Binding Format in Eclipse to a key

Tim Tyler

I want to bind Source->Format in Eclipse 3.1 to a key.

It allows some key bindings to be configured - but not that one.

What's going on there?

Is it possible to rebind the "Format" command at all?

IMO, Ctrl-Shift-F is too much of a handful for this common operation.

I can configure Eclipse to show the key bindings I am interested in -
the issue is that they don't *actually* work when the relevant keys are
pressed.

I've tried binding it to F10. I've tried binding it to Ctrl-K.
Nothing seems to work.

I can bind other operations successfully - but not the Format command.

Any ideas?

Dale King

Tim said:
I want to bind Source->Format in Eclipse 3.1 to a key.

It allows some key bindings to be configured - but not that one.

What's going on there?

Is it possible to rebind the "Format" command at all?

IMO, Ctrl-Shift-F is too much of a handful for this common operation.

I can configure Eclipse to show the key bindings I am interested in -
the issue is that they don't *actually* work when the relevant keys are
pressed.

I've tried binding it to F10. I've tried binding it to Ctrl-K.
Nothing seems to work.

I can bind other operations successfully - but not the Format command.

Any ideas?

It works for me. Go to Windows > Preferences > General > Keys. Then
select the modify tab. For category select source and command select
format. Down in the Key Sequence field you can add new assignments or
delete old ones.

Tim Tyler

Dale King said:
Tim Tyler wrote:

It works for me. Go to Windows > Preferences > General > Keys. Then
select the modify tab. For category select source and command select
format. Down in the Key Sequence field you can add new assignments or
delete old ones.

It sounds like it is just me then :-|

Another oddity is that I have Format: Shift-Ctrl-F in the "View" tab
- but that binding doesn't show up in the "Modify" tab - and
consequently, there's no way to delete it.

I may experiment with temporarily deleting my workspace...