Bloated webservice

PKSpence

I'm currently involved with a classic ASP project that consumes an in-house
developed webservice written in VB.NET. The webservice is approaching 50K
lines of code with no end in site. Presently, it takes about 30-seconds for
the webservice to load before an interface is displayed. Some of the methods
are specific for a particular module of the app and aren't used anywhere
else w/in the app. My question is... would be a better practice to break up
some of the w/s code into different classes, then load those classes as
they're needed. Currently *all* the code is in one class. What are the
advantages and disadvantages of taking this approach? We're about to
starting two new modules to the webapp and now would be the time to start
employing this methodology if it's advantageous to do so.

Thanks!

Henrik Gøttig

PKSpence said:
No response?
Hi

I will give one :)

One disadvantage I could think (if I have to find one) is that your
client (classic ASP webapp) have to look up two services. Hmm.. no big
deal, but like I said: If I have to find a disadvantage.

Generally it is (at least I think so) considered a good approach to
design your webservices coarsegrained. But the one you seem to be
developing seems VERY coarsegrainged.

Try to model the services around the business domains that your services
access, eg. accounting, inventory, sales, etc, and create a service for
each domain.
You will find yourself in "in-your-head-discussions" of where to put (in
which service) some of the webmethods, but that is only naturally :)
And most important of all. It is the foundation of separation of concerns.

Hope that helps.

Regards
Henrik

PKSpence

Thanks for your input! It sounds like you're suggesting to separate the
business domains into different webservices, not classes w/in the same
webservice. Correct?

Henrik Gøttig

PKSpence said:
Thanks for your input! It sounds like you're suggesting to separate the
business domains into different webservices, not classes w/in the same
webservice. Correct?

Yes, that is exactly what I am suggesting.