Button the only legal PostBack control?

John Smith

As it is now apparently illegal in the UK to produce a website which
is inaccessible to the disabled, which includes the
JavaScript-disabled and images-disabled, am I right in thinking that
the only ASP.NET postback capable control which is now of any use is
the Button control? The LinkButton is clearly no good as it uses
JavaScript and the ImageButton doesn't work in Mozilla with scripting
and images turned off. Am I missing something or does every PostBack
have to be performed by a button in order to meet accessibility
standards? The designers are going to have kittens...

J.S.

David Jessee

If those are you limitations , then yes.
I hope you can find the kittens a good home.

David Jessee

Doh! I'm brain Dead.
The Image Button will also work since its an implementation of the <input
type=image> element present in the HTML 4.0 Spec

gg.20.johnsmith2005

No, you're not brain dead, I wish you were, so to speak. I'd thought
the ImageButton was the tool for the job, I was very much relying on
it, but if you try an ImageButton in Firefox or Netscape with the
images and javascript turned off you will see that it doesn't work. So,
given that it is a legal requirement that sites should work under such
conditions, where are all the ASP.NET sites full of submit buttons?

George

I think if you turn off Validation (property tab) in Image button then it becomes
<input type="image"> in ASPX.NET

If Validation is on then you will have a problem with Javascript-disabled browsers.

George.

No, you're not brain dead, I wish you were, so to speak. I'd thought
the ImageButton was the tool for the job, I was very much relying on
it, but if you try an ImageButton in Firefox or Netscape with the
images and javascript turned off you will see that it doesn't work. So,
given that it is a legal requirement that sites should work under such
conditions, where are all the ASP.NET sites full of submit buttons?

bruce barker

while the asp:imagebutton has trouble with netscape, you can use the html
version, set a value, and it will work in all browsers (do your own
dispatch)

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

| No, you're not brain dead, I wish you were, so to speak. I'd thought
| the ImageButton was the tool for the job, I was very much relying on
| it, but if you try an ImageButton in Firefox or Netscape with the
| images and javascript turned off you will see that it doesn't work. So,
| given that it is a legal requirement that sites should work under such
| conditions, where are all the ASP.NET sites full of submit buttons?
|
| David Jessee wrote:
| > Doh! I'm brain Dead.
| > The Image Button will also work since its an implementation of the
| <input
| > type=image> element present in the HTML 4.0 Spec

| > > I hope you can find the kittens a good home.

| which
| that
| is
| scripting
| PostBack

John Smith

The problem with the ImageButton in Mozilla with images and Javascript
disabled is that the Click event isn't fired, but your suggested
HtmlInputImage alternative doesn't have a Click event at all!

By setting a value attribute (which you can do for an ImageButton in
the .aspx without resorting to a HtmlInputImage) you can look for the
value in the Request.Form and act accordingly. Is that what you mean by
'do your own dispatch'?

This seems rather painful work-around mind, and a pretty major flaw in
ASP.NET. Does anyone know if it's due to be fixed?

J.S.