Binding XML-RPC data to tables

FunGuySF

I've created an XML-RPC server, and would like to somehow bind the XML
server responses to a table for users to view. Here's the catch, that data
changes frequently (every few seconds), so I'm using setInterval to
periodically get updated XML content from the server.

Currently, the setInterval function requests the entire dataset, then
rewrites the entire table. I'm concerned that it's a waste of bandwidth,
and disrupts the user scrolling through the data whenever it rewrites.
Ideally, I'll have the XML-RPC server generate only data changed since the
last request, then somehow update the table with the changes.

Anyone do anything like this before? Thoughts on how to accomplish it?

Thanks!

BMR

FunGuySF a écrit :
I've created an XML-RPC server, and would like to somehow bind the XML
server responses to a table for users to view. Here's the catch, that data
changes frequently (every few seconds), so I'm using setInterval to
periodically get updated XML content from the server.

Currently, the setInterval function requests the entire dataset, then
rewrites the entire table. I'm concerned that it's a waste of bandwidth,
and disrupts the user scrolling through the data whenever it rewrites.
Ideally, I'll have the XML-RPC server generate only data changed since the
last request, then somehow update the table with the changes.

Anyone do anything like this before? Thoughts on how to accomplish it?

Thanks!

Why not use setInterval along with DOM functions that would just change
necessary cells content in the table ?

BMR

FunGuySF

in message
Why not use setInterval along with DOM functions that would just change
necessary cells content in the table ?

That sounds like a winner... I'm just not sure how to go about it.

I imagine that I'd have to send, for example, some key data to the server,
so it knows what I have, then have it return any changes (adds, removes,
changes).

Then, I'm assuming I can use DOM features to search my own table to see what
should be updated? Where can I find specifics on methods I could use?

Thanks!