Binary compatibility 5.8.0 -> 5.8.7

Trond Hasle Amundsen

Hi,

I'm having trouble making a perl 5.8.7 which is binary compatible with
our pre-installed modules for 5.8.0. I've included the libpath for the
old modules in @INC, so pure perl modules aren't a problem. However,
with binary modules (that is, they contain C code and have a .so file)
doesn't work. I get the famous error message:

Can't load '/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/auto/PDL/Core/Core.so' for module PDL::Core: /local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/auto/PDL/Core/Core.so: undefined symbol: PL_sv_undef at /local/lib/perl5/5.8.7/DynaLoader.pm line 230.
at (eval 1) line 6
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 1) line 6.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at -e line 1.

Problem is, the previous perl version is single-threaded and static
(i.e. is has a libperl.a instead of libperl.so), while I want to
compile the new version with threading support and with a shared lib.
I don't know if this is an issue at all, but here you have it.

Any suggestions? I'm stuck.

Cheers,

Sisyphus

Trond Hasle Amundsen said:
Hi,

I'm having trouble making a perl 5.8.7 which is binary compatible with
our pre-installed modules for 5.8.0.
[snip]

Problem is, the previous perl version is single-threaded and static
(i.e. is has a libperl.a instead of libperl.so), while I want to
compile the new version with threading support and with a shared lib.
I don't know if this is an issue at all, but here you have it.

Yes - I don't think you can run threaded binaries on a non-threaded perl
(and vice-versa).
Any suggestions? I'm stuck.

If you want to use those modules with a threaded perl then afaik you'll have
to rebuild those modules using that perl.

Cheers,
Rob