Building a project, stupid question

easy

Hello

i have this really nagging, annoying question about asp.net...

if i work on a project, do i really have to build the whole project
everytime when the sourcecode changed? isn't asp.net supposed to compile
pages on the fly?

what if i don't want to install dotnet and everything (like sql server) on
my client but rather just edit the code and then upload the sources to the
host. just like in php. i would really appreciate if someone could explain
me how i can develop asp.net pages with minimal dev-client installation,
using a webhost (in my case boundgrid) to do the build/compile stuff.

thanks in advance

beat

Roy

Let's say you have index.aspx and index.aspx.vb which you created in
VS.

To recreate that page w/o VS, you'd change the "codebehind=" tags at
the top of the aspx file to "src=" and that's about it. Your pages will
compile on the fly with a src tag. You can precompile independent
pages, but the boost in speed seems worthless.

Guest

Hi, only the code inside an ASPX page is compiled on the fly. You need to
build a DLL if you use codebehind. If you dont change the code behind then
you dont need to rebuild, you can just run the page and it will be recompiled.

Try placing an aspx file containing this on your server

<%@ Page Language="C#" Debug="true"%>

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML//EN">
<HTML>
<% string output = "hi!"; %>
<%= output %>

then just run the page in your browser, assuming I havent goofed it will do
what you expect, then change the message, and run again...

Jim

easy

Thanks a lot Roy and Jim for your fast answers. I think you're two comments
got me going again.
I just tried it and it seems to work as desired! It's a lot clearer now -
for the moment :)

Thanks and have a good day
Beat