    I am not sure the best way of doing this, maybe something with JS.
    Thanks in advance for any help!

    Kevin Neberman
    Neebski, Jun 24, 2009

  2. Neebski wrote:
    > Hey there,
    >
    > I have a pretty basic splash page on my site but I wanted to forward
    > directly to the home page if there is a returning user to the site.
    >
    > I am not sure the best way of doing this, maybe something with JS.
    > Thanks in advance for any help!

    Simple, remove the splash page. Honestly, people do not really want to
    see your splash page no matter how pretty, they come to we what you
    have, i.e., your content.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 24, 2009

  3. Neebski

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 23 Jun 2009, Neebski <> wrote:

    > Hey there,
    >
    > I have a pretty basic splash page on my site but I wanted to forward
    > directly to the home page if there is a returning user to the site.
    >
    > I am not sure the best way of doing this, maybe something with JS.
    > Thanks in advance for any help!

    Depends on how long. If I come back to the page in 2011, am I a
    "returning visitor"? Anyway, 2 possibilities are Sessions and a
    database of users/visitors. Cookies could work for those who have
    cookies enabled, too.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    Neredbojias, Jun 24, 2009
  4. Neebski

    Neebski Guest

    On Jun 23, 6:14 pm, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    > On 23 Jun 2009, Neebski <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hey there,

    > > I have a pretty basic splash page on my site but I wanted to forward
    > > directly to the home page if there is a returning user to the site.

    > > I am not sure the best way of doing this, maybe something with JS.
    > > Thanks in advance for any help!

    > Depends on how long.  If I come back to the page in 2011, am I a
    > "returning visitor"?  Anyway, 2 possibilities are Sessions and a
    > database of users/visitors.  Cookies could work for those who have
    > cookies enabled, too.
    >
    > --
    > Neredbojiashttp://www.neredbojias.org/http://www.neredbojias.net/

    I would like to go the cookie route simply because I would like to
    keep it easy. I figured a 90 day forward would work best. For the site
    we are working with we don't need it much longer than that. Thanks
    John but for what we are doing we need this page even if it is only
    once.

    Thanks for the help Neredbojias, would you recommend any scrips?
    Neebski, Jun 24, 2009
  5. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Neebski <>
    writing in news:6d41efd7-942d-4620-a7ac-
    :

    > On Jun 23, 6:14 pm, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >> On 23 Jun 2009, Neebski <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hey there,

    >> > I have a pretty basic splash page on my site but I wanted to forward
    >> > directly to the home page if there is a returning user to the site.

    >> > I am not sure the best way of doing this, maybe something with JS.
    >> > Thanks in advance for any help!

    >> Depends on how long.  If I come back to the page in 2011, am I a
    >> "returning visitor"?  Anyway, 2 possibilities are Sessions and a
    >> database of users/visitors.  Cookies could work for those who have
    >> cookies enabled, too.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Neredbojiashttp://www.neredbojias.org/http://www.neredbojias.net/

    > I would like to go the cookie route simply because I would like to
    > keep it easy. I figured a 90 day forward would work best. For the site
    > we are working with we don't need it much longer than that. Thanks
    > John but for what we are doing we need this page even if it is only
    > once.
    >
    > Thanks for the help Neredbojias, would you recommend any scrips?

    If you're going to use cookies, I would suggest doing it server side, and
    not client side. Why? Users without javascript enabled will not get the
    javascript cookie.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Jun 24, 2009
  6. Neebski

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 23 Jun 2009, Neebski <> wrote:

    > On Jun 23, 6:14 pm, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >> On 23 Jun 2009, Neebski <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hey there,

    >> > I have a pretty basic splash page on my site but I wanted to
    >> > forward directly to the home page if there is a returning user to
    >> > the site.

    >> > I am not sure the best way of doing this, maybe something with JS.
    >> > Thanks in advance for any help!

    >> Depends on how long.  If I come back to the page in 2011, am I a
    >> "returning visitor"?  Anyway, 2 possibilities are Sessions and a
    >> database of users/visitors.  Cookies could work for those who have
    >> cookies enabled, too.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Neredbojiashttp://www.neredbojias.org/http://www.neredbojias.net/

    > I would like to go the cookie route simply because I would like to
    > keep it easy. I figured a 90 day forward would work best. For the
    > site we are working with we don't need it much longer than that.
    > Thanks John but for what we are doing we need this page even if it is
    > only once.
    >
    > Thanks for the help Neredbojias, would you recommend any scrips?

    Sorry, I can't because I don't use any I don't make myself and I
    haven't dabbled with cookies in eons. But you're right; a 90-day
    "remeberance" would probably be best served by cookies and if the
    jamoke has them disabled, so he gets the splash screen - big deal.
    Best 'o luck; maybe Googling for "cookie scripts" would benefit.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    Neredbojias, Jun 24, 2009
  7. On 24 Jun., 03:14, Neredbojias <> wrote:

    > Depends on how long.  If I come back to the page in 2011, am I a
    > "returning visitor"?  Anyway, 2 possibilities are Sessions and a
    > database of users/visitors.  Cookies could work for those who have
    > cookies enabled, too.

    Yes, I think also that this might not be the best entertainment.
    What about a check box where the visitor can freely decide on his own
    if the splash page is truncated the next time or not?
    Jan C. Faerber, Jun 24, 2009
  8. Neebski

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 24 Jun 2009, "Jan C. Faerber" <> wrote:

    > On 24 Jun., 03:14, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >
    >> Depends on how long.  If I come back to the page in 2011, am I a
    >> "returning visitor"?  Anyway, 2 possibilities are Sessions and a
    >> database of users/visitors.  Cookies could work for those who have
    >> cookies enabled, too.

    > Yes, I think also that this might not be the best entertainment.
    > What about a check box where the visitor can freely decide on his own
    > if the splash page is truncated the next time or not?

    I'm a big fan of providing user options on a page. However, the input
    of such a check box would also have to be "recorded" to prevent users
    from dealing with the option every visit and unless the splash page
    serves some real purpose, I don't think too many people will want to
    see it repeatedly.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/