ByteCode vs MachineCode reverse enginering

Arne Vajhøj

Lew said:
That site leaves out IBM's and Oracle's, to name two.

True.

But their Java compiler are not interesting either. It is their
JVM's that are different.

For all I know they may even use SUN code for the compiler
(I believe SUN sells commercial licenses for the code).

Arne

Mike Schilling

Arne said:
True.

But their Java compiler are not interesting either. It is their
JVM's that are different.

For all I know they may even use SUN code for the compiler
(I believe SUN sells commercial licenses for the code)

I don't know why they wouldn't license the Sun compiler; as you point
out, there are no interesting improvements to be made in it..(In the
generation of instructions, anyway. Writing, say,
compile-time-generated hints to their JIT to the constant pool might
be valuable. (Adding compiler-specific attributes is specifically
allowed by
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jvms/second_edition/html/ClassFile.doc.html#16733,
in case anyone was wondering)).

Lars Enderin

Arne Vajhøj

Mike said:
I don't know why they wouldn't license the Sun compiler; as you point
out, there are no interesting improvements to be made in it..(In the
generation of instructions, anyway. Writing, say,
compile-time-generated hints to their JIT to the constant pool might
be valuable. (Adding compiler-specific attributes is specifically
allowed by
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jvms/second_edition/html/ClassFile.doc.html#16733,
in case anyone was wondering)).

Considering how commonly used it is to develope and build with SUN Java
and deploy on WAS or WL with other JVM's, then I don't think even that
would be something they would do.

Arne

Mark Thornton

Skybuck said:
Hello,

It seems like ByteCode is more easily reversed engineered than MachineCode ?

While it is easier to decompile, I think the implications of this are
quite modest. There two main reasons for not wanting your code decompiled:

1. To prevent bypassing of software protection schemes.
2. To protect valuable algorithms.

In the first case machine code seems to be little impediment. I suspect
that breaking the protection is usually achieved while decoding only a
very small percentage of the complete application.

In the second case, most new algorithms now would be quite large and
difficult to comprehend in the absence of comments and other internal
documentation. If the essence of the algorithm is sufficiently compact
and valuable then machine code will again prove little impediment to the
escape of the secret.

If your secret is really important, then the question of byte code vs
machine code is of little relevance to its protection.

Mark Thornton