    such)....will ASP or JSP or XML or What help me out?

    Thanks,

    Tim

    EYEBUZZ, Jan 19, 2004

  2. EYEBUZZ

    PeterMcC Guest

    EYEBUZZ <> wrote in
    <>

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm looking beyond HTML (asp, xml, jsp, etc., etc. ???). One thing
    > I'd like to do is be able to do is change a part of a web page
    > without having to open up all the pages. For a very simple
    > example...at the bottom of each of my pages is a copyright notice and
    > so at the end of the year I'd like to change the date to the new
    > year....currently, in HTML, I have to open all pages and make the
    > change....I'd like to just open one file and make the change
    > (footer.txt ... or such)....will ASP or JSP or XML or What help me
    > out?

    Ever so easy with SSI.

    http://www.bignosebird.com/sdocs/include.shtml

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,

    PeterMcC, Jan 19, 2004

  3. While the city slept, EYEBUZZ <> feverishly typed:

    [...]
    > example...at the bottom of each of my pages is a copyright notice and
    > so at the end of the year I'd like to change the date to the new
    > year

    You can do this, but you shouldn't! The copyright date refers to the date
    the document was created. It makes sense for you to keep the original
    date - if (for example) you created a page in 2002 and someone copied it in
    2003, if you pursue legal action on them with your page stating "copyright
    2004" you have one less leg to stand on, as they can claim their page was
    created before yours!

    IANAL

    Hope that helps,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss.

    nice.guy.nige, Jan 19, 2004
  4. EYEBUZZ

    Paul Furman Guest

    PeterMcC wrote:

    > Ever so easy with SSI.
    >
    > http://www.bignosebird.com/sdocs/include.shtml

    How do I see this when working locally? I'd have to set up an apache
    server & browse to //localfile or something like that? No way to preview
    as I edit in an editor like 1stpage?

    or is there really more to it than just

    <!--#include file="sample.txt" -->

    Paul Furman, Jan 19, 2004
  5. EYEBUZZ wrote:

    > Hello,

    > I'm looking beyond HTML (asp, xml, jsp, etc., etc. ???). One thing
    > I'd like to do is be able to do is change a part of a web page without
    > having to open up all the pages. For a very simple example...at the
    > bottom of each of my pages is a copyright notice and so at the end of
    > the year I'd like to change the date to the new year....currently, in
    > HTML, I have to open all pages and make the change....I'd like to just
    > open one file and make the change (footer.txt ... or such)....will ASP
    > or JSP or XML or What help me out?

    Extremely small and simple (a perl script), once set up: check the
    HTML/CSS Preprocessor link in the internet section of my links page...

    http://blinkynet.net/

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 4892F
    Happily slrning again.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 19, 2004
  6. EYEBUZZ

    Chuck Guest

    >You can do this, but you shouldn't! The copyright date refers to the date
    >the document was created. It makes sense for you to keep the original
    >date - if (for example) you created a page in 2002 and someone copied it in
    >2003, if you pursue legal action on them with your page stating "copyright
    >2004" you have one less leg to stand on, as they can claim their page was
    >created before yours!

    Some people use Copyright 2001-2004, to indicate that the original
    content was first copyright in 2001, but changes have been made up to
    and including 2004. I don't know if it's proper, but many people do
    it.

    -Chuck. (www.wormspeaker.com)
    Spread love and understanding...
    but don't be afraid to bloody your knuckles doing it.
    -Alex Ross

    Chuck, Jan 19, 2004
  7. EYEBUZZ

    Paul Furman Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Extremely small and simple (a perl script), once set up: check the
    > HTML/CSS Preprocessor link in the internet section of my links page...
    >
    > http://blinkynet.net/

    Again, I ask: can this be previewed locally as I code, like with 1stPage
    or I'd have to set up a server & browse to that address?

    Paul Furman, Jan 19, 2004
  8. Paul Furman wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> Extremely small and simple (a perl script), once set up: check the
    >> HTML/CSS Preprocessor link in the internet section of my links page...

    >> http://blinkynet.net/

    > Again, I ask: can this be previewed locally as I code, like with 1stPage
    > or I'd have to set up a server & browse to that address?

    It's local. Read the page I linked.

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 4892F
    Happily slrning again.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 19, 2004
  9. EYEBUZZ

    Paul Furman Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Paul Furman wrote:
    >
    >>Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>>Extremely small and simple (a perl script), once set up: check the
    >>>HTML/CSS Preprocessor link in the internet section of my links page...

    >>>http://blinkynet.net/

    >>Again, I ask: can this be previewed locally as I code, like with 1stPage
    >>or I'd have to set up a server & browse to that address?

    > It's local. Read the page I linked.

    Ah... "processes files before they are uploaded to a webserver"
    http://dorward.me.uk/software/dolt/

    Paul Furman, Jan 19, 2004
  10. EYEBUZZ

    Chuck Guest

    Chuck, Jan 19, 2004
  11. EYEBUZZ

    Default User Guest

    "nice.guy.nige" wrote:

    > You can do this, but you shouldn't! The copyright date refers to the date
    > the document was created. It makes sense for you to keep the original
    > date - if (for example) you created a page in 2002 and someone copied it in
    > 2003, if you pursue legal action on them with your page stating "copyright
    > 2004" you have one less leg to stand on, as they can claim their page was
    > created before yours!

    This has no legal bearing one way or the other. After all, the thief
    could put "copyright 1989" on the stolen materials.

    Brian Rodenborn

    Default User, Jan 19, 2004
  12. EYEBUZZ

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:>

    http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another

    --
    brucie - i usenet nude

    brucie, Jan 19, 2004
  13. While the city slept, Default User <>
    feverishly typed:

    > "nice.guy.nige" wrote:
    >
    >> You can do this, but you shouldn't! The copyright date refers to the
    >> date the document was created. It makes sense for you to keep the
    >> original
    >> date - if (for example) you created a page in 2002 and someone
    >> copied it in 2003, if you pursue legal action on them with your page
    >> stating "copyright 2004" you have one less leg to stand on, as they
    >> can claim their page was created before yours!

    > This has no legal bearing one way or the other. After all, the thief
    > could put "copyright 1989" on the stolen materials.

    Well, he could, but I'm betting the file creation dates would beg to differ!

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss.

    nice.guy.nige, Jan 19, 2004
  14. EYEBUZZ

    "nice.guy.nige" wrote:

    > > This has no legal bearing one way or the other. After all, the thief
    > > could put "copyright 1989" on the stolen materials.

    > Well, he could, but I'm betting the file creation dates would beg to differ!

    Those wouldn't mean much at all. Easy to fake, plus copies would have
    new dates. Merely renaming the file would erase that.

    Brian Rodenborn

    Default User, Jan 20, 2004
  15. EYEBUZZ

    Marc Nadeau Guest

    Paul Furman a écrit:

    >> Ever so easy with SSI.
    >>
    >> http://www.bignosebird.com/sdocs/include.shtml

    > How do I see this when working locally? I'd have to set up an apache
    > server & browse to //localfile or something like that? No way to preview
    > as I edit in an editor like 1stpage?
    >
    > or is there really more to it than just
    >
    > <!--#include file="sample.txt" -->

    What you want to do *has* to be done on the server side.

    To work with SSI or server side languages (aps, php, etc...) you need to
    setup a server anyways.

    apache is free, not so hard to setup for basic functions and will satisfy
    all of your needs.

    'Server side includes' are *very* easy to use.

    ALSO: Do not trust what you see in preview windows of web editors.
    Test your pages in the real world: IE, Mozilla, Opera, lynx, etc...

    Bonne chance!

    --
    HB: Quant à Linux [..] trés bon système d'exploitation, mais difficile
    HB: à implanter en entreprise, pour des raisons non techniques.

    Marc Nadeau, Jan 20, 2004
  16. "EYEBUZZ" <> wrote in message

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm looking beyond HTML (asp, xml, jsp, etc., etc. ???). One thing I'd

    like to
    > do is be able to do is change a part of a web page without having to open

    up
    > all the pages. For a very simple example...at the bottom of each of my

    pages
    > is a copyright notice and so at the end of the year I'd like to change the

    date
    > to the new year....currently, in HTML, I have to open all pages and make

    the
    > change....I'd like to just open one file and make the change (footer.txt

    .... or
    > such)....will ASP or JSP or XML or What help me out?

    I haven't programed in JSP before, but it's easily done in PHP or VBscript
    (ASP). The way I did it in VBScript was to make a "footer.asp" and
    basically, a dynamically created page would look like this:

    <call "header.asp">
    <input dynamic information from database>
    <call "footer.asp"> and then you have a full page with all the menus,
    dynamic content and footer, with less than 20 lines of programing :)

    --
    _______________________________________
    /\ \
    \_| Legalise today |
    | http://www.norml.org |
    | |
    | | |
    | |.| |
    |web: http://www. |.| e-mail: weyoun@|
    |dancingborg |\./| dancingborg|
    |.co.uk |\./| .co.uk|
    |. |\./| .|
    | \^.\ |\\.//| /.^/ |
    | \--.|\ |\\.//| /|.--/ |
    | \--.| \ |\\.//| / |.--/ |
    | \---.|\ |\./| /|.---/ |
    | \--.|\ |\./| /|.--/ |
    | \ .\ |.| /. / |
    | _ -_^_^_^_- \ \\ // / -_^_^_^_- _ |
    | - -/_/_/- ^ ^ | ^ ^ -\_\_\- - |
    | __________________________________|__
    \_/____________________________________/

    Gandalf: Check out my EAGLES!!!
    Aragorn: Where the hell did you get Eagles from?
    Gandalf: A moth.
    Aragorn: Oooohhhh...um...wait...
    Gandalf: Don't think. It makes things easier.

    http://www.dancingborg.co.uk/bush.mp3 - 18k.

    Weyoun the Dancing Bong, Jan 20, 2004
  17. Weyoun the Dancing Bong, Jan 20, 2004
  18. Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> Again, I ask: can this be previewed locally as I code, like with 1stPage
    >> or I'd have to set up a server & browse to that address?

    > It's local. Read the page I linked.

    Ho hum. Repeating myself and using <em> didn't work. Drat.

    Maybe if I use bright yellow highlighting... and blinking text... and stick
    in a mp3 that plays in the background...

    --
    David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>

    David Dorward, Jan 20, 2004
  19. David Dorward, Jan 20, 2004
  20. While the city slept, Default User <>
    feverishly typed:

    > "nice.guy.nige" wrote:
    >
    >>> This has no legal bearing one way or the other. After all, the thief
    >>> could put "copyright 1989" on the stolen materials.

    >> Well, he could, but I'm betting the file creation dates would beg to
    >> differ!

    > Those wouldn't mean much at all. Easy to fake, plus copies would have
    > new dates. Merely renaming the file would erase that.

    It could be the Perfect Crime.... ;-)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --