    "yahoo".

    Thanks,
    Ganchrow
    Ganchrow Harris Peck, Sep 8, 2003

  2. "Ganchrow Harris Peck" <> wrote in message
    > Running ActivePerl 5.8.0 build 806 on Winows2K Server SP4.
    >
    > A particular program I run tries once per day to fork off a process. It's
    > always worked before but has now recently stopped.
    >
    > The syntax of the perl code is:
    > exec($CMD_vb) unless fork;
    >
    > The child process never starts and the parent immediately terminates.
    >
    > The error I get is Bizarre SvTYPE [53] at script.pl line ###.
    >
    > Any idea what could possibly have suddenly caused this to occur?

    Interestingly enough (well interesting to me anyway) this Bizarre SvTYPE
    error does not occur with the command:

    system(1, $CMD);

    which I thought did exactly the same thing as

    exec($CMD) unless fork;

    --
    To e-mail me directly, please change "nospam" in my e-mail address to
    "yahoo".

    Thanks,
    Ganchrow
    Ganchrow Harris Peck, Sep 8, 2003

  3. "Ganchrow Harris Peck" <> wrote in message
    > "Ganchrow Harris Peck" <> wrote in message
    > > Running ActivePerl 5.8.0 build 806 on Winows2K Server SP4.
    > >
    > > A particular program I run tries once per day to fork off a process.

    It's
    > > always worked before but has now recently stopped.
    > >
    > > The syntax of the perl code is:
    > > exec($CMD_vb) unless fork;
    > >
    > > The child process never starts and the parent immediately terminates.
    > >
    > > The error I get is Bizarre SvTYPE [53] at script.pl line ###.
    > >
    > > Any idea what could possibly have suddenly caused this to occur?
    > >

    > Interestingly enough (well interesting to me anyway) this Bizarre SvTYPE
    > error does not occur with the command:
    >
    > system(1, $CMD);
    >
    > which I thought did exactly the same thing as
    >
    > exec($CMD) unless fork;

    OK, how about this:

    sub myfork { fork; }

    When the myfork sub is called as