    Mel Guest

    how can i find out the OS the browser is running on ?

    thanks
    Mel, Feb 11, 2005

  2. Mel

    Oli Filth Guest

    Mel wrote:
    > how can i find out the OS the browser is running on ?

    This was discussed on this newsgroup about a week ago. Search for "OS".

    --
    Oli
    Oli Filth, Feb 11, 2005

  3. Mel

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Mel" <> wrote:

    >how can i find out the OS the browser is running on ?

    Your browser? You should know already.

    Your user's browser? It's often in the User Agent string and hence in
    your log files, but even if it is there then it may not be accurate.

    Why do you want to know?

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Feb 11, 2005
  4. Mel

    Uncle Pirate Guest

    Mel wrote:

    > how can i find out the OS the browser is running on ?
    >
    > thanks

    Wild guess? The information is in the environment but useless because
    it can be changed to whatever the user wants.

    And why care? HTML is not OS specific.

    Coordinator, Tularosa Basin Chapter, ABATE of NM; AMA#758681; COBB
    '94 1500 Vulcan (now wrecked) :( http://motorcyclefun.org/Dcp_2068c.jpg
    Uncle Pirate, Feb 12, 2005
  5. Mel

    Richard Guest

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:23:59 -0500 Mel wrote:

    > how can i find out the OS the browser is running on ?

    > thanks

    With a PHP command.
    Richard, Feb 12, 2005
  6. Mel

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Richard scribbled in the mud:

    > On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:23:59 -0500 Mel wrote:
    >
    >> how can i find out the OS the browser is running on ?

    >> thanks

    > With a PHP command.

    Could you show an example of that on your batcave site?

    --
    D?
    Duende, Feb 12, 2005
  7. Mel

    rf Guest

    "Duende" <> wrote
    > While sitting in a puddle Richard scribbled in the mud:

    > > With a PHP command.

    > Could you show an example of that on your batcave site?

    That's nasty. You know how hard it is to steal PHP code!
    rf, Feb 12, 2005
  8. Mel

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle rf scribbled in the mud:

    > "Duende" <> wrote
    >> While sitting in a puddle Richard scribbled in the mud:

    >> > With a PHP command.

    >> Could you show an example of that on your batcave site?

    > That's nasty. You know how hard it is to steal PHP code!

    Richard is a smart gentleman. He doesn't need to steal the code. He knows all
    about php and how to make it work for him.

    --
    D?
    Duende, Feb 12, 2005
  9. Mel

    rf Guest

    "Duende" <> wrote
    > While sitting in a puddle rf scribbled in the mud:
    >
    > > "Duende" <> wrote
    > >> While sitting in a puddle Richard scribbled in the mud:

    > >> Could you show an example of that on your batcave site?

    > > That's nasty. You know how hard it is to steal PHP code!

    > Richard is a smart gentleman. He doesn't need to steal the code. He knows

    all
    > about php and how to make it work for him.

    Ah, yes, well then when he publishes his solution we will undoubtedly
    correct his intentional mistake and tell us that to get the OS one would
    parse the superglobal variable entry

    $_SERVER["HTTP_USER_AGENT"]

    rather than use some so called PHP "command" which PHP has none of IRRC
    unless RtS is confusing command with function.
    rf, Feb 12, 2005
  10. rf wrote:
    > PHP has none of IRRC unless RtS is confusing command with function.

    Well, print (and a few others) are syntax instead of functions in PHP.
    You could call them commands, I guess.
    Leif K-Brooks, Feb 12, 2005
  11. Mel

    rf Guest

    "Leif K-Brooks" <> wrote
    > rf wrote:

    > > PHP has none of IRRC unless RtS is confusing command with function.

    > Well, print (and a few others) are syntax instead of functions in PHP.
    > You could call them commands, I guess.

    Go over to the PHP manual and look up "print".

    To quote:

    <quote>
    Print() is not acually a real function (it is a language construct) ...
    </quote>

    PHP does not have "commands". It has language constructs and functions, just
    like C[++] and family, from which it is loosely derived.

    Basic (IIRC from the many years ago that I last used it) uses the term
    command.

    Since basic is not an extensible language like C or PHP it has a number of
    constructs and many many "commands". The collection of commands is fixed.

    C[++] (and PHP) has only a few constructs. That's it. The rest of the
    "language" is functions, constructed from these language constructs.

    This is particularly evident with C[++]. Omit the function extensions (that
    is omit including any .h files and libraries) and you have quite a small
    number if primatives, namely things like +, -, ++ etc. To do any real work
    one *requires* the function libraries. In particular C++ does not, in its
    native form, have any means of interacting with the user (eg, a UI). It does
    not have a "print" construct. "Printing" must be done with library
    functions and at the bottom line these are written in assembly language
    (targeted to the appropriate processor), not C[++].

    PHP is more generous. It includes extended language constructs such as
    print. They are not, however, commands.

    </pedant> :)
    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Feb 12, 2005
  12. Mel

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle rf scribbled in the mud:

    >> > That's nasty. You know how hard it is to steal PHP code!

    >> Richard is a smart gentleman. He doesn't need to steal the code. He knows

    > all about php and how to make it work for him.

    I bet you couldn't have said that with a stright face.

    Duende, Feb 12, 2005