Beyond HTML

EYEBUZZ

Hello,

I'm looking beyond HTML (asp, xml, jsp, etc., etc. ???). One thing I'd like to
do is be able to do is change a part of a web page without having to open up
all the pages. For a very simple example...at the bottom of each of my pages
is a copyright notice and so at the end of the year I'd like to change the date
to the new year....currently, in HTML, I have to open all pages and make the
change....I'd like to just open one file and make the change (footer.txt ... or
such)....will ASP or JSP or XML or What help me out?

Thanks,

Tim

PeterMcC

Hello,

I'm looking beyond HTML (asp, xml, jsp, etc., etc. ???). One thing
I'd like to do is be able to do is change a part of a web page
without having to open up all the pages. For a very simple
example...at the bottom of each of my pages is a copyright notice and
so at the end of the year I'd like to change the date to the new
year....currently, in HTML, I have to open all pages and make the
change....I'd like to just open one file and make the change
(footer.txt ... or such)....will ASP or JSP or XML or What help me
out?

Ever so easy with SSI.

http://www.bignosebird.com/sdocs/include.shtml

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, EYEBUZZ <[email protected]> feverishly typed:

[...]
example...at the bottom of each of my pages is a copyright notice and
so at the end of the year I'd like to change the date to the new
year

You can do this, but you shouldn't! The copyright date refers to the date
the document was created. It makes sense for you to keep the original
date - if (for example) you created a page in 2002 and someone copied it in
2003, if you pursue legal action on them with your page stating "copyright
2004" you have one less leg to stand on, as they can claim their page was
created before yours!

IANAL

Hope that helps,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss.

Email address is not valid. (e-mail address removed). Take the dog out!

Blinky the Shark

EYEBUZZ said:
I'm looking beyond HTML (asp, xml, jsp, etc., etc. ???). One thing
I'd like to do is be able to do is change a part of a web page without
having to open up all the pages. For a very simple example...at the
bottom of each of my pages is a copyright notice and so at the end of
the year I'd like to change the date to the new year....currently, in
HTML, I have to open all pages and make the change....I'd like to just
open one file and make the change (footer.txt ... or such)....will ASP
or JSP or XML or What help me out?

Extremely small and simple (a perl script), once set up: check the
HTML/CSS Preprocessor link in the internet section of my links page...

http://blinkynet.net/

Chuck

You can do this, but you shouldn't! The copyright date refers to the date
the document was created. It makes sense for you to keep the original
date - if (for example) you created a page in 2002 and someone copied it in
2003, if you pursue legal action on them with your page stating "copyright
2004" you have one less leg to stand on, as they can claim their page was
created before yours!

Some people use Copyright 2001-2004, to indicate that the original
content was first copyright in 2001, but changes have been made up to
and including 2004. I don't know if it's proper, but many people do
it.

-Chuck. (www.wormspeaker.com)
Spread love and understanding...
but don't be afraid to bloody your knuckles doing it.
-Alex Ross

Paul Furman

Blinky said:
Extremely small and simple (a perl script), once set up: check the
HTML/CSS Preprocessor link in the internet section of my links page...

http://blinkynet.net/

Again, I ask: can this be previewed locally as I code, like with 1stPage
or I'd have to set up a server & browse to that address?

Default User

nice.guy.nige said:
You can do this, but you shouldn't! The copyright date refers to the date
the document was created. It makes sense for you to keep the original
date - if (for example) you created a page in 2002 and someone copied it in
2003, if you pursue legal action on them with your page stating "copyright
2004" you have one less leg to stand on, as they can claim their page was
created before yours!

This has no legal bearing one way or the other. After all, the thief
could put "copyright 1989" on the stolen materials.

Brian Rodenborn

nice.guy.nige

This has no legal bearing one way or the other. After all, the thief
could put "copyright 1989" on the stolen materials.

Well, he could, but I'm betting the file creation dates would beg to differ!

Cheers,
Nige

--

nice.guy.nige said:
Well, he could, but I'm betting the file creation dates would beg to differ!

Those wouldn't mean much at all. Easy to fake, plus copies would have
new dates. Merely renaming the file would erase that.

Brian Rodenborn

Marc Nadeau

Paul Furman a écrit:
PeterMcC wrote:
Hello,

I'm looking beyond HTML (asp, xml, jsp, etc., etc. ???). One thing I'd
like to do is be able to do is change a part of a web page without having
to open up
all the pages. For a very simple example...at the bottom of each of my
pages is a copyright notice and so at the end of the year I'd like to
change the date to the new year....currently, in HTML, I have to open all
pages and make the change....I'd like to just open one file and make the
change (footer.txt ... or such)....will ASP or JSP or XML or What help me
out?

Paul Furman a écrit:
How do I see this when working locally? I'd have to set up an apache
server & browse to //localfile or something like that? No way to preview
as I edit in an editor like 1stpage?

or is there really more to it than just

<!--#include file="sample.txt" -->

What you want to do *has* to be done on the server side.

To work with SSI or server side languages (aps, php, etc...) you need to
setup a server anyways.

apache is free, not so hard to setup for basic functions and will satisfy
all of your needs.

'Server side includes' are *very* easy to use.

ALSO: Do not trust what you see in preview windows of web editors.
Test your pages in the real world: IE, Mozilla, Opera, lynx, etc...

Bonne chance!

Weyoun the Dancing Bong

EYEBUZZ said:
Hello,

I'm looking beyond HTML (asp, xml, jsp, etc., etc. ???). One thing I'd like to
do is be able to do is change a part of a web page without having to open up
all the pages. For a very simple example...at the bottom of each of my pages
is a copyright notice and so at the end of the year I'd like to change the date
to the new year....currently, in HTML, I have to open all pages and make the
change....I'd like to just open one file and make the change (footer.txt .... or
such)....will ASP or JSP or XML or What help me out?

I haven't programed in JSP before, but it's easily done in PHP or VBscript
(ASP). The way I did it in VBScript was to make a "footer.asp" and
basically, a dynamically created page would look like this:

<call "header.asp">
<input dynamic information from database>
<call "footer.asp"> and then you have a full page with all the menus,
dynamic content and footer, with less than 20 lines of programing :)

--
_______________________________________
/\ \
\_| Legalise today |
| http://www.norml.org |
| |
| | |
| |.| |
|web: http://www. |.| e-mail: weyoun@|
|dancingborg |\./| dancingborg|
|.co.uk |\./| .co.uk|
|. |\./| .|
| \^.\ |\\.//| /.^/ |
| \--.|\ |\\.//| /|.--/ |
| \--.| \ |\\.//| / |.--/ |
| \---.|\ |\./| /|.---/ |
| \--.|\ |\./| /|.--/ |
| \ .\ |.| /. / |
| _ -_^_^_^_- \ \\ // / -_^_^_^_- _ |
| - -/_/_/- ^ ^ | ^ ^ -\_\_\- - |
| __________________________________|__
\_/____________________________________/

Gandalf: Check out my EAGLES!!!
Aragorn: Where the hell did you get Eagles from?
Gandalf: A moth.
Aragorn: Oooohhhh...um...wait...
Gandalf: Don't think. It makes things easier.

http://www.dancingborg.co.uk/bush.mp3 - 18k.

David Dorward

It's local. Read the page I linked.

Ho hum. Repeating myself and using <em> didn't work. Drat.

Maybe if I use bright yellow highlighting... and blinking text... and stick
in a mp3 that plays in the background...