Books?

Anonymous Group

What books do you recomend for learning python? Preferably free and/or
online.

Anonymous Group

Agreed. And for anything beyond that, I would recommend the anonymous
OP offer some more information, such as current programming skill
level and languages known.

But the tutorial is a good start regardless.

ChrisA

Thanks

Michael Poeltl

I would recommend "Dive into Python3"

just goole-search
"dive into python3" filetype:pdf

and you got it!

regards
Michael

Mark Lawrence

What books do you recomend for learning python? Preferably free and/or
online.

Search for the Alan Gauld tutorial. I've never used it myself, but OTOH
I've never heard anybody complain about it!!!

As someone else has already mentioned it, I'd highly recommend Dive Into
Python

Jamie Paul Griffin

[ Mark Lawrence wrote on Wed 22.Aug'12 at 8:43:58 +0100 ]
Search for the Alan Gauld tutorial. I've never used it myself, but OTOH
I've never heard anybody complain about it!!!

As someone else has already mentioned it, I'd highly recommend Dive Into
Python

I bought "Beginning Python - Using Python 2.6 and 3.1" by James Payne, published by Wrox www.wrox.com. I've found it quite good so far, it's pretty comprehensive.

Steven D'Aprano

What books do you recomend for learning python? Preferably free and/or
online.

Completely by coincidence, I have just discovered, and I mean *literally*
just a few minutes ago, this book:

http://www.springer.com/mathematics/computational+science+&+engineering/book/978-3-642-30292-3

http://codingcat.com/knjige/python/A Primer on Scientific Programming with Python.pdf

I wish it had existed when I was a beginner! I haven't read the whole
thing, but dammit it looks like exactly the sort of book I would have
adored as a newbie. (Your mileage may vary.)

Virgil Stokes

Completely by coincidence, I have just discovered, and I mean *literally*
just a few minutes ago, this book:

http://www.springer.com/mathematics/computational+science+&+engineering/book/978-3-642-30292-3

http://codingcat.com/knjige/python/A Primer on Scientific Programming with Python.pdf

I wish it had existed when I was a beginner! I haven't read the whole
thing, but dammit it looks like exactly the sort of book I would have
adored as a newbie. (Your mileage may vary.)
I second this --- this is a very good book IMHO. I have the first edition (2009)
and have found it very useful.

Good tip!

Jamie Paul Griffin

[ Virgil Stokes wrote on Wed 22.Aug'12 at 16:34:40 +0200 ]
I second this --- this is a very good book IMHO. I have the first edition (2009)
and have found it very useful.

Good tip!

absolutely. I've been reading it most of last night, certainly a great learning resource.

Madison May

I would definitely take a look at Think Python by Allen Downey if you have minimal prior experience with computer programming. It's succinct yet thorough.