C++ and databases question

Sonoman

Hi all:
I am trying to find some information/tutorials on accessing a database (MS
access preferably because I have the software, or any other that I can get
for free) using C++, I prefer that the database is located on a server
because I cannot count on the user of my program to have it on his/her
system. It could also be a local or remote text file, but I think that would
be more complicated due to keys and headers and the such. I am absolutely
new to accessing databases with C++, but I only need a few examples to get
an idea and then I can do what I need to do.

If it helps I am trying to develop an address book that can be populated,
edited, etc. from a remote location. I also know a bit of ASP but I rather
use C++ because I want to learn the language.

I also want to run the program from an executable local to my system and NOT
the web. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob Smith

Sonoman said:
[...]

very ot
....but you might be interested in mysql and mysql++( for C++ ), and SQL
check out MySQL at www.mysql.com

/B

Socketd

Hi all:
I am trying to find some information/tutorials on accessing a database
(MS access preferably because I have the software, or any other that I
can get for free) using C++, I prefer that the database is located on
a server because I cannot count on the user of my program to have it
on his/her system. It could also be a local or remote text file, but I
think that would be more complicated due to keys and headers and the
such. I am absolutely new to accessing databases with C++, but I only
need a few examples to get an idea and then I can do what I need to
do.

www.wxwindows.org

br
socketd

Ganesh

I am trying to find some information/tutorials on accessing a database (MS
access preferably because I have the software, or any other that I can get
for free) using C++, I prefer that the database is located on a server
because I cannot count on the user of my program to have it on his/her
system. It could also be a local or remote text file, but I think that would
be more complicated due to keys and headers and the such. I am absolutely
new to accessing databases with C++, but I only need a few examples to get
an idea and then I can do what I need to do.

C/C++ ODBC APIs will allow C++ applications to access most of the
commonly available databases. Please consult the documentation of
Database on C/C++ client development. The development APIs and samples
for PostgreSQL can be found under

http://www.postgres.org/docs/7.3/interactive/libpq.html

-GK

Thomas Matthews

Sonoman said:
[...]

Check the documentation that came with your compiler. Some compiler
packages have APIs or libraries that help access databases.

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt