bsddb support for berkeley db 4.3?

janeaustine50

It doesn't seem like the python 2.4(and the recent 2.4.1) support
berkeley db 4.3. (4.3 fixes some deadlock bugs I occasionally encounter
using 4.2.)

bsddb3(at pybsddb.sf.net) already supports 4.3 since last December(but
doesn't explicitly support win32 -- see the assert statement in
setup.py). I thought the bsddb3 project were merged into the python
project. Hasn't it?

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

It doesn't seem like the python 2.4(and the recent 2.4.1) support
berkeley db 4.3.

What makes you say that? It builds fine for me.
bsddb3(at pybsddb.sf.net) already supports 4.3 since last December(but
doesn't explicitly support win32 -- see the assert statement in
setup.py). I thought the bsddb3 project were merged into the python
project. Hasn't it?

It certainly has. However, the authors of bsddb3 are free to release
new versions of their software whenever they wish to, independent of
any Python releases. They are encouraged to merge their changes into the
Python CVS, but they are requested to avoid adding new features to
Python 2.4.

Regards,
Martin

Andrew MacIntyre

It doesn't seem like the python 2.4(and the recent 2.4.1) support
berkeley db 4.3. (4.3 fixes some deadlock bugs I occasionally encounter
using 4.2.)

bsddb3(at pybsddb.sf.net) already supports 4.3 since last December(but
doesn't explicitly support win32 -- see the assert statement in
setup.py). I thought the bsddb3 project were merged into the python
project. Hasn't it?

Yes it has, but which version of BSD DB gets used when the release team
builds the Win32 installer depends on the version installed on the
installer builder's machine.

If you can, I'd suggest posting a bug report on SF against 2.4 to see
whether you can encourage the installer builder to upgrade BSD DB -
though do be certain to check what's in 2.4.1c1 first.

janeaustine50

Martin said:
What makes you say that? It builds fine for me.

Oh, it doesn't work with 2.4(I tried this one) but with 2.4.1
seemingly.

In the setup.py from 2.4 there is a line with:
'db4': {'libs': ('db-4.2', 'db42', 'db-4.1', 'db41',
'db-4.0', 'db4',),

But in 2.4.1 the setup.py from pybsddb project has been merged:
for x in (0,1,2,3):
db_inc_paths.append('/usr/include/db4%d' % x)

It certainly has. However, the authors of bsddb3 are free to release
new versions of their software whenever they wish to, independent of
any Python releases. They are encouraged to merge their changes into the
Python CVS, but they are requested to avoid adding new features to
Python 2.4.

Regards,
Martin

Thank you.

?

Andrew said:
If you can, I'd suggest posting a bug report on SF against 2.4 to see
whether you can encourage the installer builder to upgrade BSD DB -
though do be certain to check what's in 2.4.1c1 first.

It's 4.2.52, and I don't think I'm going to use anything else for 2.4.1.
In fact, I don't think I can update to 4.3 in the entire 2.4.x release
cycle. 4.3 adds a few new features, and new features are not acceptable
in 2.4.x. Also, 4.3 changes the format of the log file.

I should apply all the patches for 4.2.52, but I'm only lacking Patch 3,
and this applies to Java only, so it should be irrelevant.

Of course, if 4.3 would fix a serious bug that affects Python users,
it might be necessary to reconsider. From the huge change list of bug
fixes in 4.3, I cannot tell which of these fixes affect Python users.

Regards,
Martin