    What do you think?

    Thanks,

    - J

    Jay, Dec 24, 2003

  2. Jay

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:eek:kiGb.31434$>
    Jay said:

    > I'm looking for some opinions.
    > On http://www.taalliance.org/centers/region1.htm

    does rf know his roo is moonlighting on your site and he appears
    somewhat excited about it?

    > I am listing parent centers within that specific region. Currently I
    > am using the <p> tag to separate each one with <br> for line breaks.
    > I was thinking about the <ul> tag but not sure how I would implement it.

    <ul>
    Connecticut Parent Advocacy Center (CPAC)<br>
    338 Main Street<br>
    Niantic, CT 06357<br>
    860-739-3089 Voice &amp; TDD<br>
    860-739-7460 FAX (Call first to dedicate line)<br>
    1-800-445-2722 in CT<br>
    Web Site: <a href="http://www.cpacinc.org">www.cpacinc.org</a>

    Maine Parent Federation<br>
    P.O. Box 2067<br>
    Augusta, ME 04338-2067<br>
    207-623-2144<br>
    207-623-2148 FAX<br>
    1-800-870-7746<br>
    Web Site: <a href="http://www.mpf.org">www.mpf.org</a>

    </ul>

    also think about sticking your empty anchors on something, some browsers
    don't like empty <a>s.

    --
    brucie
    25/December/2003 01:38:37 am kilo

    brucie, Dec 24, 2003

  3. Jay

    Jay Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > in post <news:eek:kiGb.31434$>
    > Jay said:
    >
    > > I'm looking for some opinions.
    > > On http://www.taalliance.org/centers/region1.htm

    > does rf know his roo is moonlighting on your site and he appears
    > somewhat excited about it?

    What is his 'roo'?

    > > I am listing parent centers within that specific region. Currently I
    > > am using the <p> tag to separate each one with <br> for line breaks.
    > > I was thinking about the <ul> tag but not sure how I would implement it.

    > <ul>
    > Connecticut Parent Advocacy Center (CPAC)<br>
    > 338 Main Street<br>
    > Niantic, CT 06357<br>
    > 860-739-3089 Voice &amp; TDD<br>
    > 860-739-7460 FAX (Call first to dedicate line)<br>
    > 1-800-445-2722 in CT<br>
    > Web Site: <a href="http://www.cpacinc.org">www.cpacinc.org</a>

    > Maine Parent Federation<br>
    > P.O. Box 2067<br>
    > Augusta, ME 04338-2067<br>
    > 207-623-2144<br>
    > 207-623-2148 FAX<br>
    > 1-800-870-7746<br>
    > Web Site: <a href="http://www.mpf.org">www.mpf.org</a>

    > </ul>
    >
    > also think about sticking your empty anchors on something, some browsers
    > don't like empty <a>s.

    Would it work if I did it as <li id="ME">?

    - J

    Jay, Dec 24, 2003
  4. Jay

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:lWiGb.32755$>

    http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/roo.jpg

    >> also think about sticking your empty anchors on something, some browsers
    >> don't like empty <a>s.

    > Would it work if I did it as <li id="ME">?

    no, some browsers don't like IDs.

    --
    brucie
    25/December/2003 02:15:09 am kilo

    brucie, Dec 24, 2003
  5. Jay

    PeterMcC Guest

    Jay wrote:
    > I'm looking for some opinions.
    >
    > On http://www.taalliance.org/centers/region1.htm I am listing parent
    > centers within that specific region. Currently I am using the <p> tag
    > to separate each one with <br> for line breaks. Since this is a
    > _list_ of parent centers is there a better way to mark this up? I was
    > thinking about the <ul> tag but not sure how I would implement it.

    I don't think it'll save you much mark-up but a list does seem more
    logical - it looks like a definition list to me. You can then adjust line
    spacing etc with CSS

    <DL>
    <DT>
    Connecticut
    </DT>
    <DD>Connecticut Parent Advocacy Center (CPAC)<br>
    338 Main Street<br>
    Niantic, CT 06357<br>
    860-739-3089 Voice & TDD<br>
    860-739-7460 FAX (Call first to dedicate line)<br>
    1-800-445-2722 in CT<br>
    E-mail: <br>
    Web Site: www.cpacinc.org
    </DD>
    <DT>
    Maine
    </DT>
    <DD>Maine Parent Federation<br>
    P.O. Box 2067<br>
    Augusta, ME 04338-2067<br>
    207-623-2144<br>
    207-623-2148 FAX<br>
    1-800-870-7746<br>
    E-mail: <br>
    Web Site: www.mpf.org
    </DD>
    </DL>

    HTH

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,

    PeterMcC, Dec 24, 2003
  6. Jay

    Jay Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > in post <news:lWiGb.32755$>

    > >> does rf know his roo is moonlighting on your site and he appears
    > >> somewhat excited about it?

    > > What is his 'roo'?

    > http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/roo.jpg

    lol...nice

    > >> also think about sticking your empty anchors on something, some

    browsers
    > >> don't like empty <a>s.

    > > Would it work if I did it as <li id="ME">?

    > no, some browsers don't like IDs.

    Thanks Brucie! Yer always a big help!

    - J

    Jay, Dec 24, 2003
  7. "PeterMcC" <> wrote:

    > I don't think it'll save you much mark-up but a list does seem more
    > logical - it looks like a definition list to me. You can then
    > adjust line spacing etc with CSS
    >
    > <DL>
    > <DT>
    > Connecticut

    Do you think you are defining the term "Connecticut"? A _definition_
    for it would be, for example, "a state in the United States". A pretty
    uninformative definition, but a defitinion anyway.

    And if you've decided to use DL, you will find yourself somewhat
    confused with the oddities in browsers - they might even refuse to
    apply your styles to the DT elements.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 24, 2003
  8. Jay

    rf Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > in post <news:eek:kiGb.31434$>
    > Jay said:
    >
    > > I'm looking for some opinions.
    > > On http://www.taalliance.org/centers/region1.htm

    > does rf know his roo is moonlighting on your site and he appears
    > somewhat excited about it?

    What? Where...?

    Oh, I see. Well, Long Island didn't look like that last thime *I* was there
    :)

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Dec 25, 2003
  9. Jay

    PeterMcC Guest

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > "PeterMcC" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I don't think it'll save you much mark-up but a list does seem more
    >> logical - it looks like a definition list to me. You can then
    >> adjust line spacing etc with CSS
    >>
    >> <DL>
    >> <DT>
    >> Connecticut

    > Do you think you are defining the term "Connecticut"? A _definition_
    > for it would be, for example, "a state in the United States". A pretty
    > uninformative definition, but a defitinion anyway.

    We could argue as to whether, under a heading of "Region 1 Parent Centers",
    what is implied by "Connecticut" as a defined term is "[The Region 1 Parent
    Center in ]Connecticut" and its contact details are given as the
    definition - but blow that for a lark, have a good festive season, Jukka -
    and everyone else too - though I wouldn't want to force that on anyone,
    brucie :)

    PeterMcC, Dec 25, 2003
  10. "PeterMcC" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > > "PeterMcC" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I don't think it'll save you much mark-up but a list does seem more
    > >> logical - it looks like a definition list to me. You can then
    > >> adjust line spacing etc with CSS
    > >>
    > >> <DL>
    > >> <DT>
    > >> Connecticut

    > > Do you think you are defining the term "Connecticut"? A _definition_
    > > for it would be, for example, "a state in the United States". A pretty
    > > uninformative definition, but a defitinion anyway.

    > We could argue as to whether, under a heading of "Region 1 Parent

    Centers",
    > what is implied by "Connecticut" as a defined term is "[The Region 1

    Parent
    > Center in ]Connecticut" and its contact details are given as the
    > definition - but blow that for a lark, have a good festive season, Jukka -
    > and everyone else too - though I wouldn't want to force that on anyone,
    > brucie :)

    A good festive season to you too.

    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.html

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Dec 25, 2003
  11. In article <Xns945C7F98C0D4jkorpelacstutfi@193.229.0.31>,
    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:

    > "PeterMcC" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I don't think it'll save you much mark-up but a list does seem more
    > > logical - it looks like a definition list to me. You can then
    > > adjust line spacing etc with CSS
    > >
    > > <DL>
    > > <DT>
    > > Connecticut

    > Do you think you are defining the term "Connecticut"? A _definition_
    > for it would be, for example, "a state in the United States". A pretty
    > uninformative definition, but a defitinion anyway.
    >
    > And if you've decided to use DL, you will find yourself somewhat
    > confused with the oddities in browsers - they might even refuse to
    > apply your styles to the DT elements.

    I think that it is a little overly literalistic to restrict Definition
    List elements to purely the definitions of words. A list of this
    structure:

    Item
    Explanation of the item

    fits the definition list structure. I don't mean the format -- the
    indent could be replaced with a different font size or something. I mean
    that there is a key term and then an 'expansion' of that term. If a
    browser had the option for it, you could have the DTs as a list with the
    DDs hidden until you clicked on a widget next to the DT. I've always
    thought that would make a lot of sense as an option for definition lists.

    --
    | Andrew Glasgow <amg39(at)cornell.edu> |
    | "Virtues foster one another; so too, vices. Bad English kills trees, |

    Andrew Glasgow, Dec 25, 2003
  12. Andrew Glasgow <> wrote:

    > I think that it is a little overly literalistic to restrict
    > Definition List elements to purely the definitions of words.

    Indeed, since we can also define abbreviations, phrases and symbols.

    > Item
    > Explanation of the item
    >
    > fits the definition list structure.

    No, it doesn't. An "explanation" in the sense you mean ain't no
    definition. It's just text under a heading. This should give a clue of
    the appropriate markup.

    If you wish to use <dl> for pretty much anything due to its formatting
    effects, you're in good company - the W3C gives a simple definition of
    <dl> as a definition list, then proceeds to giving notes and examples
    that are do not match that at all. Go ahead, if you wish to use <dl> as
    a poor man's layout tool - but remember that such tools don't behave
    well when you try to use CSS upon them. But you're not giving
    definitions at all. It's better to be honest with this than to explain
    everything possible as a "definition".

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 26, 2003