C++0x [[annotations]]

Sektor van Skijlen

Is there any official proposal for annotations in C++0x?

So far annotations have been "implicitly" used in many proposals as some
(usually) free-form text enclosed in [[ ]] (for example, n2493, n2509, n1943 -
not used in later updates). Is there any consistent proposal for the general
mechanism of annotations?

Sektor van Skijlen

Dnia Wed, 5 Mar 2008 21:43:50 -0500, Pete Becker skrobie:
On 2008-03-05 18:54:55 -0500, Sektor van Skijlen
<[email protected]> said:
Is there any official proposal for annotations in C++0x?

So far annotations have been "implicitly" used in many proposals as some
(usually) free-form text enclosed in [[ ]] (for example, n2493, n2509, n1943 -
not used in later updates). Is there any consistent proposal for the general
mechanism of annotations?

Ah, yes, overlooked. Tx.

Alf P. Steinbach

On 2008-03-05 18:54:55 -0500, Sektor van Skijlen
<[email protected]> said:
Is there any official proposal for annotations in C++0x?

So far annotations have been "implicitly" used in many proposals as some
(usually) free-form text enclosed in [[ ]] (for example, n2493, n2509, n1943 -
not used in later updates). Is there any consistent proposal for the general
mechanism of annotations?

Ah, yes, overlooked. Tx.

The N2418 paper[1] refers to some existing schemes but fails to mention the
broadly used existing scheme that is most like the one in the paper, namely
Microsoft's attribute programming[2] for Visual C++.

Which uses single brackets.

There is a very large overlap in both notation and terminology, so a direct
adoption of this proposal could be very confusing to Windows programmers...

Cheers,

- Alf (in the "let's not reinvent the wheel again" mood)

Notes:
[1] <url: http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2007/n2418.pdf>
[2] General discussion in article <url:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc301337.aspx>, technical at <url:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zkwy014e(VS.71).aspx>.

Pete Becker

There is a very large overlap in both notation and terminology, so a
direct adoption of this proposal could be very confusing to Windows
programmers...

Microsoft is well aware of the implications of this proposal and does
not oppose it.

Sektor van Skijlen

Dnia Thu, 6 Mar 2008 11:48:00 -0500, Pete Becker skrobie:
On 2008-03-06 11:19:37 -0500, "Alf P. Steinbach" <[email protected]> said:
Microsoft is well aware of the implications of this proposal and does
not oppose it.

Steps taken by Microsoft might be less interresting, as Microsoft had invented
C++/CLI, a language that has been evaluated by the ISO C++ standard committee
as a language that would draw people out of C++ standard.

Some time ago I read the document that the ISO C++ Standard Committee produced
after evaluating C++/CLI and the only thing that makes me wonder is that ISO
C++ standard committee did not sue Microsoft, as Sun did for J++ (for C++
there were even much stronger bases for violating the rules of the standard).
I state that there were some interresting reason why it did not happen.

Just btw. ;)

Bo Persson

Sektor said:
Dnia Thu, 6 Mar 2008 11:48:00 -0500, Pete Becker skrobie:

Steps taken by Microsoft might be less interresting, as Microsoft
had invented C++/CLI, a language that has been evaluated by the ISO
C++ standard committee as a language that would draw people out of
C++ standard.

Some time ago I read the document that the ISO C++ Standard
Committee produced after evaluating C++/CLI and the only thing that
makes me wonder is that ISO C++ standard committee did not sue
Microsoft, as Sun did for J++ (for C++ there were even much
stronger bases for violating the rules of the standard). I state
that there were some interresting reason why it did not happen.

ISO just produces and maintains standards, it does not enforce them.

Bo Persson

Sektor van Skijlen

Dnia Sat, 8 Mar 2008 10:38:52 +0100, Bo Persson skrobie:
ISO just produces and maintains standards, it does not enforce them.

Yes, but the problem is that their implementation of C++/CLI works against
standard C++, especially that they recall their implementation as "C++". If
they called it, say, C++# (and never try to state that it is C++), there would
be no problem.

Or maybe the C++ standard committee stated that the C++/CLI is "not fierce"
because it's unlikely that anybody want to use it? :)