Blanks or hidden words to fill the space

Discussion in 'HTML' started by John, Aug 29, 2006.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hello all,

    Was wondering how to best tweak something on my webpage.

    If you look at the source code for
    http://www.lakecountycfc.org/news/index.htm, since the left column is so
    long, I had to put the dreaded <p>&nbsp</p> tags in there on the right hand
    column to fill up the space.

    of lorem ipsum text in it equal to the background color?

    I have tried several of the methods that balance the columns, but when I
    throw the outset borders around each div (I like that look), the
    bordered-boxes do not align.

    So there is a bunch of blank lines I need to throw into the code to balance
    things out. What is the best/approved way to fill up space?

    VR/

    John

    John, Aug 29, 2006

  2. John

    Andy Dingley Guest

    John wrote:

    > since the left column is so
    > long, I had to put the dreaded <p>&nbsp</p> tags in there on the right hand
    > column to fill up the space.

    No you didn't. You're starting with a fundamental misunderstanding,
    then asking us for details about how best to implement a basically
    flawed idea.

    Why do you need to add bogus content? What's the problem with one
    column being longer than the other?

    If you mean that you want the columns to always look the same height,
    then there are techniques to do that. One obvious one is to use a
    same height, then you're implicitly calling for table-style rendering
    and you're better off being honest and up-front about it.

    There are also ways to do it purely with CSS, but really I'd want wider
    browser support for max-height before I went down that route. OTOH,
    it's only cosmetic if it isn't supported, so why not?

    Best of all is to use something other than HTML that really does
    support this style of column layout and page flow (XSL:FO can do it
    easily, if you wanted PDF output) -- but these are obviously
    impractical for the Web.

    Putting empty padding in there is _never_ a good idea.

    > of lorem ipsum text in it equal to the background color?

    I don't know. Is it better to bang your head on the wall, or on the
    floor?

    Andy Dingley, Aug 30, 2006

  3. John wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > Was wondering how to best tweak something on my webpage.
    >
    > If you look at the source code for
    > http://www.lakecountycfc.org/news/index.htm, since the left column is so
    > long, I had to put the dreaded <p>&nbsp</p> tags in there on the right hand
    > column to fill up the space.

    > of lorem ipsum text in it equal to the background color?

    Neither. What you're missing is the CSS "clear" property, which causes
    an element to which it applies to drop below any currently outstanding
    floated elements.

    Harlan Messinger, Aug 30, 2006