Books and/or Tutorials

Karch

Hello Fellow Ruby Users!

I recently picked up Ruby and am absolutely loving it.

At any rate, I have run through most of the short guides on
ruby-lang.org, and am looking for something more substantive about the
language. I am aware that the majority of books on Ruby are mediocre
at best.

I was wondering if y'all might know of any gems worth reading and purchasing.

In Christ,
Karch

Josh Cheek

Hello Fellow Ruby Users!

I recently picked up Ruby and am absolutely loving it.

At any rate, I have run through most of the short guides on
ruby-lang.org, and am looking for something more substantive about the
language. I am aware that the majority of books on Ruby are mediocre
at best.

I was wondering if y'all might know of any gems worth reading and
purchasing.

In Christ,
Karch
Hi, Karch, glad you're enjoying Ruby!

I have one I made to teach my friends Ruby (they used to be keen on Python
:p). If you're familiar with programming, it will probably be fine for you.
If not, it might be a bit much.

https://github.com/JoshCheek/JoshsRubyKickstart

You can get it with git, or there is a download link. It comes with some
challenges that have unit tests to make sure you did them correctly, and
also includes solutions to all the problems, if you get pissed off at the
problem.

If you know how to, you're also welcome to fork it, and help me restructure
it. Someone learning something for the first time has a different
perspective than someone like me, who takes certain realizations for
granted.

And if you would like specific aid, or more thorough explanations for
something in there, you are welcome to ask :)

Mike Stephens

I've got about 10 books on Ruby. I collect them like fake R0lexes.

I like them all, like you would if you had 10 children.

A must-have is The Ruby Programming Language by Flanagan and Matsumoto.

Sergio Fernandes

I've got about 10 books on Ruby. I collect them like fake R0lexes.

I like them all, like you would if you had 10 children.

A must-have is The Ruby Programming Language by Flanagan and Matsumoto.
rsrs lol...give me a link ;]

Brian Candler

Karch wrote in post #975724:
I was wondering if y'all might know of any gems worth reading and
purchasing.

http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/

That's the first edition and is free. It was written for ruby 1.6, but
will stand you in good stead for ruby 1.8.

The 2nd edition (for ruby 1.8) and 3rd edition (for ruby 1.9) are
available as printed books or pay-for PDFs.