building extension modules under 2.4 / cygwin

Discussion in 'Python' started by John Hunter, Dec 13, 2004.

  1. John Hunter

    John Hunter Guest

    For the first time, I am trying to compile a matplotlib installer for
    win32 / python2.4 under cygwin. I tested this earlier with one of the
    pre-release candidates and had no troubles. But when I compile with
    python2.4, I get the following error when I try and import my
    extension code

    the procedure entry point _ctype could not be located in the dynamic
    link libary msvcr71.dll

    This DLL resides in C:\Windows\System32 on my system

    If I edit the distutils/cygwincompiler.py file and remove the line
    that add this lib

    elif msc_ver == '1310':
    # MSVC 7.1
    #self.dll_libraries = ['msvcr71']
    self.dll_libraries = []

    My code compiles, links and runs fine, at least in initial tests

    Any reason I shouldn't be doing this?

    JDH
    John Hunter, Dec 13, 2004

  2. John Hunter wrote:
    > the procedure entry point _ctype could not be located in the dynamic
    > link libary msvcr71.dll

    This sounds like a bug in the Cygwin linker or header files to me.
    I cannot fully check, but it seems to me that msvcr71.dll does not
    have a _ctype variable. Instead, the is* functions (which may have
    traditionally used _ctype - can't check that, either) are now
    implemented through function calls. Can you (e.g. using nm) find
    out where the reference to _ctype originates from?

    If you remove usage of _ctype in your extension module (e.g. by not
    using isupper() and the like), it probably will work fine.

    Regards,
    Martin
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Dec 13, 2004