
    no need to worry about security because it only runs locally on your PC.

    Dave, Mar 3, 2010
  14. 123Jim

    123Jim Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > 123Jim wrote:
    >> "SAZ" <saz1958@!nospammersexcite.com> wrote in message
    >>> In article <hmj7l6$a8p$-september.org>,
    >>> lid says...

    >>> Use PHP, ASP, SHTML, or any other Server side include (SSI) that is
    >>> supported by your web host.

    >> ah .. the trouble is my hosting is free from my ISP (UK Tiscali, Talk
    >> talk) and does not provide any server side stuff.

    > Every pure static html site I develop these days is actually written in
    > PHP, sometimes entirely PHP, sometimes a mix of HTML and PHP.
    >
    > I use a client side copy of PHP.EXE to build my static HTML files and
    > upload these to the server. With a batch file you can literally set it up
    > so that a single double-click of the .BAT will rebuild the entire site and
    > upload it. You could even use MAKE to just rebuild and upload the changed
    > files.
    >
    > Having the site in PHP means you can implement your nav menu or any other
    > content that appears repeatedly throughout the site as a call to a PHP
    > function. In fact, decoupling the structure of the site's source from the
    > structure of the resultant HTML is rather like the difference between
    > programming in the old non-structured BASIC versus something like C++; I
    > would never go back to the former now. Plus, it's a great way to learn
    > PHP - you have a nice big rich PHP sandpit to play in and no need to worry
    > about security because it only runs locally on your PC.

    I am under the impression that PHP is "Server-side HTML embedded scripting
    language"
    How can you be sure your visitors will have a local version of PHP.exe ?

    123Jim, Mar 3, 2010
  15. 123Jim

    Dave Guest

    123Jim wrote:
    > "Dave" <> wrote in message
    >> 123Jim wrote:
    >>> "SAZ" <saz1958@!nospammersexcite.com> wrote in message

    >>> ah .. the trouble is my hosting is free from my ISP (UK Tiscali, Talk
    >>> talk) and does not provide any server side stuff.

    >> Every pure static html site I develop these days is actually written in
    >> PHP, sometimes entirely PHP, sometimes a mix of HTML and PHP.
    >>
    >> I use a client side copy of PHP.EXE to build my static HTML files and
    >> upload these to the server. With a batch file you can literally set it up
    >> so that a single double-click of the .BAT will rebuild the entire site and
    >> upload it. You could even use MAKE to just rebuild and upload the changed
    >> files.
    >>
    >> Having the site in PHP means you can implement your nav menu or any other
    >> content that appears repeatedly throughout the site as a call to a PHP
    >> function. In fact, decoupling the structure of the site's source from the
    >> structure of the resultant HTML is rather like the difference between
    >> programming in the old non-structured BASIC versus something like C++; I
    >> would never go back to the former now. Plus, it's a great way to learn
    >> PHP - you have a nice big rich PHP sandpit to play in and no need to worry
    >> about security because it only runs locally on your PC.

    > I am under the impression that PHP is "Server-side HTML embedded scripting
    > language"
    > How can you be sure your visitors will have a local version of PHP.exe ?

    It's not for your visitors; it's being used client-side only by the
    developer. The visitors only see the static html.

    Dave, Mar 3, 2010
  16. 123Jim

    123Jim Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > 123Jim wrote:
    >> "Dave" <> wrote in message

    >>> Every pure static html site I develop these days is actually written in
    >>> PHP, sometimes entirely PHP, sometimes a mix of HTML and PHP.
    >>>
    >>> I use a client side copy of PHP.EXE to build my static HTML files and
    >>> upload these to the server. With a batch file you can literally set it
    >>> up so that a single double-click of the .BAT will rebuild the entire
    >>> site and upload it. You could even use MAKE to just rebuild and upload
    >>> the changed files.
    >>>
    >>> Having the site in PHP means you can implement your nav menu or any
    >>> other content that appears repeatedly throughout the site as a call to a
    >>> PHP function. In fact, decoupling the structure of the site's source
    >>> from the structure of the resultant HTML is rather like the difference
    >>> between programming in the old non-structured BASIC versus something
    >>> like C++; I would never go back to the former now. Plus, it's a great
    >>> way to learn PHP - you have a nice big rich PHP sandpit to play in and
    >>> no need to worry about security because it only runs locally on your PC.

    >> I am under the impression that PHP is "Server-side HTML embedded
    >> scripting language"
    >> How can you be sure your visitors will have a local version of PHP.exe ?

    > It's not for your visitors; it's being used client-side only by the
    > developer. The visitors only see the static html.

    Ah, interesting thanks.

    The question occurs to me ... What is an example of a NON-static web
    page/site? Youtube?

    123Jim, Mar 3, 2010
  17. 123Jim

    Dave Guest

    123Jim wrote:
    > "Dave" <> wrote in message
    >> 123Jim wrote:
    >>> "Dave" <> wrote in message

    >>> I am under the impression that PHP is "Server-side HTML embedded
    >>> scripting language"
    >>> How can you be sure your visitors will have a local version of PHP.exe ?

    >> It's not for your visitors; it's being used client-side only by the
    >> developer. The visitors only see the static html.

    > Ah, interesting thanks.
    >
    > The question occurs to me ... What is an example of a NON-static web
    > page/site? Youtube?

    Well yes, but that's a rather complex site and I wouldn't want to imply
    a relationship between complexity and staticness.

    A pure static html site can only employ HTML, CSS and JavaScript.

    If the site uses server-side scripting (like PHP) or other server-side
    features like SSI then you'd class that as non-static because the server
    needs to generate the page each time a request is made for it rather
    than just serving up an existing static HTML file. For example, if you
    needed something like a database lookup then you'd need to use
    server-side technology.

    Dave, Mar 3, 2010
  18. 123Jim wrote:
    > "Dave"<> wrote:

    >> I use a client side copy of PHP.EXE to build my static HTML files and
    >> upload these to the server. With a batch file you can literally set it up
    >> so that a single double-click of the .BAT will rebuild the entire site and
    >> upload it. You could even use MAKE to just rebuild and upload the changed
    >> files.

    <snip>

    > I am under the impression that PHP is "Server-side HTML embedded scripting
    > language"
    > How can you be sure your visitors will have a local version of PHP.exe ?

    IOW he is using PHP on his machine as a preprocessor.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan

    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 3, 2010
  19. 123Jim

    Rob W. Guest

    Op 3-3-2010 13:43, Jonathan N. Little schreef:

    > IOW he is using PHP on his machine as a preprocessor.

    Awesome!

    --
    Rob

    Rob W., Mar 3, 2010