Binary compatibility 5.8.0 -> 5.8.7

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Trond Hasle Amundsen, Jun 8, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I'm having trouble making a perl 5.8.7 which is binary compatible with
    our pre-installed modules for 5.8.0. I've included the libpath for the
    old modules in @INC, so pure perl modules aren't a problem. However,
    with binary modules (that is, they contain C code and have a .so file)
    doesn't work. I get the famous error message:

    Can't load '/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/auto/PDL/Core/Core.so' for module PDL::Core: /local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/auto/PDL/Core/Core.so: undefined symbol: PL_sv_undef at /local/lib/perl5/5.8.7/DynaLoader.pm line 230.
    at (eval 1) line 6
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 1) line 6.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at -e line 1.

    Problem is, the previous perl version is single-threaded and static
    (i.e. is has a libperl.a instead of libperl.so), while I want to
    compile the new version with threading support and with a shared lib.
    I don't know if this is an issue at all, but here you have it.

    Any suggestions? I'm stuck.

    Cheers,

    --
    Trond

    Trond Hasle Amundsen, Jun 8, 2005

  2. Trond Hasle Amundsen

    Sisyphus Guest

    "Trond Hasle Amundsen" <> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm having trouble making a perl 5.8.7 which is binary compatible with
    > our pre-installed modules for 5.8.0.

    [snip]

    > Problem is, the previous perl version is single-threaded and static
    > (i.e. is has a libperl.a instead of libperl.so), while I want to
    > compile the new version with threading support and with a shared lib.
    > I don't know if this is an issue at all, but here you have it.

    Yes - I don't think you can run threaded binaries on a non-threaded perl
    (and vice-versa).

    > Any suggestions? I'm stuck.

    If you want to use those modules with a threaded perl then afaik you'll have
    to rebuild those modules using that perl.

    Cheers,
    Rob

    Sisyphus, Jun 9, 2005