Beta Version Question: Multiple return addrs?

(Pete Cresswell)

The one feature that I lust after in Agent is the ability to default to
different return addresses depending on the folder that is currently open when I
create the message or reply.

Mainly, I'd have the bogus addr you see on this assigned to NGs....but maybe
have a "real" address as my default for regular mail and maybe variations on it
for various mailing lists.

Anybody know?

Roy Schestowitz

(Pete Cresswell) said:
The one feature that I lust after in Agent is the ability to default to
different return addresses depending on the folder that is currently open
when I create the message or reply.

Mainly, I'd have the bogus addr you see on this assigned to NGs....but
maybe have a "real" address as my default for regular mail and maybe
variations on it for various mailing lists.

Anybody know?

I think that's an excellent idea, but I doubt any mail client supports it,
yet. There are other usability enhancements like shortcut-keys which send a
message to the right mail folder depending on the assignment of keys. There
is also wide support now for automatic BCC field (this is good if you keep
an archive of outgoing mail), which works impeccably in conjunction with
mail filters -- those that put it in 'sent items' on the machine which
keeps the archive.

Back to your suggestion, Thunderbird allows you to specify different
return-to address, identity and signature (?) depending on the mail
account. If you split your mail based on E-mail accounts, e.g. if you own a
domain, then this will provide the solution.

Roy

Jan Faerber

(Pete Cresswell) ... output:

Mainly, I'd have the bogus addr you see on this assigned to NGs....but
maybe have a "real" address as my default for regular mail and maybe
variations on it for various mailing lists.

Anybody know?

Maybe.

Els

Roy said:
I think that's an excellent idea, but I doubt any mail client supports it,
yet. There are other usability enhancements like shortcut-keys which send a
message to the right mail folder depending on the assignment of keys. There
is also wide support now for automatic BCC field (this is good if you keep
an archive of outgoing mail), which works impeccably in conjunction with
mail filters -- those that put it in 'sent items' on the machine which
keeps the archive.

Back to your suggestion, Thunderbird allows you to specify different
return-to address, identity and signature (?) depending on the mail
account. If you split your mail based on E-mail accounts, e.g. if you own a
domain, then this will provide the solution.

I'm probably missing something, as you start saying that you doubt any
mail client supports it, and then you say how Thunderbird does?

Anyway, I just changed from X-news to 40tude Dialog because of the
same thing. Works great: I can use identities based on which folder
I'm in. I can have a different identity for each newsgroup if I want,
which includes from and reply to addresses and signatures, and all
kinds of features.

(Pete Cresswell)

Per Jan Faerber:

In the early days (say 10 years ago) it was probably one of those "why would
anybody want to do *that*?" things.

In the context of spam, the act of using different return addresses for
different types of messages would seem to be a basic necessity.

Roy Schestowitz

Els said:
I'm probably missing something, as you start saying that you doubt any
mail client supports it, and then you say how Thunderbird does?

Thunderbird does not track the current view (folder) you are in, e.g. work,
play, unresolved. It sets the return-to address depending on the server
from which the message was received.
Anyway, I just changed from X-news to 40tude Dialog because of the
same thing. Works great: I can use identities based on which folder
I'm in. I can have a different identity for each newsgroup if I want,
which includes from and reply to addresses and signatures, and all
kinds of features.

That sounds like a nice idea. Different signatures for work, friends,
family, etc. I'm glad to hear that you found what you had been looking for.

Roy

Roy Schestowitz

(Pete Cresswell) said:
Per Jan Faerber:

In the early days (say 10 years ago) it was probably one of those "why
would anybody want to do *that*?" things.

In the context of spam, the act of using different return addresses for
different types of messages would seem to be a basic necessity.

I agree. However, why would you reply a message that will potentially
attract spam? Also, why get questionable mail delivered to you main
account? I find this to be distraction which makes mail checkers (biffs)
useless.

If you own a domain (and you can create many mail accounts), then I suggest
you use that method you are after. Set reply-to address to be completely
different for each mail folder. In due time, you will be able to filter
messages purely on the basis of 'account', which is the most reliable
criterion. You will never need to sort your incoming mail anymore.

Roy

Jan Faerber

(Pete Cresswell) ... output:
In the context of spam,
[let me snip here]

<q cite="http://janfaerber.com/archiv/spam/penis">
band blp whittier yb beatrice ld bookbind ka <br>
term iff let ejv passover vuy happy lsj finite soq soot adm notify qe
noontime uyi <br>
cpa wl puc bfb trough tj aptitude xmc <br>
</q>

When I view this spam mail with mozilla it looks like this:
http://janfaerber.com/archiv/spam/penis_cap.jpg
I never saw this - where is the css? Is it integrated in Mozilla?

Opera can not show it that way - it displays the full info:
http://janfaerber.com/archiv/spam/penis_cap.jpg

Anyway - what means the quoted text above near the unsubscribe link?
Is it english slang? And if not why do they use meaningless letters?

(Pete Cresswell)

Per Roy Schestowitz:
I agree. However, why would you reply a message that will potentially
attract spam? Also, why get questionable mail delivered to you main
account? I find this to be distraction which makes mail checkers (biffs)
useless.

It's the distinction between NGs and email. Agent does both. I've got more
email addresses than Carter has liver pills - and I use them .... but the big
danger from my perspective is when I reply to an NG posting, a "real" address
would get out.