    Any starting ideas or links to resources that may help me...
    Thanks
    Clint

    Clint MacDonald, May 1, 2005

  2. Clint MacDonald

    Guest Guest

    Generate an image, and print that...

    Guest, May 1, 2005

  3. Yes, but how do you print the image without the IE borders/page 1 or 1 and
    the URL footer?
    I guess I am asking how to print from ASP.NET with controlled output.
    From my research it is important to note that the printer is on the server
    or LAN shared and mapped to the server
    I looked at CSS print, but only controlled content, not the print itself.

    Clint MacDonald, May 2, 2005
  4. Clint MacDonald

    Guest

    If you are planning to print from the browser, you will need to control
    print borders, headers and footers directly from the browser. For
    Internet Explorer, Netscape Navigator and (I think) Mozilla, go to
    File, Page Setup on the main menu and you will see options specifically
    for these and other print settings.

    I have found HTML opened from the browser to not be very good for
    precise printing. Instead, it may pay to generate the labels in
    another application and open it from the browser. For example, you
    could use Office Web Components (OWC) to generate an Excel spreadsheet
    which is formatted precisely for your labels. The spreadsheet can then
    be opened in Excel from a link you provide in the browser.

    Another approach that I have taken is to generate a comma-delimited
    text file from the web application and store it on the server. The
    user is then directed to open a MS Word document which is set up for a
    mail merge. When the user opens the document, he/she is prompted to
    enter a username. From that point, code in the document sets the mail
    merge source to the appropriate csv file previously created on the
    server. The advantage of this method is that the users (who were all
    very experienced in doing MS Word mail merges) can individually change
    the formatting to suit their needs. The disadvantage is that the
    method is a bit clumsy because it required a few extra steps. Also, MS
    Office security must be adjusted on each workstation to allow macros to
    run. It does, however, produce perfect mailing label prints.

    Bill E.

    , May 2, 2005