    I was wondering if y'all might know of any gems worth reading and purchasing.

    In Christ,
    Karch
    Karch, Jan 18, 2011

  2. Karch

    Josh Cheek Guest

    On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 9:14 AM, Karch <> wrote:

    > Hello Fellow Ruby Users!
    >
    > I recently picked up Ruby and am absolutely loving it.
    >
    > At any rate, I have run through most of the short guides on
    > ruby-lang.org, and am looking for something more substantive about the
    > language. I am aware that the majority of books on Ruby are mediocre
    > at best.
    >
    > I was wondering if y'all might know of any gems worth reading and
    > purchasing.
    >
    > In Christ,
    > Karch

    Hi, Karch, glad you're enjoying Ruby!

    I have one I made to teach my friends Ruby (they used to be keen on Python
    :p). If you're familiar with programming, it will probably be fine for you.
    If not, it might be a bit much.

    https://github.com/JoshCheek/JoshsRubyKickstart

    You can get it with git, or there is a download link. It comes with some
    challenges that have unit tests to make sure you did them correctly, and
    also includes solutions to all the problems, if you get pissed off at the
    problem.

    If you know how to, you're also welcome to fork it, and help me restructure
    it. Someone learning something for the first time has a different
    perspective than someone like me, who takes certain realizations for
    granted.

    And if you would like specific aid, or more thorough explanations for
    something in there, you are welcome to ask :)
    Josh Cheek, Jan 18, 2011

  3. I've got about 10 books on Ruby. I collect them like fake R0lexes.

    I like them all, like you would if you had 10 children.

    A must-have is The Ruby Programming Language by Flanagan and Matsumoto.

    Mike Stephens, Jan 18, 2011
  4. On 18-01-2011 15:08, Mike Stephens wrote:
    > I've got about 10 books on Ruby. I collect them like fake R0lexes.
    >
    > I like them all, like you would if you had 10 children.
    >
    > A must-have is The Ruby Programming Language by Flanagan and Matsumoto.

    rsrs lol...give me a link ;]
    Sergio Fernandes, Jan 18, 2011
  5. Karch wrote in post #975724:
    > I was wondering if y'all might know of any gems worth reading and
    > purchasing.

    http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/

    That's the first edition and is free. It was written for ruby 1.6, but
    will stand you in good stead for ruby 1.8.

    The 2nd edition (for ruby 1.8) and 3rd edition (for ruby 1.9) are
    available as printed books or pay-for PDFs.

    Brian Candler, Jan 18, 2011
  6. Karch

    Stu Guest

    Look at the Well Grounded Rubyist