    last request, then somehow update the table with the changes.

    Anyone do anything like this before? Thoughts on how to accomplish it?

    Thanks!
    FunGuySF, Jan 13, 2005

  2. FunGuySF

    BMR Guest

    FunGuySF a écrit :
    > I've created an XML-RPC server, and would like to somehow bind the XML
    > server responses to a table for users to view. Here's the catch, that data
    > changes frequently (every few seconds), so I'm using setInterval to
    > periodically get updated XML content from the server.
    >
    > Currently, the setInterval function requests the entire dataset, then
    > rewrites the entire table. I'm concerned that it's a waste of bandwidth,
    > and disrupts the user scrolling through the data whenever it rewrites.
    > Ideally, I'll have the XML-RPC server generate only data changed since the
    > last request, then somehow update the table with the changes.
    >
    > Anyone do anything like this before? Thoughts on how to accomplish it?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Why not use setInterval along with DOM functions that would just change
    necessary cells content in the table ?

    BMR
    BMR, Jan 18, 2005

  3. FunGuySF

    FunGuySF Guest

    "BMR" wrote in message

    > Why not use setInterval along with DOM functions that would just change
    > necessary cells content in the table ?

    That sounds like a winner... I'm just not sure how to go about it.

    I imagine that I'd have to send, for example, some key data to the server,
    so it knows what I have, then have it return any changes (adds, removes,
    changes).

    Then, I'm assuming I can use DOM features to search my own table to see what
    should be updated? Where can I find specifics on methods I could use?

    Thanks!
    FunGuySF, Jan 18, 2005