border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;

Discussion in 'HTML' started by =?UTF-8?B?TWFydGluIFDDtnBwaW5n?=, Jul 17, 2006.

  1. Hello,

    I´ve defined a div tag like this:

    div#news{
    top: 100px;
    width: 144px;
    border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;
    left: 602px;
    height: 100%;
    }

    The border ist defined with:

    border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;

    But Firefox does not show any borders, IE does.

    What do I do wrong?

    Bye,
    Martin
    =?UTF-8?B?TWFydGluIFDDtnBwaW5n?=, Jul 17, 2006

  2. While the city slept, Martin Pöpping () feverishly
    typed...

    > Hello,

    Howdy!

    [...]
    > border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;
    >
    > But Firefox does not show any borders, IE does.

    Curious, I copied your code and made a test page with it and neither of them
    displayed a border...

    I did swap your "border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;" for a possibly
    more succint "border: solid 2px #003366;" though, which did result in a
    border in IE and Firefox.

    Hope that helps,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss http://www.nigenet.org.uk
    Mail address will bounce. | Take the DOG. out!
    nice.guy.nige, Jul 17, 2006

  3. =?UTF-8?B?TWFydGluIFDDtnBwaW5n?=

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Martin Pöpping* wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I´ve defined a div tag like this:
    >
    > div#news{
    > top: 100px;
    > width: 144px;
    > border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;
    > left: 602px;
    > height: 100%;
    > }
    >

    > The border ist defined with:
    >
    > border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;
    >
    > But Firefox does not show any borders, IE does.
    >
    > What do I do wrong?

    Let me guess, you have an error somewhere in the code (html or css).
    Since you don't supply an url to the site, I can't tell where the
    error is. But you you could start with validating the pages.

    Validate HTML with http://validator.w3.org/
    And CSS with http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

    --
    /Arne

    Arne, Jul 17, 2006
  4. =?UTF-8?B?TWFydGluIFDDtnBwaW5n?=

    tonnie Guest

    Martin Pöpping schreef:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I´ve defined a div tag like this:
    >
    > div#news{
    > top: 100px;
    > width: 144px;
    > border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;
    > left: 602px;
    > height: 100%;
    > }
    >

    > The border ist defined with:
    >
    > border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;
    >
    > But Firefox does not show any borders, IE does.
    >
    > What do I do wrong?

    Perhapse it will if you use:

    border: 2px solid #003366;

    --
    Website Design: http://vision2form.nl/websitedesign/
    Being found: http://vision2form.nl/websitedesign/being-found.html
    tonnie, Jul 17, 2006
  5. =?UTF-8?B?TWFydGluIFDDtnBwaW5n?=

    Rik Guest

    Martin Pöpping wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I´ve defined a div tag like this:
    >
    > div#news{
    > top: 100px;
    > width: 144px;
    > border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;
    > left: 602px;
    > height: 100%;
    > }
    >

    > The border ist defined with:
    >
    > border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;
    >
    > But Firefox does not show any borders, IE does.
    >
    > What do I do wrong?

    No border-stye. either add border-style: solid; (or dashes, dotted, groove
    etc..), or use a shorthand:
    border: 2px solid #003366;

    Grtz,
    --
    Rik Wasmus
    Rik, Jul 17, 2006
  6. Le Mon, 17 Jul 2006 22:15:06 +0200, Martin Pöpping a écrit :

    > Hello,
    >
    > I?ve defined a div tag like this:
    >
    > div#news{
    > top: 100px;
    > width: 144px;
    > border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;
    > left: 602px;
    > height: 100%;
    > }
    >

    > But Firefox does not show any borders, IE does.
    >
    > What do I do wrong?

    You are missing the style of the border. E.g. solid, outset, inset,
    ridge, groove.

    > Bye,
    > Martin

    HTH,
    Mike
    --
    http://massonnet.org/ Mike Massonnet (mmassonnet) ,-.
    , ( {o\
    Mike Massonnet, Jul 17, 2006
  7. =?UTF-8?B?TWFydGluIFDDtnBwaW5n?=

    Rik Guest

    > Martin Pöpping wrote:
    >> border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;

    Damn, 5 usable (and duplicate) answers in 3 minutes, must be some kind of
    record :)

    Grtz,
    --
    Rik Wasmus
    Rik, Jul 17, 2006
  8. =?UTF-8?B?TWFydGluIFDDtnBwaW5n?=

    mbstevens Guest

    On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 22:27:39 +0200, Rik wrote:

    > border: 2px solid #003366;

    ....or,

    border: 2px solid #036;
    mbstevens, Jul 17, 2006
  9. =?UTF-8?B?TWFydGluIFDDtnBwaW5n?=

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Rik* wrote:
    >> Martin Pöpping wrote:
    >>> border-color: #003366; border-width: 2px;

    > Damn, 5 usable (and duplicate) answers in 3 minutes, must be some kind of
    > record :)

    Guess it's an easy taks to solve. :)
    I just wanted to learn the OP to use the validators and find out the
    error by him self ;)

    --
    /Arne

    Arne, Jul 17, 2006
  10. Wowww! Thanks a lot to all for your help!

    What a great newsgroup ;)

    So maybe you could help me with my second curious IE problem.

    I´m defining tags like this:

    div#header {

    position: fixed;
    top: 0px;
    left: 188px;
    width: 410px;

    height: 99px;

    background-image: url(../img/blank.jpg);
    background-repeat: repeat;
    }

    div#footer {
    bottom: 0px;
    left: 188px;
    width: 410px;

    height: 50px;

    background-image: url(../img/blank.jpg);
    background-repeat: repeat;
    }

    div#right{
    top: 100px;
    left: 750px;
    width: 100%;

    }

    div#menu {

    top: 100px;
    left: 0px;
    width: 183px;
    height: 600px;
    border-right-width: 4px; border-left-style: none;
    }

    div#impressum{

    left: 0px;
    bottom:1px;
    }

    div#news{
    top: 100px;
    width: 144px;
    border: solid 2px #003366;
    left: 602px;
    height: 500;
    }

    table#content{

    width: 405px;
    border-right-width: 4px; border-left-style: none;
    height: 100%;
    text-align: justify;
    }

    With a fixed position to the screen:

    @media screen{
    body>div#header, div#menu, div#right, div#footer, div#border,
    div#impressum, div#news{
    position:fixed;
    }

    All tags i used with:

    Firefox displays it side by side as i want it:

    ======================= header =============

    menu || content || news || right ||

    ======================= footer =============

    But IE displays it among each other:

    header
    ------
    menu
    ------
    content
    ------
    news
    ------
    right
    -----
    footer

    Bye,
    Martin
    =?UTF-8?B?TWFydGluIFDDtnBwaW5n?=, Jul 17, 2006
  11. Arne schrieb:

    >> Damn, 5 usable (and duplicate) answers in 3 minutes, must be some kind of
    >> record :)

    > Guess it's an easy taks to solve. :)
    > I just wanted to learn the OP to use the validators and find out the
    > error by him self ;)

    Thanks. The HTML-Files i always generate with UltraEdit, but because of
    I am not very close to the CSS syntax, I let Adobe GoLive CS 2.0
    generating the CSS code for me. Seems to me that GL has to learn like me :)

    Bye,
    Martin
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Martin_P=F6pping?=, Jul 17, 2006
  12. =?UTF-8?B?TWFydGluIFDDtnBwaW5n?=

    Y J Landro Guest

    Martin Pöpping <> skreiv Mon, 17 Jul 2006 23:26:47
    +0200

    > Wowww! Thanks a lot to all for your help!
    >
    > What a great newsgroup ;)
    >

    > So maybe you could help me with my second curious IE problem.

    Please make a new thread when changing subject.

    <snipping stuff about IE failing to honour position:fixed>

    IE won't recognise position:fixed AFAIK. Opera, FF and other modern
    browsers do.

    There are several hacks available to work around the problem. Google and
    you'll find. Or do as I do, ignore IE ...

    :) Y J Landro
    Y J Landro, Jul 17, 2006
  13. While the city slept, Y J Landro () feverishly typed...

    [...]
    > Or do as I do, ignore IE ...

    What a great idea!

    Similar to the record shop I used to work in. We used to ignore 9 out of
    every 10 customers who came in the shop, because we knew that the 10th
    customer had great taste in music and would buy a really good quality
    album[1]. Needless to say, the record shop is now closed... ;-)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    [1] needless to say, I actually made that up. I was using it as a simile.
    Obviously, we dealt with every customer equally, regardless of how shit
    their taste in music was. We just bitched about them afterwards! ;-) It's
    true about the shop being closed though :-(

    nice.guy.nige, Jul 18, 2006
  14. =?UTF-8?B?TWFydGluIFDDtnBwaW5n?=

    Y J Landro Guest

    nice.guy.nige <> skreiv Tue, 18 Jul 2006 01:47:57
    +0200

    > While the city slept, Y J Landro () feverishly typed...
    >
    > [...]
    >> Or do as I do, ignore IE ...

    > What a great idea!
    >
    > Similar to the record shop I used to work in. We used to ignore 9 out of
    > every 10 customers who came in the shop, because we knew that the 10th

    <snip>

    The discussion was about "position:fixed" and how IE dealt with it. If I
    am not too mistaken, IE will treat position:fixed as position:absolute. I
    can live with that.

    In general, of course one cannot ignore the fact that the majority uses
    IE. And if IE renders a page totally messed-up, one has to deal with it.

    - Y J Landro
    Y J Landro, Jul 18, 2006
  15. =?UTF-8?B?TWFydGluIFDDtnBwaW5n?=

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, "nice.guy.nige"
    <> vouchsafed:

    >> Or do as I do, ignore IE ...

    > What a great idea!
    >
    > Similar to the record shop I used to work in. We used to ignore 9 out of
    > every 10 customers who came in the shop, because we knew that the 10th
    > customer had great taste in music and would buy a really good quality
    > album[1]. Needless to say, the record shop is now closed... ;-)
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nige
    >
    > [1] needless to say, I actually made that up.

    Never would've guessed...

    > I was using it as a simile.

    Oh.

    > Obviously, we dealt with every customer equally, regardless of how shit
    > their taste in music was. We just bitched about them afterwards! ;-) It's
    > true about the shop being closed though :-(

    They probably didn't appreciate the similes.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity has its limits.
    Neredbojias, Jul 18, 2006
  16. In article <op.tcu126m1k9qmtn@latitude>,
    "Y J Landro" <> wrote:
    > The discussion was about "position:fixed" and how IE dealt with it. If I
    > am not too mistaken, IE will treat position:fixed as position:absolute. I
    > can live with that.

    ISTR that IE doesn't just treat position:fixed as position:absolute but
    instead mishandles it rather badly. What's working for me is to add this
    to my HTML:

    <!--[if lt IE 7]>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="ie.css">
    <![endif]-->

    And then in ie.css I add rules to override position:fixed with this:
    position: absolute ! important;

    See my sig for a live example.

    I think I've read that IE7 supports position:fixed but I have not tested
    it myself.

    Cheers

    --
    Philip
    http://NikitaTheSpider.com/
    Nikita the Spider, Jul 18, 2006
  17. While the city slept, Nikita the Spider ()
    feverishly typed...

    [...]

    > I think I've read that IE7 supports position:fixed but I have not
    > tested it myself.

    That would be you *and* Microsoft then I'm guessing! ;-)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    nice.guy.nige, Jul 18, 2006
  18. =?UTF-8?B?TWFydGluIFDDtnBwaW5n?=

    Andy Mabbett Guest

    In message <44bc21a3$0$17955$>,
    nice.guy.nige <> writes

    >Similar to the record shop I used to work in. We used to ignore 9 out
    >of every 10 customers who came in the shop, because we knew that the
    >10th customer had great taste in music and would buy a really good
    >quality album[1]. Needless to say, the record shop is now closed... ;-)

    >[1] needless to say, I actually made that up. I was using it as a
    >simile.

    No you weren't; you were suing it as a metaphor.
    --
    Andy Mabbett
    Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards: <http://www.no2id.net/>

    Free Our Data: <http://www.freeourdata.org.uk>
    Andy Mabbett, Jul 21, 2006
  19. =?UTF-8?B?TWFydGluIFDDtnBwaW5n?=

    mbstevens Guest

    On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 07:53:33 +0100, Andy Mabbett wrote:

    >>[1] needless to say, I actually made that up. I was using it as a
    >>simile.

    > No you weren't; you were suing it as a metaphor.

    Does suing as a metaphor require an imaginary lawyer, or can
    you just take it to the small claims court in Oz?
    mbstevens, Jul 21, 2006
  20. =?UTF-8?B?TWFydGluIFDDtnBwaW5n?=

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    mbstevens <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 07:53:33 +0100, Andy Mabbett wrote:
    >
    > >>[1] needless to say, I actually made that up. I was using it as a
    > >>simile.

    > > No you weren't; you were suing it as a metaphor.

    > Does suing as a metaphor require an imaginary lawyer, or can
    > you just take it to the small claims court in Oz?

    As it so happens, there is just such a court down under here. Its
    lists are chocker block covering cases to do with the use of the
    apostrophe, similes and metaphors, the confusion between irony
    and sarcasm, and so on are piled up behind... I have appeared
    before it myself. I got off with a plea of being Alien.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 21, 2006