book on C

Lurker

Chris Hills said:
look on http://www.accu.org for book reviews.

The accu is independent and doesn't sell books.

Avoid Schildt at all costs.

Programming C by K&R and also Modern C Programming by King are good starter
books.
C Traps and Pitfalls is also a good book once you have got started.

Sometimes when I'm looking up something on google I add CBFalconer and/or
Chris Torek to the search and usually end up with some good insights (there
are a lot of other good posters but these two stand out).

Now if these two could write a book on C it would most likely be very good
if not the best book on C.

Lurker.

CBFalconer

Lurker said:
.... snip ...

Sometimes when I'm looking up something on google I add CBFalconer
and/or Chris Torek to the search and usually end up with some good
insights (there are a lot of other good posters but these two
stand out).

Now if these two could write a book on C it would most likely be
very good if not the best book on C.

Thanks, but speaking only for myself, I have found that I am not a
very good teacher. I can usually discuss things with fairly
knowledgeable people, but I have great problems starting anybody
from scratch. Things have been second nature for so long that I
totally miss seeing the students difficulty.

I have great respect for those who really can teach. They do not
have to know their subject inside out to do this, although such a
failing will limit the levels at which they can teach.

Keith Thompson

Lurker said:
Avoid Schildt at all costs.

Programming C by K&R and also Modern C Programming by King are good starter
books.

K&R's book is called The C Programming Language.

Lurker

CBFalconer said:
.... snip ...

Thanks, but speaking only for myself, I have found that I am not a
very good teacher. I can usually discuss things with fairly
knowledgeable people, but I have great problems starting anybody
from scratch. Things have been second nature for so long that I
totally miss seeing the students difficulty.

I have great respect for those who really can teach. They do not
have to know their subject inside out to do this, although such a
failing will limit the levels at which they can teach.
In the context of mentioning you and Chris, I was actually thinking of an
advanced book and not a beginners book.
I understand you view on teaching, even though it can to me as a surprise.

Cheers,
Lurker