Better way to mark this up?

Jay

I'm looking for some opinions.

On http://www.taalliance.org/centers/region1.htm I am listing parent centers
within that specific region. Currently I am using the <p> tag to separate
each one with <br> for line breaks. Since this is a _list_ of parent centers
is there a better way to mark this up? I was thinking about the <ul> tag but
not sure how I would implement it.

What do you think?

Thanks,

- J

brucie

does rf know his roo is moonlighting on your site and he appears
somewhat excited about it?
I am listing parent centers within that specific region. Currently I
am using the <p> tag to separate each one with <br> for line breaks.
I was thinking about the <ul> tag but not sure how I would implement it.

<ul>
Connecticut Parent Advocacy Center (CPAC)<br>
338 Main Street<br>
Niantic, CT 06357<br>
860-739-3089 Voice &amp; TDD<br>
860-739-7460 FAX (Call first to dedicate line)<br>
1-800-445-2722 in CT<br>
Web Site: <a href="http://www.cpacinc.org">www.cpacinc.org</a>

Maine Parent Federation<br>
P.O. Box 2067<br>
Augusta, ME 04338-2067<br>
207-623-2144<br>
207-623-2148 FAX<br>
1-800-870-7746<br>
Web Site: <a href="http://www.mpf.org">www.mpf.org</a>

</ul>

also think about sticking your empty anchors on something, some browsers
don't like empty <a>s.

Jay

brucie said:
does rf know his roo is moonlighting on your site and he appears
somewhat excited about it?

What is his 'roo'?
<ul>
Connecticut Parent Advocacy Center (CPAC)<br>
338 Main Street<br>
Niantic, CT 06357<br>
860-739-3089 Voice &amp; TDD<br>
860-739-7460 FAX (Call first to dedicate line)<br>
1-800-445-2722 in CT<br>
Web Site: <a href="http://www.cpacinc.org">www.cpacinc.org</a>

Maine Parent Federation<br>
P.O. Box 2067<br>
Augusta, ME 04338-2067<br>
207-623-2144<br>
207-623-2148 FAX<br>
1-800-870-7746<br>
Web Site: <a href="http://www.mpf.org">www.mpf.org</a>

</ul>

also think about sticking your empty anchors on something, some browsers
don't like empty <a>s.

Would it work if I did it as <li id="ME">?

- J

PeterMcC

Jay said:
I'm looking for some opinions.

On http://www.taalliance.org/centers/region1.htm I am listing parent
centers within that specific region. Currently I am using the <p> tag
to separate each one with <br> for line breaks. Since this is a
_list_ of parent centers is there a better way to mark this up? I was
thinking about the <ul> tag but not sure how I would implement it.

I don't think it'll save you much mark-up but a list does seem more
logical - it looks like a definition list to me. You can then adjust line
spacing etc with CSS

<DL>
<DT>
Connecticut
</DT>
<DD>Connecticut Parent Advocacy Center (CPAC)<br>
338 Main Street<br>
Niantic, CT 06357<br>
860-739-3089 Voice & TDD<br>
860-739-7460 FAX (Call first to dedicate line)<br>
1-800-445-2722 in CT<br>
E-mail: (e-mail address removed) <br>
Web Site: www.cpacinc.org
</DD>
<DT>
Maine
</DT>
<DD>Maine Parent Federation<br>
P.O. Box 2067<br>
Augusta, ME 04338-2067<br>
207-623-2144<br>
207-623-2148 FAX<br>
1-800-870-7746<br>
E-mail: (e-mail address removed) <br>
Web Site: www.mpf.org
</DD>
</DL>

HTH

Jukka K. Korpela

PeterMcC said:
I don't think it'll save you much mark-up but a list does seem more
logical - it looks like a definition list to me. You can then
adjust line spacing etc with CSS

<DL>
<DT>
Connecticut

Do you think you are defining the term "Connecticut"? A _definition_
for it would be, for example, "a state in the United States". A pretty
uninformative definition, but a defitinion anyway.

And if you've decided to use DL, you will find yourself somewhat
confused with the oddities in browsers - they might even refuse to
apply your styles to the DT elements.

rf

brucie said:
does rf know his roo is moonlighting on your site and he appears
somewhat excited about it?

What? Where...?

Oh, I see. Well, Long Island didn't look like that last thime *I* was there
:)

Cheers
Richard.

PeterMcC

Jukka said:
Do you think you are defining the term "Connecticut"? A _definition_
for it would be, for example, "a state in the United States". A pretty
uninformative definition, but a defitinion anyway.

We could argue as to whether, under a heading of "Region 1 Parent Centers",
what is implied by "Connecticut" as a defined term is "[The Region 1 Parent
Center in ]Connecticut" and its contact details are given as the
definition - but blow that for a lark, have a good festive season, Jukka -
and everyone else too - though I wouldn't want to force that on anyone,
brucie :)

Luigi Donatello Asero

PeterMcC said:
Jukka said:
Do you think you are defining the term "Connecticut"? A _definition_
for it would be, for example, "a state in the United States". A pretty
uninformative definition, but a defitinion anyway.

We could argue as to whether, under a heading of "Region 1 Parent Centers",
what is implied by "Connecticut" as a defined term is "[The Region 1 Parent
Center in ]Connecticut" and its contact details are given as the
definition - but blow that for a lark, have a good festive season, Jukka -
and everyone else too - though I wouldn't want to force that on anyone,
brucie :)

A good festive season to you too.

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.html

Andrew Glasgow

Jukka K. Korpela said:
Do you think you are defining the term "Connecticut"? A _definition_
for it would be, for example, "a state in the United States". A pretty
uninformative definition, but a defitinion anyway.

And if you've decided to use DL, you will find yourself somewhat
confused with the oddities in browsers - they might even refuse to
apply your styles to the DT elements.

I think that it is a little overly literalistic to restrict Definition
List elements to purely the definitions of words. A list of this
structure:

Item
Explanation of the item

fits the definition list structure. I don't mean the format -- the
indent could be replaced with a different font size or something. I mean
that there is a key term and then an 'expansion' of that term. If a
browser had the option for it, you could have the DTs as a list with the
DDs hidden until you clicked on a widget next to the DT. I've always
thought that would make a lot of sense as an option for definition lists.

Jukka K. Korpela

Andrew Glasgow said:
I think that it is a little overly literalistic to restrict
Definition List elements to purely the definitions of words.

Indeed, since we can also define abbreviations, phrases and symbols.
Item
Explanation of the item

fits the definition list structure.

No, it doesn't. An "explanation" in the sense you mean ain't no
definition. It's just text under a heading. This should give a clue of
the appropriate markup.

If you wish to use <dl> for pretty much anything due to its formatting
effects, you're in good company - the W3C gives a simple definition of
<dl> as a definition list, then proceeds to giving notes and examples
that are do not match that at all. Go ahead, if you wish to use <dl> as
a poor man's layout tool - but remember that such tools don't behave
well when you try to use CSS upon them. But you're not giving
definitions at all. It's better to be honest with this than to explain
everything possible as a "definition".