Book for ASP.NET

Fie Fie Niles

I have been using Visual Basic 6 and ASP (Visual Interdev 6) for a few
years. I would like to learn VB.NET and ASP.NET.
If I study Visual Studio.NET, will it cover both ASP.NET and VB.NET ?
Based on your experience, what is a good book to study from ? Any of the 21
days series book that are good ?
Thanks.

Curt_C [MVP]

"Designing Microsoft ASP.NET Applications" (MS Press) is decent for getting
the basics. It's got samples in C# and VB.Net when needed. Beyond that get
yourself one of the VB.NET "Language Reference" books. I do C# so I can't
recommend a specific VB.Net one but the language reference ones SHOULD be
similar in content.

S. Justin Gengo

There are a lot of good books out there, but I started with the tutorials on
www.gotdotnet.com I would highly suggest checking them out. They got me off
to a quick start back when visual studio was in beta.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche

Marty U.

Lenn said:
ASP.NET Unleashed is the best book I ever came accross.

:
I would agree that ASP.Net Unleashed is an excellent book. However, it
does not use VS.Net so if you are wanting to learn the ropes of code
behind then this book is really not good for that. This book does show
an excellent representation of the asp.net server controls and concepts.
I have it and currently learned everything I know about ASP.Net.
Furthermore, I am a career web developer by day so this book really does
well in teaching th asp/vbscript folks. I am currently studying C# and
the VS IDE so I can be more competitive in the market. Visual Studio
does fit more into the OO programming world and makes things somewhat
easier. The biggest key is know the language, understand the framework,
then chose your tool.

Marty U.

Jose Luis Manners

I agree with the other folks: ASP.NET Unleashed is #1

Regards,

Jose Luis Manners, MCP

himanshu tripathi

Unleashed is good as a Beginner book... but keep in mind it won't be much
use once you've kick started ...

Fie Fie Niles

Thank you.
Is it easy for one with a few years VB experience to learn C# ? And, what
book do you use to study for C# and VS IDE?

And, some people on the VB forum said that it is better to study C# than VB
Net, because they do not think that VB.NET will exist in the future and C#
has a significantly better chance of surviving. Did you know anything about
this?

Thanks.

Marty U.

I would not say that it is easy for one to learn C#, especially if you
have been a VB programmer for some time. However, learning C# is just
like any other language, it's no harder to learn it is just harder to
learn once you know something else. It kinda goes along with teach an
old dog new tricks. It is hard to convince yourself to learn something
new to accomplish the same task.

For books, there are so many but my plans are to learn C#, become MCAD
certified. I am currently waiting on Jesse Liberty's Programming C# and
I just looked at new book that's out called "Beginning C# objects: From
Concept to Code--ISBN--159059360X. This really looks like a good book to
learn the OO structure, which you will see is very important going from
VB 6 to .Net.

I definitely don't think that MS is going to drop VB.Net. Whidbey has
many enhancements planned to make VB coding easier than anything you
could imagine. Heck, VB put MS on the developers map in my opinion. C#
is new that's why it is getting more attention.

My reason for learning C# is it relates to Java closely and that is
another language that I would like to learn in the future.

Study and learn what is more comfortable to you. You will find there are
plenty of VB.Net jobs out there. The most important thing in my opinion
is to learn the Framework and for VB programmers the OO programming style.

Marty U.
'

Fie Fie Niles

Thanks, Marty.