    Richard Guest

    C++ Static Analysis
    <http://wp.me/pyVNs-aE>

    Richard, Sep 3, 2009

  2. Richard

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > C++ Static Analysis
    > <http://wp.me/pyVNs-aE>

    Please do not spam newsgroups.

    Daniel Pitts, Sep 3, 2009

  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Daniel Pitts <> spake the secret code
    <> thusly:

    >> [Please do not mail me a copy of your followup]

    Apparently you can't read ^^^^^, since you decided to send me a
    redundant email copy of your newsgroup post.

    Who appointed you usenet god, anyway?

    Richard, Sep 4, 2009
  4. Richard

    Francesco Guest

    On 5 Set, 16:16, Pete Becker <> wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    > > [Please do not mail me a copy of your followup]

    > > Daniel Pitts <> spake the secret code
    > > <> thusly:

    > > Apparently you can't read ^^^^^, since you decided to send me a
    > > redundant email copy of your newsgroup post.

    > > Who appointed you usenet god, anyway?

    > Funny stuff. A spammer complaining about being spammed!

    I agree that the definition of the term "spam" is debated, but since
    we are posting into clc++, we could take Marshall Cline's FAQ as a
    reference.

    The broken link that appears on:
    http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.13

    [ that would be http://www.killfile.org/faqs/spam.html ]

    Could be considered as pointing to:
    http://wiki.killfile.org/projects/usenet/faqs/spam/

    Taking the above link as reference, Richard's post cannot be
    considered spam: that's not EMP and neither it is ECP - the post in
    question is also on topic here, even though being just a bunch of
    lines containing three links.

    Richard's post is fine with me, accusing someone else of posting spam
    without any kind of argumentation is not.

    Francesco

    Francesco, Sep 5, 2009
  5. Richard

    Jonathan Lee Guest

    On Sep 5, 10:16 am, Pete Becker <> wrote:
    > Funny stuff. A spammer complaining about being spammed!

    I'm not sure I would consider him a spammer... It looks like he puts
    effort into his articles. With that in mind, it surprises me that he
    doesn't take a minute to put more in his newsgroup post. "Don't reply
    to me" and "Here's a link" is hardly going to earn him a readership.
    Then there was the "Code Smells" thing he posted last month... even
    when we _did_ read it and respond he was pretty much like "Go ****
    yourself".

    --Jonathan

    Jonathan Lee, Sep 5, 2009
  6. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Pete Becker <> spake the secret code
    <> thusly:

    >Funny stuff. A spammer complaining about being spammed!

    I wrote a blog article on tools for C++ static analysis.

    I posted the link here as its on-topic. I read this newsgroup and pay
    attention if someone comments on what I post here, so its not a
    drive-by link dumping.

    Under what crazy logic do you equivocate that with spam?

    Richard, Sep 5, 2009
  7. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Jonathan Lee <> spake the secret code
    <> thusly:

    >On Sep 5, 10:16 am, Pete Becker <> wrote:
    >> Funny stuff. A spammer complaining about being spammed!

    >I'm not sure I would consider him a spammer...

    If I'm a "spammer", then you are all spammers every one of you.

    People seem to think "spam" is "any post I feel like complaining about
    for any damned reason".

    >It looks like he puts
    >effort into his articles. With that in mind, it surprises me that he
    >doesn't take a minute to put more in his newsgroup post.

    So it was terse. Whoop-dee-doo. Was it not self-evident that it was
    a link to blog post about static analysis tools for C++?

    >"Don't reply
    >to me"

    As was demonstrated last time, you'll reply here even if I ask you to
    comment on the blog, so why bother.

    >and "Here's a link" is hardly going to earn him a readership.

    You can read it if you want. If you don't, that's fine by me.
    If you do, maybe you'll learn something.

    >Then there was the "Code Smells" thing he posted last month... even
    >when we _did_ read it and respond he was pretty much like "Go ****
    >yourself".

    Not true at all, although its nice and friendly of you to try and
    characterize my responses to your comments that way.

    Richard, Sep 5, 2009
  8. Richard

    Jonathan Lee Guest

    On Sep 5, 12:52 pm, (Richard) wrote:
    > People seem to think "spam" is "any post I feel like complaining about
    > for any damned reason".

    No... I actually don't mind your little complaints. What people
    consider
    spam is a single post that discourages discussion. It's arguable that
    the whole point of a newsgroup is to _discuss_ things. It is, at
    least,
    common in clc++.

    > So it was terse.  Whoop-dee-doo.

    Be terse all you want. But it works against the purpose of
    your post.

    > You can read it if you want.  If you don't, that's fine by me.
    > If you do, maybe you'll learn something.

    Maybe I will. And maybe _other_ people would if they didn't dismiss
    your posts as spam.

    > Not true at all, although its nice and friendly of you to try and
    > characterize my responses to your comments that way.

    That's my opinion. If any one else wants to judge your character
    for themselves, they can Google for "Richard code smells" and
    follow the thread in this newsgroup.

    Also, I'm not interested in being your friend. Plonk me if you
    feel like it.

    On the other hand, friend or not, my basic points have been:

    1) You take time to write quality posts (translation: I
    appreciate your effort).
    2) More people would read your posts and benefit from them if
    you took a different approach to clc++.

    i.e., constructive criticism. You can take it as constructive,
    or criticism. Your choice.

    --Jonathan

    Jonathan Lee, Sep 5, 2009
  9. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Jonathan Lee <> spake the secret code
    <> thusly:

    >i.e., constructive criticism. You can take it as constructive,
    >or criticism. Your choice.

    Its not constructive criticism when you characterize me as telling
    people to "go **** yourself" when I said nothing of the sort. That's
    just an insult disguised as attempting to take the high ground.

    Richard, Sep 5, 2009
  10. Daniel Pitts wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >> [Please do not mail me a copy of your followup]
    >>
    >> C++ Static Analysis
    >> <http://wp.me/pyVNs-aE>
    >>

    > Please do not spam newsgroups.

    If he is a spammer, then anybody who posts a link to www.parashift.com
    is also a spammer.

    Juha Nieminen, Sep 6, 2009
  11. Richard

    Francesco Guest

    On 6 Set, 16:02, Juha Nieminen <> wrote:
    > Daniel Pitts wrote:
    > > Richard wrote:
    > >> [Please do not mail me a copy of your followup]

    > >> C++ Static Analysis
    > >> <http://wp.me/pyVNs-aE>

    > > Please do not spam newsgroups.

    >   If he is a spammer, then anybody who posts a link to www.parashift.com