Binding Format in Eclipse to a key

Discussion in 'Java' started by Tim Tyler, Jul 23, 2005.

  1. Tim Tyler

    Tim Tyler Guest

    I want to bind Source->Format in Eclipse 3.1 to a key.

    It allows some key bindings to be configured - but not that one.

    What's going on there?

    Is it possible to rebind the "Format" command at all?

    IMO, Ctrl-Shift-F is too much of a handful for this common operation.

    I can configure Eclipse to show the key bindings I am interested in -
    the issue is that they don't *actually* work when the relevant keys are
    pressed.

    I've tried binding it to F10. I've tried binding it to Ctrl-K.
    Nothing seems to work.

    I can bind other operations successfully - but not the Format command.

    Any ideas?
    --
    __________

    Tim Tyler, Jul 23, 2005

  2. Tim Tyler

    Dale King Guest

    Tim Tyler wrote:
    > I want to bind Source->Format in Eclipse 3.1 to a key.
    >
    > It allows some key bindings to be configured - but not that one.
    >
    > What's going on there?
    >
    > Is it possible to rebind the "Format" command at all?
    >
    > IMO, Ctrl-Shift-F is too much of a handful for this common operation.
    >
    > I can configure Eclipse to show the key bindings I am interested in -
    > the issue is that they don't *actually* work when the relevant keys are
    > pressed.
    >
    > I've tried binding it to F10. I've tried binding it to Ctrl-K.
    > Nothing seems to work.
    >
    > I can bind other operations successfully - but not the Format command.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    It works for me. Go to Windows > Preferences > General > Keys. Then
    select the modify tab. For category select source and command select
    format. Down in the Key Sequence field you can add new assignments or
    delete old ones.

    --
    Dale King

    Dale King, Jul 24, 2005

  3. Tim Tyler

    Tim Tyler Guest

    Dale King <> wrote or quoted:
    > Tim Tyler wrote:

    > > I want to bind Source->Format in Eclipse 3.1 to a key.
    > >
    > > It allows some key bindings to be configured - but not that one.
    > >
    > > What's going on there?
    > >
    > > Is it possible to rebind the "Format" command at all?
    > >
    > > IMO, Ctrl-Shift-F is too much of a handful for this common operation.
    > >
    > > I can configure Eclipse to show the key bindings I am interested in -
    > > the issue is that they don't *actually* work when the relevant keys are
    > > pressed.
    > >
    > > I've tried binding it to F10. I've tried binding it to Ctrl-K.
    > > Nothing seems to work.
    > >
    > > I can bind other operations successfully - but not the Format command.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?

    > It works for me. Go to Windows > Preferences > General > Keys. Then
    > select the modify tab. For category select source and command select
    > format. Down in the Key Sequence field you can add new assignments or
    > delete old ones.

    It sounds like it is just me then :-|

    Another oddity is that I have Format: Shift-Ctrl-F in the "View" tab
    - but that binding doesn't show up in the "Modify" tab - and
    consequently, there's no way to delete it.

    I may experiment with temporarily deleting my workspace...
    --

    Tim Tyler, Jul 24, 2005