Bristol, UK, Harbourside website, Comments please ?

Stuart Millington

Really... and if you think of the site as an advert, what then?

Then the client for whom the advertising agency made the
inaccessible advert has instantly lost 10% of their potential sales.
For larger companies, this will not be a small amount. A better
advertising agency, with a better constructed advert, could have
gotten their client those extra sales.
Tell me, can you bookmark commercials on TV?

My 1980's VCR (A Ferguson (sp?) Videostar, a VHS machine that was
popular in UK schools at the time) had the ability to set bookmarks
(indexes) at any point(s) on the tape via the remote, during
recording. Strangely, very few VCR's I've seen since have had this
ability. However, burning TV programmes to DVD would allow me to set
chapters to "bookmark" any section of the video ;)

Gerry White - use my name at dergal dot come for e

TechnoHippie said:
It's fine for a flash brochure site. So I have to wait for every page
to load ... same with html and php. What, in particular, is your gripe
with the site? It's accessible and not overly slow.

See, I think it is a good site generally, the target market for this in
Bristol (which is where I work) is actually very tight, they will (both) be
working in 40k+ per annum job, with a PC and a broadband connection, mainly
either consultants or similair. This is the target market, if they don't
have it at work they will have it at home. Yacht? WTF is the significance of
that s....

Problems in my opinion with the site is that it doesn't follow the golden
rule, inverted pyramid etc... and the ONE issue I have with the site, the
text size is too small for many MANY users, particularly in the chosen
demography...

All this anti flash, IT IS AN ADVERTISING site, it has to look glossy, I
would have used a little more HTML and done an alternative version or
something, better pics and a little bit "more" but hey...

Usability and Flash ?
Flash has its uses - and frankly there are many, but usability is an issue
and you do have to take this into account, I do feel that this site should
have used plain vanilla html WITH flash, rather than just flash... It could
have been just as good, got good ratings in Google and well,
bookmarkable... but frankly a site that small doesn't need
bookmarkability...

SpaceGirl

Eric Jarvis said:
you still in the southern hemisphere, Jim?...because right now in sarf
Lunnon there's no way of relaxing about clothing unless you stay under the
duvet whilst using the computer

erm...well yes...doesn't everyone have computer access from their bed
these days?

--
eric
www.ericjarvis.co.uk

Yep :) My trusty laptop follows me wherever I go, often for a last minute
edit or to finish something up from bed... sad huh?

Eric Jarvis

SpaceGirl said:
Yep :) My trusty laptop follows me wherever I go, often for a last minute
edit or to finish something up from bed... sad huh?

not for me to say...especially since I not only have the desktop set up so
that I can easily use it from the bed (or the desk, or the sofa), but I
also recently spent two weeks in hospital with a lap top by the bed

I think I have some pens in the house...somewhere...can't remember the
last time I used one

Mark Parnell

I wasn't obliged to take the TV service, which was convenient because I
don't have a TV!

Neither did we until we were given one. Then that died and we were given
another. Must be a conspiracy.

Spooky - second conspiracy for the thread!

brucie

in post: <
Ours too. Just ask brucie how effective it has been so far. ;-)

as of about 2 weeks ago 33.6k non DoV ISDN[1] is now available in my
area which is over twice as fast as dialup (10.4k) and it only costs
about 10 times more. YAY!

i'm currently seeking volunteers with a shovel to help me dig a 2.3km
trench for the cable.

[1] no thats not a typo. the line can only handle 33.6k.

Bill Logan

brucie said:
in post: < orderly queue.
Ours too. Just ask brucie how effective it has been so
far. ;-)

as of about 2 weeks ago 33.6k non DoV ISDN[1] is now available in my
area which is over twice as fast as dialup (10.4k) and it only costs
about 10 times more. YAY!

i'm currently seeking volunteers with a shovel to help me dig a 2.3km
trench for the cable.

Last time I helped a mate dig a ditch it gave me a heart
attack - whats your offer?
(if it involves tiewire or rubber - forget it!)

Leonard Blaisdell

brucie said:
in post: <
Ours too. Just ask brucie how effective it has been so far. ;-)

as of about 2 weeks ago 33.6k non DoV ISDN[1] is now available in my
area which is over twice as fast as dialup (10.4k) and it only costs
about 10 times more. YAY!

i'm currently seeking volunteers with a shovel to help me dig a 2.3km
trench for the cable.

Not a problem! Send me a round-trip ticket. I'll stay near the mailbox so
as to be out of your way. When I was young, I could dig up to ten meters
of 300 centimeter deep trench in a day in loam. I figure I could handle
three meters now.
Now, I'm deathly afraid of common brown snakes, taipans, salties,
kangaroos, wallabies, koalas, red dirt, drought and gum trees. I do know
"Waltzing Matilda" by heart. Will Qantas allow me a shovel as a carry-on?

leo

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Leonard Blaisdell scribbled in the mud:
Now, I'm deathly afraid of common brown snakes, taipans, salties,
kangaroos, wallabies, koalas, red dirt, drought and gum trees. I do know
"Waltzing Matilda" by heart. Will Qantas allow me a shovel as a carry-on?

leo

I'd be more afraid of duct tape & gum boots in that neighborhood.

brucie

Not a problem! Send me a round-trip ticket.

its not going to happen. the min cost per month is $380 just to be
connected, it gets much worse if you actually want to use the service.
I'll stay near the mailbox so as to be out of your way.

a green frog lives in the mailbox although he seems to have a time share
arrangement with a tree snake.
When I was young, I could dig up to ten meters of 300 centimeter deep
trench in a day in loam. I figure I could handle three meters now.

the trench needs to me a minimum of 1.5m deep x .5m wide and pass the
phone company inspection. the friendly phone company would do it for
only $11.5k
Now, I'm deathly afraid of common brown snakes, taipans,

hardly see them here but bandi bandis are common (and harmless)

not far enough north
kangaroos,

hardly ever see them
wallabies,

gazillions of the buggers. 50k trip into town will give you at least 3
roadkills which is good as it saves you going to the butcher. bullbars
are a must.

died of starvation in the late 1800's when the area was logged.
red dirt,

i've got mostly sand as the area was a prehistoric sea.

i have a bore, 3 dams and a 9 megaliter/quarter water allocation i can
suck out of a pipeline that feeds a powerstation near me.
and gum trees.

i don't have any near by.
I do know "Waltzing Matilda" by heart.

don't mention that to anyone.
Will Qantas allow me a shovel as a carry-on?

no problems. its things like nail clippers terrorists can use to
commandeer the aircraft they get upset about.

Richard Watson

In uk.net.web.authoring on 17 Apr 2004 04:49:44 GMT, Eric Bohlman
<[email protected]> wrote:
}so a page that's got 100 images (spacers, sliced images, images
}of text, etc.) is going to be slow to load regardless of how fast a
}connection the user has.
Total rubbish; the speed of loading of any site is almost directly
proportional to the available bandwidth, up to the point where there is
some other limiting factor.

If it takes 35ms to travel from client to server and back (the mean time
from my home to google.com) and the client sends two requests at a time
(which is what they seem to do) then it's going to take an extra (50*35ms
) 1750ms to return a page that required 102 hits rather than one that
required 2. That's before any bandwidth considerations apply.

{R}

In uk.net.web.authoring on Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:54:39 -0000, Richard
}
}> Total rubbish; the speed of loading of any site is almost directly
}> proportional to the available bandwidth, up to the point where there is
}> some other limiting factor.
}
}If it takes 35ms to travel from client to server and back (the mean time
} from my home to google.com) and the client sends two requests at a time
}(which is what they seem to do) then it's going to take an extra (50*35ms
}) 1750ms to return a page that required 102 hits rather than one that
}required 2. That's before any bandwidth considerations apply.

Yes. So?

You are talking about hits, I am talking about bandwidth, if your client
sent it's requests in a bunch then bandwidth is the determining factor
not request-response RTT.

{R}

Victoria Clare

What else does œ1 buy ...
o 5 cigarettes
o 1/3 pint beer
o 1 liter petrol
o 1/2lb butter
o 1 loaf bread
o 1 tin cola
o 10 minutes parking (central London)
o Sunday newspaper

o a day of parking in Callington. Possibly longer.
o a pasty
o 5 small oranges (19p each - 5p left!)
o rabbit food for several weeks
o cat food for 1.5 days
o a bag of carrots, mmm, healthy.
o a pot of olives and feta cheese in oil with garlic, Mmmmmmmmm, smelly.
o a mackerel. (Why *are* they so cheap?)
o Your own height in strawberry licorice.
o 50, count them, *50* envelopes for 85p. 15p left not quite enough for
a stamp, drat.
o a second hand book from the right sort of charity shop, or a new book
seriously remaindered.
o 2 bags of seeds from the Secret Seeds 50p sale, hurray!

o save up for 3 days and get one of those weird radio pen things,
(£2.50) a packet of Quavers (30p) and an orange. 1p left for the
charity pot.
o Save up for a week and buy a mouse that is also a telephone (6.99)!

A world of spending opportunities. How can anyone who owns a mouse that
is also a telephone, a mackerel, a bag of oranges, their own height in
strawberry licorice, AND a book be poor?

Particularly if they have a car, even if it is parked in Callington. ;-)

Victoria