    Anybody know?
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (Pete Cresswell), Mar 17, 2005

  2. (Pete Cresswell) wrote:

    > The one feature that I lust after in Agent is the ability to default to
    > different return addresses depending on the folder that is currently open
    > when I create the message or reply.
    >
    > Mainly, I'd have the bogus addr you see on this assigned to NGs....but
    > maybe have a "real" address as my default for regular mail and maybe
    > variations on it for various mailing lists.
    >
    > Anybody know?

    I think that's an excellent idea, but I doubt any mail client supports it,
    yet. There are other usability enhancements like shortcut-keys which send a
    message to the right mail folder depending on the assignment of keys. There
    is also wide support now for automatic BCC field (this is good if you keep
    an archive of outgoing mail), which works impeccably in conjunction with
    mail filters -- those that put it in 'sent items' on the machine which
    keeps the archive.

    Back to your suggestion, Thunderbird allows you to specify different
    return-to address, identity and signature (?) depending on the mail
    account. If you split your mail based on E-mail accounts, e.g. if you own a
    domain, then this will provide the solution.

    Roy

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, Mar 18, 2005

  3. (Pete Cresswell)

    Jan Faerber Guest

    (Pete Cresswell) ... output:

    > Mainly, I'd have the bogus addr you see on this assigned to NGs....but
    > maybe have a "real" address as my default for regular mail and maybe
    > variations on it for various mailing lists.
    >
    > Anybody know?

    Maybe.

    --
    Jan

    http://www.h-tut.at

    Jan Faerber, Mar 19, 2005
  4. (Pete Cresswell)

    Els Guest

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    >
    >> The one feature that I lust after in Agent is the ability to default to
    >> different return addresses depending on the folder that is currently open
    >> when I create the message or reply.
    >>
    >> Mainly, I'd have the bogus addr you see on this assigned to NGs....but
    >> maybe have a "real" address as my default for regular mail and maybe
    >> variations on it for various mailing lists.
    >>
    >> Anybody know?

    > I think that's an excellent idea, but I doubt any mail client supports it,
    > yet. There are other usability enhancements like shortcut-keys which send a
    > message to the right mail folder depending on the assignment of keys. There
    > is also wide support now for automatic BCC field (this is good if you keep
    > an archive of outgoing mail), which works impeccably in conjunction with
    > mail filters -- those that put it in 'sent items' on the machine which
    > keeps the archive.
    >
    > Back to your suggestion, Thunderbird allows you to specify different
    > return-to address, identity and signature (?) depending on the mail
    > account. If you split your mail based on E-mail accounts, e.g. if you own a
    > domain, then this will provide the solution.

    I'm probably missing something, as you start saying that you doubt any
    mail client supports it, and then you say how Thunderbird does?

    Anyway, I just changed from X-news to 40tude Dialog because of the
    same thing. Works great: I can use identities based on which folder
    I'm in. I can have a different identity for each newsgroup if I want,
    which includes from and reply to addresses and signatures, and all
    kinds of features.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Mar 19, 2005
  5. Per Jan Faerber:
    >Maybe.

    In the early days (say 10 years ago) it was probably one of those "why would
    anybody want to do *that*?" things.

    In the context of spam, the act of using different return addresses for
    different types of messages would seem to be a basic necessity.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (Pete Cresswell), Mar 19, 2005
  6. Els wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    >>
    >>> The one feature that I lust after in Agent is the ability to default to
    >>> different return addresses depending on the folder that is currently
    >>> open when I create the message or reply.
    >>>
    >>> Mainly, I'd have the bogus addr you see on this assigned to NGs....but
    >>> maybe have a "real" address as my default for regular mail and maybe
    >>> variations on it for various mailing lists.
    >>>
    >>> Anybody know?

    >> I think that's an excellent idea, but I doubt any mail client supports
    >> it, yet. There are other usability enhancements like shortcut-keys which
    >> send a message to the right mail folder depending on the assignment of
    >> keys. There is also wide support now for automatic BCC field (this is
    >> good if you keep an archive of outgoing mail), which works impeccably in
    >> conjunction with mail filters -- those that put it in 'sent items' on the
    >> machine which keeps the archive.
    >>
    >> Back to your suggestion, Thunderbird allows you to specify different
    >> return-to address, identity and signature (?) depending on the mail
    >> account. If you split your mail based on E-mail accounts, e.g. if you own
    >> a domain, then this will provide the solution.

    > I'm probably missing something, as you start saying that you doubt any
    > mail client supports it, and then you say how Thunderbird does?

    Thunderbird does not track the current view (folder) you are in, e.g. work,
    play, unresolved. It sets the return-to address depending on the server
    from which the message was received.

    > Anyway, I just changed from X-news to 40tude Dialog because of the
    > same thing. Works great: I can use identities based on which folder
    > I'm in. I can have a different identity for each newsgroup if I want,
    > which includes from and reply to addresses and signatures, and all
    > kinds of features.

    That sounds like a nice idea. Different signatures for work, friends,
    family, etc. I'm glad to hear that you found what you had been looking for.

    Roy

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, Mar 20, 2005
  7. (Pete Cresswell) wrote:

    > Per Jan Faerber:
    >>Maybe.

    > In the early days (say 10 years ago) it was probably one of those "why
    > would anybody want to do *that*?" things.
    >
    > In the context of spam, the act of using different return addresses for
    > different types of messages would seem to be a basic necessity.

    I agree. However, why would you reply a message that will potentially
    attract spam? Also, why get questionable mail delivered to you main
    account? I find this to be distraction which makes mail checkers (biffs)
    useless.

    If you own a domain (and you can create many mail accounts), then I suggest
    you use that method you are after. Set reply-to address to be completely
    different for each mail folder. In due time, you will be able to filter
    messages purely on the basis of 'account', which is the most reliable
    criterion. You will never need to sort your incoming mail anymore.

    Roy

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, Mar 20, 2005
  8. (Pete Cresswell)

    Jan Faerber Guest

    (Pete Cresswell) ... output:

    > In the context of spam,

    [let me snip here]

    <q cite="http://janfaerber.com/archiv/spam/penis">
    band blp whittier yb beatrice ld bookbind ka <br>
    term iff let ejv passover vuy happy lsj finite soq soot adm notify qe
    noontime uyi <br>
    cpa wl puc bfb trough tj aptitude xmc <br>
    </q>

    When I view this spam mail with mozilla it looks like this:
    http://janfaerber.com/archiv/spam/penis_cap.jpg
    I never saw this - where is the css? Is it integrated in Mozilla?

    Opera can not show it that way - it displays the full info:
    http://janfaerber.com/archiv/spam/penis_cap.jpg

    Anyway - what means the quoted text above near the unsubscribe link?
    Is it english slang? And if not why do they use meaningless letters?

    --
    Jan

    http://www.h-tut.at

    Jan Faerber, Mar 20, 2005
  9. Per Roy Schestowitz:
    >I agree. However, why would you reply a message that will potentially
    >attract spam? Also, why get questionable mail delivered to you main
    >account? I find this to be distraction which makes mail checkers (biffs)
    >useless.

    It's the distinction between NGs and email. Agent does both. I've got more
    email addresses than Carter has liver pills - and I use them .... but the big
    danger from my perspective is when I reply to an NG posting, a "real" address
    would get out.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (Pete Cresswell), Mar 20, 2005