beta testing

A. Sinan Unur

if anyone is interested in beta testing this,

Robin, you could try to learn Perl in your free time, rather than coming
up with crap like this.

Well, the whole script is one colossal bug.

I especially found:

$key = "$userparam$string$about$string$nick$string$aim$string$icq$string
$hobbies$string$favoritethings$string$webtitle$string${websiteaddress}
private\n" if $privateparam;

No wonder you have spelling errors sprinkled at various points in the
scripts. Who has the ocular dexterity to decipher this?

Sinan.

A. Sinan Unur

Well, the whole script is one colossal bug.

I especially found:

$key =

I am sorry, I did a partial paste. Here is the interesting bit from
bbs.pl:

if ($psplit2[0] eq $userparam)
{
$key = "$userparam$string$about$string$nick$string$aim$string$icq
$string$hobbies$string$favoritethings$string$webtitle$string
${websiteaddress}private\n" if $privateparam;
$key="$userparam$string$about$string$nick$string$aim$string$icq
$string$hobbies$string$favoritethings$string$webtitle$string
${websiteaddress}\n" if ! $privateparam;
}

Please do not attempt to explain this as the explanation might be even
more painful than looking at the actual code.

No wonder you have spelling errors sprinkled at various points in the
scripts. Who has the ocular dexterity to decipher this?

A couple of recommendations:

* Look into the CGI::Application module (or any of its descendants).

* For my elementary needs, I have found CGI::Application coupled with
CGI::Application::Session, Class::DBI (w/ sqlite) and HTML::Template to
be a wonderful combination.

* And, I cannot stress this enough, please do consider thinking before
programming.

* Do read the documentation for the modules you are using.

* Your code is sprinkled with crap like this:

my $hobbies = param ('fivehobbies');
$hobbies =~ s/>/>/gm;
$hobbies =~ s/</</gm;
$hobbies =~ s/>/>/mg;
$hobbies =~ s/</&lt;/mg;

WTF? Use the HTML::Entities module:

#! /usr/bin/perl

use CGI;
use HTML::Entities;

my $cgi = CGI->new;

if(defined (my $value = $cgi->param('value'))) {
print $cgi->header, encode_entities($value);
} else {
print $cgi->header, <<HTML
<form>
<input type="text" size="20" name="value">
<input type="submit">
</form>
HTML
;
}
__END__

Sinan.

A. Sinan Unur

please do not hack my script. thanks.
-robin

It is not everyday that I meet someone with IQ lower than the room
temperature.

If you don't want people to see your code (perfectly understandable given
the way you code), then you should not place a public link to download the
source code.

If you don't want people to evaluate your code, then you shouldn't ask
people to test it.

Sinan.

Jeff

robin said:

Robin, do you ever worry some potential 'client' of yours may search
Usenet for postings form you to learn more about you before hiring you?

Maybe you should.