Big Huge OS Project!!! Need help!!

leon1jung

I have just been approved by SourceForge for my project, Blitz6. It is
an OPEN SOURCE FLASH ALTERNATIVE. I think this is huge. I need help
planning this. I have started a Writeboard. If you are into java
programming, PLEASE e-mail me at <[email protected]>. THANKS!

jmcgill

I have just been approved by SourceForge for my project, Blitz6. It is
an OPEN SOURCE FLASH ALTERNATIVE. I think this is huge. I need help
planning this. I have started a Writeboard. If you are into java
programming, PLEASE e-mail me at <[email protected]>. THANKS!

Flash player only or Flash creation? Flash compatible or merely a
Flash-like system?

leon1jung

mos def alternative. flash-like system, though anyone is welcome to
make a converter module. that would be nice seeing as how much content
is on the web. this will be a complete system. it will contain a Player
and a Creator.

Oliver Wong

[post re-ordered]

mos def alternative. flash-like system, though anyone is welcome to
make a converter module. that would be nice seeing as how much content
is on the web. this will be a complete system. it will contain a Player
and a Creator.

What's done so far?

- Oliver

leon1jung

i have the basic idea. com.cytech.media will be the main package. I'm
modelling this loosely off of the real thing, so Movie will be the base
object. MovieInfo will provide information on the movie such as author,
framerate, interactive, etc. Each movie will contain Layer's. Each
Layer will have a stack of FrameEntries. I still need help with the
planning and am open to all input.

Oliver said:
[post re-ordered]

mos def alternative. flash-like system, though anyone is welcome to
make a converter module. that would be nice seeing as how much content
is on the web. this will be a complete system. it will contain a Player
and a Creator.

What's done so far?

- Oliver

Oliver Wong

[post re-ordered]

i have the basic idea. com.cytech.media will be the main package. I'm
modelling this loosely off of the real thing, so Movie will be the base
object. MovieInfo will provide information on the movie such as author,
framerate, interactive, etc. Each movie will contain Layer's. Each
Layer will have a stack of FrameEntries. I still need help with the
planning and am open to all input.

I recommend you make a website and detail your plan there, and post a
link to it here so people can check out the progress to your site.
SourceForge provides free web hosting for open source projects.

- Oliver

leon1jung

Thanks, mate. I am not good at php, though. Do you know anyone who is?
I'd appreciate it. Thank You!

Oliver said:
[post re-ordered]

i have the basic idea. com.cytech.media will be the main package. I'm
modelling this loosely off of the real thing, so Movie will be the base
object. MovieInfo will provide information on the movie such as author,
framerate, interactive, etc. Each movie will contain Layer's. Each
Layer will have a stack of FrameEntries. I still need help with the
planning and am open to all input.

I recommend you make a website and detail your plan there, and post a
link to it here so people can check out the progress to your site.
SourceForge provides free web hosting for open source projects.

- Oliver

Oliver Wong

[post re-ordered]

Thanks, mate. I am not good at php, though. Do you know anyone who is?
I'd appreciate it. Thank You!

Your site could be plain HTML. All it needs to do is explain your
project, what has been done, and what still needs to be done.

Otherwise, yes, I know some PHP people, but they'll probably want to get
paid for their services.

- Oliver

leon1jung

This may sound weird, but is there any way I could get a hosting
company to run my own proprietary Java server? That would make things
much easier... BTW, to you, what is the best WYSWIG editor?

Thanks!

Oliver said:
[post re-ordered]

Thanks, mate. I am not good at php, though. Do you know anyone who is?
I'd appreciate it. Thank You!

Your site could be plain HTML. All it needs to do is explain your
project, what has been done, and what still needs to be done.

Otherwise, yes, I know some PHP people, but they'll probably want to get
paid for their services.

- Oliver

Timo Stamm

This may sound weird, but is there any way I could get a hosting
company to run my own proprietary Java server?

What do you mean by "Java server"? A computer that runs Java? A java
servlet container or java application server?

You can get a "housing" service. That means that you bring your own
computer with your own software and manage it yourself. The service
provider provides you with internet access, controlled temperature,
constant current supply.

Or you can get a managed server. You rent (or own) a computer and the
provider takes care of the maintenance of the system software. The
software included in the maintenance varies from provider to provider
and is of course a negotiable matter. I am sure you can get a managed
server where even the JRE and the application server are maintained by
the provider.

It is very unlikely, however, that you get support for the application
software from such a provider.

A managed server of decent quality costs about 150€/month here in Germany.

BTW, to you, what is the best WYSWIG editor?

For HTML? I don't think there are any good HTML WYSIWIG editors at all.
They all produce very difficult to maintain HTML. In my experience,
which is a bit dated, the least broken one is Dreamweaver.

Timo

Roedy Green

I have just been approved by SourceForge for my project, Blitz6. It is
an OPEN SOURCE FLASH ALTERNATIVE. I think this is huge. I need help
planning this. I have started a Writeboard. If you are into java
programming, PLEASE e-mail me at <[email protected]>. THANKS!

You mean applets?
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"I mean, source code in files; how quaint, how seventies!"
~ Kent Beck (born: 1961 age: 48), evangelist for extreme programming.