    --------------------------------------
    See the latest Mars and Saturn images
    http://fatcat.homelinux.org

    jafar, May 3, 2005

  2. jafar

    Noozer Guest

    I know I won't listen to any site that spews music/noise/sound at me when I
    visit.

    Noozer, May 3, 2005

  3. jafar wrote:
    > Hi. I'm trying to put a background sound on my moonlife-records.com site
    > using..
    > <BGSOUND SRC="sound.mp3" LOOP="100">
    >
    > That works fine in IE, but not in other browsers. Is BGSOUND so
    > non-standard? ;)
    > Anyway, I'd like to enable bgsound in other browsers too. Is there a more
    > standard way of doing this so that everybody can listen?
    > Many thanks.

    Why background? Your visitors may not want to listen to your music
    while they browse.. Let them decide when and what they ant to listen to.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, May 3, 2005
  4. jafar wrote:
    > Hi. I'm trying to put a background sound on my moonlife-records.com site
    > using..
    > <BGSOUND SRC="sound.mp3" LOOP="100">
    >
    > That works fine in IE, but not in other browsers. Is BGSOUND so
    > non-standard? ;)
    > Anyway, I'd like to enable bgsound in other browsers too. Is there a more
    > standard way of doing this so that everybody can listen?

    Explanation about background sound.
    http://sbrady.com/hotsource/faqs/alt-html-faq.html#16
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart

    Edwin van der Vaart, May 3, 2005
  5. Travis Newbury wrote:
    > jafar wrote:
    >
    >> Hi. I'm trying to put a background sound on my moonlife-records.com site
    >> using..
    >> <BGSOUND SRC="sound.mp3" LOOP="100">
    >>
    >> That works fine in IE, but not in other browsers. Is BGSOUND so
    >> non-standard? ;)
    >> Anyway, I'd like to enable bgsound in other browsers too. Is there a more
    >> standard way of doing this so that everybody can listen?
    >> Many thanks.

    > Why background? Your visitors may not want to listen to your music
    > while they browse.. Let them decide when and what they ant to listen to.

    With proper <embed> settings, you can turn the background sound off.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart

    Edwin van der Vaart, May 3, 2005
  6. On Tue, 03 May 2005 23:51:07 +0200, Edwin van der Vaart
    <> wrote:

    > Travis Newbury wrote:
    >
    >> jafar wrote:

    [on putting a background sound in his site]

    >> Why background? Your visitors may not want to listen to your music
    >> while they browse.. Let them decide when and what they ant to listen
    >> to.

    > With proper <embed> settings, you can turn the background sound off.

    Missing the point: as a visitor one might *not* want a background sound
    starting all by itself. My speakers for example are usually occupied by
    the music I like best for the moment. I hate it if a website desides they
    know better what music I'm in the mood for.
    So, best is to put it in a page in such a way that the user has to
    activate to be able to listen. Turn it on, that is, if wanted. Not off if
    disliked. Chances are, visitor is long gone before s/he finds the [off]
    button.

    Barbara de Zoete, May 3, 2005
  7. Barbara de Zoete wrote:
    > On Tue, 03 May 2005 23:51:07 +0200, Edwin van der Vaart
    > <> wrote:
    >> Travis Newbury wrote:
    >>> jafar wrote:

    > [on putting a background sound in his site]
    >
    >>> Why background? Your visitors may not want to listen to your music
    >>> while they browse.. Let them decide when and what they ant to
    >>> listen to.

    >> With proper <embed> settings, you can turn the background sound off.

    > Missing the point: as a visitor one might *not* want a background sound
    > starting all by itself. My speakers for example are usually occupied by
    > the music I like best for the moment. I hate it if a website desides
    > they know better what music I'm in the mood for.
    > So, best is to put it in a page in such a way that the user has to
    > activate to be able to listen. Turn it on, that is, if wanted. Not off
    > if disliked. Chances are, visitor is long gone before s/he finds the
    > [off] button.

    Sorry about that. I was a little too enthusiastic with my reply.

    Then the OP have to use the following setting for the <embed>
    <embed src="sounds_of_nature.mp3" autostart="FALSE" hidden="FALSE"
    loop="TRUE">
    <noembed>
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart

    Edwin van der Vaart, May 3, 2005
  8. jafar

    Wings Guest

    Maybe the visitor should be presented with a blank page with a bunch of
    buttons there with lables like, TURN ON GIF HERE, GET TEXT HERE, etc. The
    kneejerk reaction to background sound here strikes me as one of those JUMP
    ON THE BANDWAGON things. I've been to lots of sites where the background
    sound effects were essential, and I think having to turn them on would be
    the annoying thing.

    Wings, May 4, 2005
  9. Wings wrote:
    > Maybe the visitor should be presented with a blank page with a bunch of
    > buttons there with lables like, TURN ON GIF HERE, GET TEXT HERE, etc. The
    > kneejerk reaction to background sound here strikes me as one of those JUMP
    > ON THE BANDWAGON things. I've been to lots of sites where the background
    > sound effects were essential, and I think having to turn them on would be
    > the annoying thing.

    Name one site that the background sound was so essential that it had to
    play on my speakers when I got there.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, May 4, 2005
  10. jafar

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Wed, 04 May 2005 04:33:57 -0400, Travis Newbury
    <> wrote:

    >Name one site that the background sound was so essential that it had to
    >play on my speakers when I got there.

    Gaming and band-specific music sites. It's a tiny proportion of sites,
    but in some rare cases I can see it as justifiable.

    Of course you need the prominent "Turn the sound off" button too.

    Andy Dingley, May 4, 2005
  11. jafar

    Els Guest

    Andy Dingley wrote:

    > On Wed, 04 May 2005 04:33:57 -0400, Travis Newbury
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Name one site that the background sound was so essential that it had to
    >>play on my speakers when I got there.

    > Gaming and band-specific music sites. It's a tiny proportion of sites,
    > but in some rare cases I can see it as justifiable.

    Justifiable maybe, essential no.

    If I visit a band site and there is a button "listen to the sound of
    this band", that's better than being bombarded with it while I'm still
    listening to my own music. You don't know if I am visiting to hear the
    music, or that I may have the music of that band already playing and
    I'm only looking for the tourdates.

    Gaming: sounds are essential. Once I've started the game, not when
    accessing the site.

    > Of course you need the prominent "Turn the sound off" button too.

    I'd prefer a prominent "Turn on the music" button :)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, May 4, 2005
  12. jafar

    jafar Guest

    >>> With proper <embed> settings, you can turn the background sound off.

    Sorry for offending so many people with my bgsound question ;)
    Naturally, having a start/stop button using embed is the logical choice
    once I get it sorted out. I just need to get it working on *most* browsers
    in a standard way first.
    Does nobody have a suggestion or a link to a site that has a tutorial?
    A large part of my website traffic comes from non-microsoft browsers, and
    I would like to include them in new features I add to my site.

    jafar, May 4, 2005
  13. Andy Dingley wrote:
    > On Wed, 04 May 2005 04:33:57 -0400, Travis Newbury
    > >Name one site that the background sound was so essential that it had

    > >play on my speakers when I got there.

    > Gaming and band-specific music sites. It's a tiny proportion of

    sites,
    > but in some rare cases I can see it as justifiable.

    I have no problem with "justifiable" I look at flash the same way.
    Most gaming sites are justified in having an all flash site. But
    justifiable is not essencial. No site NEEDS to have a background
    sound.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, May 4, 2005
  14. Travis Newbury wrote:
    > Andy Dingley wrote:
    >>On Wed, 04 May 2005 04:33:57 -0400, Travis Newbury
    >>
    >>> Name one site that the background sound was so essential that it had to
    >>> play on my speakers when I got there.

    >> Gaming and band-specific music sites. It's a tiny proportion of sites,
    >> but in some rare cases I can see it as justifiable.

    > I have no problem with "justifiable" I look at flash the same way.
    > Most gaming sites are justified in having an all flash site. But
    > justifiable is not essencial. No site NEEDS to have a background
    > sound.

    For some site the background sound gives an other dimension.
    For example a wild life / nationale park sites with a wild life
    background sound.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart

    Edwin van der Vaart, May 4, 2005
  15. jafar

    Els Guest

    Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

    > Travis Newbury wrote:
    >> Andy Dingley wrote:
    >>>On Wed, 04 May 2005 04:33:57 -0400, Travis Newbury

    >>> Gaming and band-specific music sites. It's a tiny proportion of sites,
    >>> but in some rare cases I can see it as justifiable.

    >> I have no problem with "justifiable" I look at flash the same way.
    >> Most gaming sites are justified in having an all flash site. But
    >> justifiable is not essencial. No site NEEDS to have a background
    >> sound.

    > For some site the background sound gives an other dimension.
    > For example a wild life / nationale park sites with a wild life
    > background sound.

    Like the Blijdorp site?
    http://www.diergaardeblijdorp.nl/
    It's funny if you need a quick look, and if you don't have music on.
    Otherwise I'd prefer to not hear it.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, May 4, 2005
  16. Els wrote:
    > Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    >>Travis Newbury wrote:

    >>>I have no problem with "justifiable" I look at flash the same way.
    >>>Most gaming sites are justified in having an all flash site. But
    >>>justifiable is not essencial. No site NEEDS to have a background
    >>>sound.

    >>For some site the background sound gives an other dimension.
    >>For example a wild life / nationale park sites with a wild life
    >>background sound.

    > Like the Blijdorp site?
    > http://www.diergaardeblijdorp.nl/

    I, I, I... ;-(
    > It's funny if you need a quick look, and if you don't have music on.
    > Otherwise I'd prefer to not hear it.

    I can't find any site what I'm looking for. I'll try to put it in words.
    Example.
    You have a page about Arnhem land (Australian). You have capture some
    sounds of birds, the wind, etc.
    That's better then
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart

    Edwin van der Vaart, May 4, 2005
  17. jafar

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Andy Dingley wrote:
    > On Wed, 04 May 2005 04:33:57 -0400, Travis Newbury
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Name one site that the background sound was so essential that it had to
    >>play on my speakers when I got there.

    > Gaming and band-specific music sites. It's a tiny proportion of sites,
    > but in some rare cases I can see it as justifiable.
    >
    > Of course you need the prominent "Turn the sound off" button too.

    I work with bands on sites and I would NEVER have automatic music on one
    of our sites. Our audiences are music lovers, so are very likely to have
    music PLAYING when they visit. It's a mess when you visit a site that
    has music on it when you already have an MP3 plays. Not a turn OFF
    button, but a turn ON button.

    SpaceGirl, May 4, 2005
  18. jafar

    Wings Guest

    "Travis Newbury" <> wrote in message
    > Wings wrote:
    >> Maybe the visitor should be presented with a blank page with a bunch of
    >> buttons there with lables like, TURN ON GIF HERE, GET TEXT HERE, etc. The
    >> kneejerk reaction to background sound here strikes me as one of those
    >> JUMP ON THE BANDWAGON things. I've been to lots of sites where the
    >> background sound effects were essential, and I think having to turn them
    >> on would be the annoying thing.

    > Name one site that the background sound was so essential that it had to
    > play on my speakers when I got there.

    Essential in the sense of emotional impact. I'm sure there is no site with a
    sound that HAS to play on your speakers.

    If sound is so horrible, turn down your volume control while surfing. I
    think everyone has one.

    Wings, May 4, 2005
  19. jafar

    Wings Guest

    There yeah go....

    Wings, May 4, 2005
  20. jafar

    Wings Guest

    Many sites need no color. Many sites need no images. Many sites need no
    minds behind them

    It is, of course, nice that a lot of them do just the same.

    As I learned early in life, over-positive statements are almost invariably
    wrong.

    Wings, May 4, 2005