botched debian install

Du De

I botched my ruby install to the point where I don't know how to fix it.
I used several different guides to get it installed, but I read
differeing opinions on how to do it in Debian and uninstalled,
reinstalled several times.

I've tried to purge ruby completely, but each time I try to do apt-get
install ruby etc., I can't run any ruby, irb or anything--I just get a
"libruby1.8.so.1.8" no such file error.

I would greatly appreciate help.

Robert Klemme

2008/4/15 said:
I botched my ruby install to the point where I don't know how to fix it.
I used several different guides to get it installed, but I read
differeing opinions on how to do it in Debian and uninstalled,
reinstalled several times.

I've tried to purge ruby completely, but each time I try to do apt-get
install ruby etc., I can't run any ruby, irb or anything--I just get a
"libruby1.8.so.1.8" no such file error.

Did you try to run "ruby18" or "ruby1.8" - last time I had a debian
(quite a while ago) the standard ruby was 1.7 and 1.8 needed the
version number.

Obviously we do not know what you did to your installation, so it's
difficult to suggest something. Last time for me just doing the normal
apt-get install worked like a charm. Maybe you should flush ruby
packages from your local cache and start over.

Cheers

robert

Du De

I still want to solve this--I just switched over to a different server.

No, clearing the local cache and starting over didn't work. I knew I
completely botched this install--I had tried reinstalling several times
anyway.

Doing apt-get remove --purge ruby ruby1.8 and then doing apt-get clean
didn't work. When I reinstall ruby, it still gives me the "libruby no
such file" error. How can I start from scratch?